MK7 Golf R Opinions

Discussion in 'Other Automotive Brands' started by Mark., Apr 14, 2015.

1. I know there's a few people on here with the new Golf R and rather than hijacking someone's thread I've a few questions.

We're going to be getting one to replace the Wife's Abarth 500.

Our choice was between a couple of cars, I managed to talk her out of the bigger more sensible cars and round to some cars I could enjoy too.

She liked the New A6 and the New CLS.
    I talked her round to the Golf R (being VAG) and the A45.

The Mercedes was kyboshed as its running gear after talking to a mate and finding out it shares a lot of Renault parts so we both felt it was to much considering the lack of deals/discounts to be had. On a side note, if the next Megane RS starts using some of said parts Ill be all for it !!!

So our Golf R spec:

5 Door
    White
    DSG
    19" Pretoria Wheels
    Leather
    Heated Seats

The Golf R then for those that have them...

How are you finding it after having lived with it for a few months?
    Has it ever bored you or left you wanting more?
    I wont be driving it much as I've got the Megane and trackdays for my fun.
    When I do though it'll be if we're going away for the weekend or on a nice night Ill take it out a blast round these cracking roads we have here.
    I drive a manual for 30-40k a year with work so the DSG will be fine for me and a nice change.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  2. I don't own one but I have test driven the new cupra 280 which shares the same DSG gear box as the R. The gear shifting is quick but it felt like it decides when to change gear more than when I'm telling it so didn't really get on with it. Altho that was only a half hour test drive.

Jonny157 likes this.
  3. I went out in my mates brand new Golf R DSG Estate yesterday and very impressed. Seamless gear box and couldn't really feel the power as much as I was expecting, never the less a cracking piece of kit. Rare Estate car at the moment as all you see if the Hatches

4. Make sure you tick the DSG box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. I'm just coming to the end of a 2 year deal on golf r. Great car. Brilliant fun on the welsh roads near here. Excellent damping, very hard to unsettle and quick. The tvrs, m3s and Porsches I go out with are always surprised by it. The pace you can carry can hardly be called boring and the steering is nice but not megane incisive. Do it. I'll be getting an estate for my wife when her skoda Yetti goes back. Meanwhile I'm awaiting my cup s on ohlins to arrive.

6. My mate had one DSG and I loved it. Superb car in every way. Yes it isn't as good as the Megane in terms of driving at 10 / 10ths but point to point I don't think there would be anything in it at all. The golf is certainly quicker no doubt about it. The box is seamless as already stated.

For me there is too many about however my mate had his mapped at REVO and all I can say is it was ridiculous!!!!!

7. TBH if its mostly your wife driving it I'd go for something stylish but with less performance. A Golf R is probably unnecessary for her. Perhaps a GTI or similar?

8. Cheers guys...wee bit late but she ordered herself a new S3 Saloon which was delivered in September. I love it even though I rarely drive it. The DSG box is a brilliant bit of kit and the traction in all conditions is unreal.

Stunning looking car too imo

P1 MKF likes this.