My new project R26

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by ianplymouth, Nov 30, 2020.

1. well i ran up the engine today for the first time, this was truly the first start, if it didn't go well i could have deleted the video :laughing::laughing: well happy with the result.
    Only ran it for a minute, then stopped it, checked the coolant and oil levels, also checked it over for any leaks but all fine.

Ran it up again a while later, ran it to full operating temperature, sounds really sweet.:hearteyes::hearteyes:

there's a bit of a delay at the start, i was just checking it wasn't in gear as there no brake fluid anywhere in the system.

2. Very nice work ! :grin:

ianplymouth likes this.
  3. Ian you must be so happy with that! All your hard work getting it right. Respect to you.

4. Congratulations master!!

5. Cheers guys
    i am really pleased with the way its gone, just need to get the brakes fitted and bled then i can take it out for a drive.

6. you got the spacers for the callipers now?..i will do this at some point..can get my hands on some brand new mk3 callipers.

7. I have a set on the way, do you want to see if i can get another set for you ????
    Think there around £65 posted

8. i wont be doing it for a while ian...i just put a new set of brakes all round on my car...my mate bought the callipers for a project,but has never used them...When the ds run out,i will do it..

9. :hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

10. Not a problem :sunglasses::sunglasses:

11. and i have had a message to say my half cage is being delivered tomorrow :hearteyes::hearteyes::sunglasses::sunglasses:

andrewjeffs likes this.
  12. you welding it in..bolt in cages not that great for safety

manugtt likes this.
  13. I think it is a bolt in one, Meganes are really strong and i don't intend to roll it, it's mainly for the harnesses :laughing::laughing:

manugtt likes this.
  14. Never knows Ian! For the moment, you know the sweet taste of the gravel!:tonguewink::tonguewink:

15. I know, never say never
    But it's not my intention to go into the grave again :openmouth::openmouth:

manugtt and Poppaboost like this.
  16. Nice work, sound sweet that engine, like you said now just got to drive it. Any plan to run it in?

17. Going to have to stay local i think, last time i went for a little trip to Lands End, think that might be pushing my luck going there.

Will try roads out and around Tavistock, Callington etc :cry::cry:

18. A bit of an update for you all.

Its been a bit of 2 steps forward and one back this week.
    The guy has still not sent the spacer brackets for the callipers, so took the big discs off and put the standard back on, connected up the pipes and filled the brake system with fluid, had a leak of fluid from the front of the engine, guess the clutch is full now :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Tried to bleed the brakes, but found that the rear passenger calliper was leaking at the pipe fitting, tried a good few times to get it to seal, but i think someone had cross threaded it previously but had sealed it with with Loctite or suchlike.
    Got a couple of others coming so its on hold at the moment.

I did pull the fuel pump unit out, to sort the fuel pressure relief valve, thinking it was going to be the same setup, but no, Renault has swapped the FPR valve for a quite a small item, why why why :cry::cry::cry:
    So i have purchased a MK2 phase 1 unit and i'm still waiting for the delivery, i will do all the modifications and drop it in at a later date.
    The standard fuel pump unit is back in now, ready for the day i can drive it and start to run it in.

Rensport225 likes this.
  19. Will you be going for the full 250 fuel set up Ian?

20. Sure will be, got nearly all the parts now, so it will be just a quick swap over when the time comes.

21. Absolutely loving this tread, Ian. :smile: Hopefully we'll be at the same track day this year and I can have a look!

22. Cheers Eddie
    Hopefully be at Bedford on the 8th March, need to run it in first and the then get it mapped.

Sure i will be doing others this year :sunglasses::sunglasses:

23. Just reading this thread now Ian and see your point on the fuel pump being different!

Great project!

24. If you are thinking of going down this route in the future, get a 225 phase one tank unit now, there only going to go up in price :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

25. This is the difference in the 225 phase 1 FPR valve and the R26 one
    The small one is the R26 one

50923280713_47c85b9deb_k.jpg PXL_20210208_171041174 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

Brigsy likes this.
  26. Been out for a run today, first thing was to get the tracking done, once i moved it around yard it was obvious it was out.

Quite pleased that the rear figures are very close to each side, at least it doesn't look like its been crunched

50959815903_5d48a90a3c_k.jpg PXL_20210219_155719481 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

Brigsy and manugtt like this.
  27. after that i was time to give it a run, did 120 miles in total, went really well, out again tomorrow to put more miles on it

Quick stop off, so thought a pic was needed, it was so windy there

50960517146_6e23c12a95_k.jpg PXL_20210219_145941911 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

Jukidam, Muxa, Ian Hughes and 7 others like this.
  28. good day out today, although it was wet with a lot of standing water around, but managed to add another 220 miles to the total

Ian Hughes likes this.
  29. Quite pleased with the suspension as well, its not going to be to everyone's taste, wasn't as crashy as i thought it was going to be, it's not too bad on good "A" roads.

I went to see a mate and that journey was mostly A38, A30, A303 and then some single track back roads, about 10 miles of it, they were bad and very bumpy, there wasn't any big crashes etc through the car, it did get thrown around a bit but not uncontrollable, very pleased can't wait to get in on track to try it out.

Poppaboost and Conoboy like this.
  30. Pic taken about 100m down the road from the Jamaica Inn Cornwall.

51013444462_6211ff61a3_k.jpg Today's trip out by Ian Austin, on Flickr

Went out early this morning, as last Saturday i left it till later in the day to go for a run and it was so busy it was unbelievable, did a round trip of about 50 odd miles and only managed two times to get a real move on.

So this morning i got out before 9, (i know that late) had a really good run overall, mostly on A*** roads and 30 ish miles on the A30, in total i managed over 100 miles today and have done over 700 miles now.

Had a couple of really hard pulls right up to the limiter so i am saying it all run in.

Off to EFI on the 16th for my mapping so will see what happens there.

Booked Castle combe on the 10th April and again on the 23rd.

Lopes3d, Brigsy, Agreen and 1 other person like this.
  31. Good running in done...

Did you get around to fitting the modified phase 1 fuel pump? Waiting on one to arrive at the min too....

32. Its sat on the work bench along with the 250 fuel rail.

Will fit it sometime in the week as i need it for the 16th, also want to make sure its all okay for me to drive when its fitted, don't fancy changing it all at EFI

Brigsy likes this.
  33. You've the FPR adapted already?

I've not seen the OEM one so still trying to visualise the modification needed. hopefully get it this week.

Is it length or diameter that it needs to be adjusted by?

34. yes, it already modified and fitted and ready to go in the fuel tank.

Its the small end that needs turning down, its not much but it's needed.

I have a spare if you need one, £32 posted

35. Cheers, I have one already to modify it but if the cost to have it modified is mad, o might just take it!

36. In my experience, the best hour to drive hard and almost alone is after lunch. I used to drive early in the morning, I´m talking about to wake up with the sun. But always found some group of bikers and war dangerous to drive fast, so, at tea time, there isn´t no soul on the road.
    I´m glad for you master!

37. I think over here at the moment people are having there lunch then going out for a drive to either go for a walk or just to go out and slow down other cars on the road :rage:

38. Soooo many numptys on the road at the moment... it’s like everyone has forgotten how to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

39. Oh man, weekends in this country, after lunch, the people likes to sleep or to drink, sometime both!:tonguewink::tonguewink:

40. Totally with you on that comment, indicators are a dying sight now as are people using there mirrors.

That reminds me, i need to sort the memory card in my dash cam