MK4 Megane - 3rd Gen RS direction

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by 9rumpy, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Hi all,

Looking back at the previous generation Mk3 Megane (2nd Gen Megane RS), Renault dropped the RS250 in late 2009/early 2010, followed by the Trophy 265 in mid 2011. Then between 2012 and 2014 there were various versions of the 265 until the 275 became available in late 2014. Around this time the Trophy R came out. This was just over four years after the original Megane RS, the RS250 was released.

Looking at this generation, the MK4 Megane (3rd Gen RS) has followed a different release cycle. Very early on Renault have gone balls out and dropped the Trophy R within not more than a year since the RS280 was released. It is worth noting that the Trophy R with its impressive records on a number of tracks, sits at an eye watering £72K (or there abouts). A monstrously higher price than the majority of hot hatch buyers would be willing or even able to pay.

If we are looking at a seven year life cycle between generations, then we have about 4/5 years to go (from now) before the current Gen comes to an end.

During the 2nd Gen RS life cycle and after the Trophy R was released, there was a span of four years which notably gave us the 275 trophy and the Cup-S variations.

So the question is, how in your opinion will the current Gen's RS life cycle develop before it is replaced?

I find it difficult to believe they will sit on the standard (non-r) Trophies 1.8l 300bhp engine and weight/setup for a further 4 years.

Can you see a 310/320bhp or optionally, highly specked Trophy becoming available in the near future?

2. As you’ve mentioned they are doing things differently this time round.
    Who knows when they’ll do something.
    I doubt you’ll get more power, they already offer two options, and in the Trophy you don’t need any more.

What you probably will get, is a facelift and some of the bits from the R as options, exhaust and Ohlins I’d expect. I’d like Ohlins, but the standard set up is fine.
    The only thing I’d really want to change in mine is the feedback from the steering, it’s not as good as the mk3, somewhat lacking in life (nowhere near as bad as Audi levels of lifelessness) but I very much doubt they’ll change that.

3. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I cam see them binning off the RWS on a facelifted Trophy to get a bit of weight out the car and more performance into it

4. to be honest i'm not impressed with the mk4, i had a run in with a mk4 at Bedford out dragged it down one of the straights.

The guy (a race car driver) came over and started looking around my car, wondering how i managed to pull away from him, asked if mine was mapped (No) he was driving a Renault test car a Trophy 300hp, quite pleased as i thought it was a standard Mk4 sport :sunglasses:

5. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Power to weight is key ain't it