My new project R26

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by ianplymouth, Nov 30, 2020.

1. I'm still waiting on the rods for mine, not sure if pec are behind with all the covid madness but engine dynamics hope to have them next week.

Will you be getting everything weight matched and balanced or just throw it all together?

2. I measured the ones i fitted to my 265 and they were pretty well matched, so they went in as they were supplied.

I'm trying to find another set of Iasa pistons or even CP's but i'm struggling

3. I've gone with the lower compression pistons that engine dynamics can supply, apparently they'll lower the compression to around 8:1 compared to 9:1 with the standard thickness head gasket.

Not sure on the turbo you're looking at, looks like there's a screenshot of the g25-550 higher up? For reference, the internal Wastegate version will fit, cooksport have set one up on a guy I've been speaking to on Facebook. I'm contemplating the 660, mostly because I'm an idiot. :tearsofjoy:

Attached Files:

4. Not sure what i will put on the R26, for starters it will be the standard 265 one and then that will give me time to look for another 6758 or the next size down turbo, as long as the engine internals are done then i won't have to worry about that later.

I asked Chris @ EFI about lowering the compression and he said leave as it is, apparently it will make the off boost power and torque really bad, i imagine it would be like an old 2 stroke, nothing, nothing, bang, everything in one hit.

Brigsy likes this.
  5. That's kind of what I'm hoping for lol! A real old school feel to it:tearsofjoy:

But if it's living it's life 99% on the track, the off boost performance isn't really a problem for me as ideally, I want to get a trailer to take it to track days etc.

6. this post seems interesting. good luck and give him strong friend!

7. unless its welded in..not bolted..i expect its more of a danger .

8. Well i have managed to source a set of Iasa 1st oversized pistons :laughing::laughing:
    PEC rods were not available at the time of ordering the pistons, so i have ended up with Catcam conrods, they look really like the PEC ones so we will see, they turned up Christmas eve :sunglasses::sunglasses:

Another delivery today of a genuine Renault oil pump (£69 posted :grinning::grinning:) and a rear crank seal.

Need to get on the phone Monday to order more bits, then the build will start :smirk::smirk:

Brigsy, manugtt, Agreen and 2 others like this.
  9. Catcams rods are ok, i have a set in one of my engines and had no issues.

10. Thanks
    Good to know, what power are you running ???

11. The engine has ran 440hp/400ft/lb with them in. Just had a freshen up, no issues with them so reused.

12. Thats really good to know :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Brigsy and Bob Thompson like this.
  13. My gosh, and how did the fronts handle that? Upgraded Diff I’d imagine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. A bit of an update

Parts have been arriving, hopefully tomorrow i will drop the head an block off to the engineers for the valve guides to be fitted and the rebore.

I have been cleaning and painting bits ready for the rebuild, i have changed the colour or the top of the rocker cover, the black didnt look good so its silver/aluminium with things like the thermostat housing alternator bracket etc in black.

Fitted Powerflex bushes (black)to the anti roll bar, purple ones to the track control arms and yellow to the top and bottom engine mounts.

Also started to run the cables for the battery relocation to the boot.

15. Forgot to upload the pics :flushed:

50850560536_5a820536e5_k.jpg PXL_20210118_105825560 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

50850652507_852833f3d6_k.jpg PXL_20210118_105857515 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

BillyA, Poppaboost and manugtt like this.
  16. Coming along nicely Ian, hopefully get to see you again this year and have a run out in it at some point.

17. Hoping to have this built or at least the engine built in the next two weeks, maybe three :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I need t get up to GSM to look for new seats, so it will depend on the seat of choice and delivery time.

Be good to get it out on track, will give you the heads up on when and where :smirk::smirk:

18. I really need to pull my finger out! :tearsofjoy:

19. Have you even started :laughing::laughing:

20. Valve guides came this morning, so head and block have been dropped off.

Now waiting for the call to pick them up.

In the mean time i have been cleaning and painting engine bits, also had to file the tangs off of another set of main bearings :openmouth::anguished:

Also didn't like the plastic bits by the doors
    50854161531_55dd482da2_k.jpg PXL_20210119_153403285 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

Bought some carbon wrap for the 265 door sills and never got around to doing that job, so i thought i would have a go :dizzy::dizzy:
    Its not perfect but for a first attempt i'm pleased with it :sunglasses::sunglasses:

50854160886_2213c82095_k.jpg PXL_20210119_163847042 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

Brigsy, manugtt, BillyA and 3 others like this.
  21. I'm waiting for 1 part before I can get everything balanced :sob:

22. What part is that ????

23. Lightened crank pulley.

24. going for it then :laughing::laughing:

25. :grin:

26. Been busy in the workshop today

Picked up the block and head this morning.

First thing was to gap all of the piston rings, even the oil scraper rings :dizzy: installed the rings onto the pistons.
    Then after that, fitting the conrods to the pistons and then fitting them into the bores with loads of assembly lube.

Fitted the crank, bolted up the conrods and torqued it all up.
    Fitted the new oil pump, chain and sprocket, new oil seal in the front cover and fitted that.

Fitted the splash guard and then the sump, upended the engine

This time i was talked into ARP head bolts :laughing::laughing::laughing:

50861003347_db3f86d763_k.jpg PXL_20210121_173153099 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

Conoboy, Brigsy and manugtt like this.
  27. Next was to build up the head.

Had to fit the oversized to this one, same as i did with my 225, these were the only ones available quickly.
    Also bought gold valve springs, these are supposed to last longer and keep there tension.

50861002787_1d03274c2c_k.jpg PXL_20210121_160135602 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

Brigsy likes this.
  28. new valve guides fitted, new valve seals all assembled

50860905536_902cfbf939_k.jpg PXL_20210121_173402156 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

Conoboy and Brigsy like this.
  29. Then fit the cylinder head and torque it down, will carry on tomorrow.

50860905941_4df484470f_k.jpg PXL_20210121_184646149 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

Conoboy and Brigsy like this.
  30. Ordered these yesterday, super fast delivery

50861067597_38ff232999_k.jpg 2021-01-21_10-08-26 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

These were inside, DS series track focused version, 8kg front and 7kg rear, going to be interesting to see what there like, was told there not going to be great on the road :laughing::laughing::laughing:

50860256083_2ccfeb3004_k.jpg 2021-01-21_10-09-41 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

Brigsy, manugtt, Agreen and 1 other person like this.
  31. Great progress Ian, you going for the Borg Warner turbo again or just sticking with your old 265 one?

32. I went for the RM bc coilovers, didn't realise the damper adjustment was underneath not up top, bit of a nightmare as it's not easy to get at!

33. 265 one at the moment, no deals going atm on the 6758's, got an adapter coming from the USA will see what that looks like and if it okay might just bite the bullet

34. I did ask when i order the ones i got, he confirmed the position, i thought it might be difficult to adjust thats why i went for the DS ones

35. Glad to see you busy again! One question, the rear shocks have the spring out the body so, why they have the body threaded??

36. Because they are used to adjust the ride height

37. So, there aren´t springs in stock place?? BC changes to McPherson system?? Don´t knew that point!:sweatsmile:

38. Yes the springs are in the normal place, its the shock that limits the off load travel.
    If you fit lowering springs the car still has the same suspension travel.
    But with the aftermarket ones or at least with the BC's you can limit the off load drop.