My new project R26

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by ianplymouth, Nov 30, 2020.

1. You said you’d replaced a couple of coils, were they with new ones? Could be faulty.

Could try the coils from the working cylinders with the ones that aren’t and rule out those being an issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. its trying to eliminate things one by one, moved the car into the workshop last night, had to move the Clio out first, we were supposed to have rain (that hasn't arrived yet) so i can carry on trying to find the fault in the dry.

all i managed last night was to put the loom back together so it looks half decent :openmouth:

3. I’m sure you’ll find it mate, just gotta be methodical like you say.

I’m an electrician, I hate fault finding in peoples homes... especially when you have to start making damage. Needs must.

manugtt likes this.
  4. I do electrical work as well as engineering on boats, i quite like fault finding in both areas, sure now that this is not an electrical fault more an electronic fault.

5. I love my job. I like the mechanical part, the handmade one. But bloody hate the electrical part! It´s hard to understand for me, definitely not my best part:sweat::sweat::sweat:

6. I'm in need of an R26 ECU if anyone has one or know where i can get one.

Need to prove either way if mine is good or not.
    Thanks

7. nice and easy fix then!...FFS,you get all the luck ian!

8. Well i have already been told that the ECU's don't fail, so that's why i need one, mines bound to to broken with a comment like that.

My Range Rover ABS unit failed, was told they never go wrong, replaced it with a used unit and never had anymore problems.

9. If the wiring is good then its got to be ecu related, i guess coilpack driver is causing issues. Nightmare hopefully not too expensive to sort.

Will need uch and keys to suit another ecu unless you get the immobiliser virginized.

10. Well, not bad at finish. Shame you´ll must to remap again and like @Brigsy says, the business of keys.

Brigsy likes this.
  11. Chris @EFI, says if i send him my ECU along with the replacement he will sort it for me, so no need to change all the other bits, Its the coding number that needs changing so the rest will talk to the ECU.

Brigsy likes this.
  12. The map will be swapped over to the replacement ECU, hopefully :laughing::laughing:

manugtt likes this.
  13. Yeah Chris will be able to flash all of the data over no worries so it will be plug and play.

14. getting the ecu will be a laugh though!..trying to find one second hand will be tricky..Wonder if Ash has any?

15. I spoke to Mark black at midlands Renault and he said he was getting an r26 in to break this week

16. As far as i know there is slight differences with the 225 and the R26 ecu's,I know Chris had some issues with my 225 one and he had to alter some software.
    i'm going to get the part number off of mine then will seriously start looking.

17. That would be great if he has one, i'm prepared to buy the locks and everything else if is whats needed, not even sure it's that but need to cross it off the list

18. have you tried Ash from hot hatch breakers?...hes always going to be your best bet,but obviously its still a tall order

19. Yes and he's got one, just going to check the part numbers tomorrow

20. Well the result is in......

Bought an ECU off of Ash Gourley

Sent it off to Chris @EFI, to transfer the map and code onto the replacement unit, although he has never heard of a Megane ECU going wrong.

Got it back this afternoon and fitted it about an hour later

All running as it should :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:
    Happy chappie now, bring on Thruxton on the 25th :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Brigsy, manugtt, Agreen and 1 other person like this.
  21. Congratulations.

I'm glad you found the problem

ianplymouth likes this.
  22. is my middle man cheque in the post ian?:yum:

23. :laughing::laughing::laughing:
    I had already bought some stuff off of him and was waiting for him to get back to me when you suggested him :openmouth:

24. a likely story young man!..come on cough up!!

25. Ohhh okay then, will drop it off next time i'm passing the end of your road :laughing::laughing::laughing:

andrewjeffs likes this.
  26. Forgot to give an update on Thruxton

Had an enjoyable day, once the Javelin staff eventually turned, i got there at around 07.15, my mate was waiting at the entrance for me.

Only one other person in the pits, he slept in his van over night

07.30 a couple others arrived, still no staff, i had a garage book for all of my stuff i carry, had to leave it in the car.

