MK3 PK4018 rough shifting

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by autronix, Oct 2, 2023.

1. autronix

autronix RSM Club Member

I found that the gear changes are not smooth that all (like my 1.9dCI meg for example).
    I tested 2 oils , oem Elf and Miller (both RS spec).

gear cables are just fine , I mounted also an 4H-TECH short shifter but maybe this increased the rough feel...
    I just can`t change the gears super fast the gears like in my other cars. from second to third always is scratching is very very annoying , and totally ruins the driving experience , etc

... is this PK4018 characteristic or I might have issues with gear selector , etc etc?

many thanks

2. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

my 265 started like that, then third got worse to the extent i couldn't use 3rd, so shifted from 2nd to 4th, within a short time 4th started to go like 3rd did.

I stripped the box and found the 3rd balk ring was toast and 4th didn't look good either, the balk rings aren't available from Renault, you have to buy the whole 3rd/4th gear cluster, it wasn't that expensive. about £80 a few years back now.

i changed all the bearings and seals while it was stripped and it was great after.

manugtt, Brigsy and autronix like this.
  3. autronix

autronix RSM Club Member

many many thanks for the input!