Mot failure :(

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by ghosty0101, Dec 19, 2014.

1. My r26 failed it's MOT today on the emissions! They were three times over what the maximum permitted value is! They seem to thing it could be the lambda so I've got a new one to fit tomorrow, has anyone had a similar experience, and is it the lambda?

2. Mine was overfuelling like mad with a knackered front lambda. When I had it mapped at RS Tuning Paul said it was just dumping fuel in, so I'm assuming the emissions were through the roof.

3. Yeah I got a primary lambda so I hope that cures it. The emissions light comes on every now and then and it stinks on idle but I still get pretty good mpg! Confusing!

4. Put the new lambda on and ran it back down and it's only partly cured the problem, but not enough to pass! The guy either thinks I've had a remap I don't know about or the cat has given up after having too much burnt fuel pumping through it for so long! So now I'm screwed because my MOT runs out at the weekend and I have no idea what's wrong with it :worried: I might be faced with getting a new cat at Christmas when I'm already skint! Bloody renaults!

5. Where do you live

6. If your anywhere near notts and want it passing send me a PM

7. I'm near luton

8. Pm Steve, he helped to sort my old r26 out when mine had high co2 readings.

9. Notts is about 2 hours from me :worried: I've been quoted "about 400" from kwik fit and "£1267 with an oem part" from ATS! Is there a massive disadvantage to getting a milltek or power flow one for £150?

10. I have a spare cat kicking about in the garage.
    Lee

11. And the renault part is £900, I could cry...

12. The miltek / powerflow ones arent in the original location are they?
    As when the MOT regs changed it says that the cat must be in the OEM location etc etc, it would probably take a very anal tester to fail you but its always a possibility.
    TBH the majority of the quick fit price would be in labour i would imagine

13. Just find a friendly MOT place.

14. Also if you get an cat anf put it in a different place you'll need to either get the 2nd lambda mapped out or extend the cables

15. I can't find a friendly MOT place until after new year!

16. I know one but we're in notts

17. im sure if you paid him enough he would do one with out even seeing the car :wink:

18. Yeah my mate said he's good friends with a guy who would mot a skateboard if you gave him enough! Steves mate doesn't want to because I don't know him! So I'm up sh*t creek! It's just a pain at Christmas because I can't just go and get a new cat and nobody wants to mot it! Hire car o'clock!

19. Their should be enough people on here with a second hand cat, enough have been decatted

20. I've got one you can have, boxed up in my garage. I'm in Northamptonshire.

21. There you go, get a garage to change it for you its your cheapest option

22. Yeah I will, I'm just all flustered! I'm not getting funny with you or anything!

23. How much do you want for it?

24. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Why not just replace it with a decat instead of an OEM cat?

25. Because it's failed the mot on the emissions

26. Because it will still fail

27. Not much mate as I don't need it anymore, £20 ok?

28. BOOM bargain pay the man

29. I'd call the police on myself if I paid you that, if you pm me your details etc and we can arrange picking it up and stuff. I'll give you more than £20!

30. Lol no problem mate I'll pm you my address etc. Glad to help

31. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I know this but it is a big job to just replace it with like for like, Personally i would just wait til i could get it "mot'd" and fit a decat at the same time

May as well get something good out it lol

32. Yeah but I need a cat for it to pass the mot because it's effectively decatted at the moment! That's the whole point of me doing it! I'm not doing it for fun!

33. Be cheaper to remove morbid and stick a cat in there

34. More of a pain though! And then I'd have to take it out after.

35. youve never replaced the cat in the Megane then

36. Apparently it's a pain in the arse, I'll either get my dad to help or give up and pay someone! Cheaper to get a used cat and pay someone than have no car and have to buy a new OEM cat!

37. Thanks! Most helpful!