Eventually at 08.10 the staff arrived, said we had to wait 10 minutes before they would sort the booking on/collecting wrist bands etc, still not got my garage number, emptied the car or swapped my wheels over, still had noise testing to do as well.

with wheel swap and car emptied it was nearly 09.00 so off to the noise test, 84db very strange as it was 89db at Bedford :laughing::laughing:

the morning was great never had to wait to get out on the track, love these Jaguar wheels, flat bottom bolts never had to tighten them all day.

Afternoon started well, had a bit of a miss fire around Church, started getting worse with each lap.
    So thought it might be time to fill the tank up, even though it was still just under half tank, out again and miss fire gone :sunglasses::sunglasses:

about 4pm, came down towards the chicane into the braking zone, banged it down from 5th to 4th, nothing, thought i hit 6th instead, so then down to 3rd, nothing, shit i must have hit 5th, heard some banging from underneath, thought i ran over something.
    I then just ran around into the back of the Chicane, stopped and had a quick look under the car, couldn't see anything.

Got towed into the pits, lots of banging noises :confused:

Jacked the car up and found that the drive shaft had parted, the shaft was still in the gearbox (just) the outer bit of the CV joint was on the subframe and the bit attached to the wheel was just floating around :openmouth::openmouth:

Conclusion is that the 8mm bolts that holds the mid bearing of the long shaft had come out, then allowed the other bits to move and disengage.

Pulled it all out, pushed it all back together, found a bolt in my spares box, reassembled everything, packed up and drove home.:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

Lets see how Donington goes on the 16th :smiley::smiley:

Brigsy, BillyA and manugtt like this.
  27. Nice to see the car going well Ian, we are at Anglesea 14th.

28. Leave it in good condition for me then :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Have fun :sunglasses::sunglasses:

29. Will you be keeping the 630cc injectors or going bigger again when the new turbo goes on?

Not sure what the 630cc top out at?

30. I will be changing to 630's when the 6758 goes on, i'm running stock 250 injectors at the moment

I think Chris said the 630's top out at around 450hp, i'm not going that high so they will be fine

31. That's good info!

I think around 400bhp will be the sweet spot for a megane anyway! I'm thinking about a boost controller so I can have a willy waving boost with useless power and then the ability to turn it down for the majority of the time.

32. Thats what i was hoping for, 400hp seems to be a good number.

I wont be bothering with a switchable map, full or nothing :laughing::laughing::laughing:

33. Ive just had mine mapped on 630s with the 5bar rising rate setup and done 375hp no issues. Lights the tyres up with ease in 1st/2nd:laughing:

Agreen likes this.
  34. Mk3 ???

35. Mk2 r26 bottom end, 250 cylinder head and inlet with 172 cams fitted, 20t hybrid running on sagem s3000. Had to cap the torque at 340ft/lb as getting a bit of slip on stock 250 clutch.

Chris said the 5bar reg that you machined up for me works spot on.

36. I have two sets of 182 cams that i need to get sorted for when the engine comes out to fit the new turbo, does the Sagem ecu let you run the vvt ???

Good that the regulator worked out okay

Brigsy likes this.
  37. Sagem s3000 not capable of running vvt. Well it can possibly but you will lose boost control and id rather have that over vvt. I have the vvt solenoid and dephaser fitted on mine for ease fitting the cams to the 250 head, but not connected up and no problems.

Ive set the cams at stock timing too and you lose out a little bit low down but top end power absolutely makes up for it. To be honest the kangoo that its all fitted in does not need any more power low down at 1280kg:sweatsmile:

ianplymouth and manugtt like this.
  38. Power graph for reference 20210530_003641.jpg
    20210530_003656.jpg
    All fitted in this. It feels ballistic for what it is:tearsofjoy: 20210529_183415.jpg

ianplymouth, manugtt and Poppaboost like this.
  39. Got to love a sleeper!

ianplymouth and Brigsy like this.