250 My first attempted oil service

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by bendavo27, May 10, 2019.

1. Hi Guys,

Had my 250 around 5 months now and its due a oil/oil filter service.

Just wondering if you have any pointers regarding this. How tricky is getting to the oil filter, heard it can be a bit awkward?

Also, does anyone know the best location for axle stands?

Thanks

2. Oil filter, I had to go back for a 2nd attempt with mine cause tricky to get at. Bought a set of oil filter grips from Halfords for about £12, piece of cake with those. Also need a square drive for sump plug think it is 10 or 12mm can’t remember. Might as well get new sealing washer for the sump plug as they don’t cost much. Good opportunity to change the gearbox oil as well if you were thinking of doing it.

3. yes must change oil seal/washer as its a collapsing type of seal and only designed for one- time use, its easy to over-tighten the filter, go hand tight then half turn with wrench, mop up the oil spill from alloy cross-member before replacing under-tray

4. Might have a look for the grips if it’s significantly easier..
    Got the washer from KTec.
    Also pollen filter but attempting that after mechanical stuff is sorted :joycat: Read a few posts on here staying it’s not the best.

5. Good luck with pollen, you’ll need genuine Reno part not aftermarket item

6. I made the mistake on my previous car (not a RS) of not buying and using filter grips. Thought i'd screwed the new filter on fully by hand. Oil seemingly went in fine. Turned the car on and all the oil pissed out of the bottom through the loose filter.

Messy mistake but luckily not expensive. K&N do an oil filter with a nut on the bottom which is genius. Not sure if they do one for the RS though.

7. Ha, we live and learn

8. Quite right. All part of the fun of doing car work yourself

9. Knowledge is power,ha.

10. Oh dear, I don't want to do that. Think I'll invest in the grips. Gone for the good stuff oil wise as its off on the track a bit this summer so wouldn't want to get another few litres :joycat:

11. The car probably will burn some oil on track. I did almost half a litre of oil during my last track day