MRS3 engine shut off

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by JesseH, May 3, 2020.

1. A few months back I got stranded on the side of the road in my 2010 Mégane RS. It's been fixed and drives again but I am curious to see if someone had similar issues or if anybody knows what caused this to happen. The car at the time had about 163k kilometers.

I was driving down a highway exit after pushing the car a little on the highway playing with another car. Nothing serious, no 250 km/h rev limiter action, just a few pulls (not even to redline). Nothing that should really effect/matter in a car like this.

After pulling off the highway on to a roundabout I slowly accelerated back to +/- 80 km/h when the car all of a sudden shut off. First thing I noticed was no response to any throttle input. Immediate reflex was to push in the clutch pedal and I saw the RPM drop to 0 instantly, engine just shut off on me.

I was able to let the car roll out and stop somewhere safe. My first thought was I blew the engine, fortunately that wasn't the case. Called up a few mates and started checking some basic stuff like oil, fuses and anything else obvious I might see. Couldn't find or see anything wrong with the car. After checking everything I tried to fire her back up once and she wouldn't start. Starter did it's thing but wouldn't start.

Got the car towed away to my local shop I trust. Ofcourse they had their schedule planned out for the coming weeks so my car was something they had to do inbetween (which isn't a problem for me, it isn't my daily).

At first they could not find anything wrong the car. No error/fault codes anywhere, engine turned over like it's supposed to, timing belt was fine so they had to go a little deeper.

After a week and a half or so of the car being in the shop and them trying to figure out why it wouldn't start and checking literally everything, from what I just mentioned to checking every single wire in the engine wiring loom the only thing they could think of was a little black, sealed box on the back of the battery called the Battery Control Unit. If I remember correctly they found this by following the starter and alternator wires, both went in to the BCU, of which I will attach a few pictures:

20200222-112007.jpg
    20200222-112018.jpg
    20200222-111959.jpg
    20200222-112047.jpg
    20200222-112024.jpg

As you can see one of the fuses inside the BCU has been soldered back together. This is the fuse that was blown/broken when they opened it up. They did this to test if the car would start with the fuse reconnected and it did.

They told be this did make the car start back up but they do not know how this could happen and why the fuse is blown. Which is still a mystery for me to this day. They said it must've been some kind of peak current but they don't know what caused it. They've been through the whole car and checked almost everything they could but couldn't find anything that might have caused it.

Like I said in the beginning, the car is back up and running now (with a new, OEM BCU. The soldering was just for testing purposes!).

Some people already told me it could be a faulty starter but I've never had any issues with it and I was obviously driving when the engine shut off all of a sudden, wasn't using the starter. The shop also had the battery itself on charge but this also wasn't the issue.

Does anybody have a clue how this could have happened? I tried to include as much info as I can remember but I might have skipped a few things. Don't mind asking if you're curious :-).

With kind regards, Jesse

2. Anybody's got a clue? :grimacing:

3. Think you need to check the wiring from that terminal to its destination, its probably rubbed through and touching the chassis, i'm not even sure where that wire goes to.

Did everything die, all the main lights, interior lights, dashboard etc, etc

If it was the starter it wouldn't matter unless you wanted to start it, first you need to find out where that wire goes to.

4. Nope, nothing died but the engine. And afterwards she did turn over just didn't start. But will definitely check all those wires (even though I suppose the garage already did), thanks for the tip!