MK3 Megane Carbon Bonnet

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by EAndy, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Just a very brief question really to a sort of show of hands to whether much interest would revolve around carbon bonnets for the Mk3 Megane?

I'm not listing prices / selling anything but I have contacts who I can utilise and enquire to as in the past I've had bespoke parts made for various cars on a one-off basis to having companies like Difflow in the States create diffusers for the GT-R that over 100+ have now been sold and fitted in the UK but just wanted to know if they were produced at a higher volume to reduce costings whether an interest would exist in such a product.

Obviously I appreciate as with everything costing is a major factor at £1 a bonnet the demand is nearly everyone at £10000 no-one wants one at all.

But it's literally just a register interest / enquire.

If there is quite a few after such a product then I'll happily liaise with the admin on the site to see if I can list up pricing and move things on further.

2. I would be very interested in a carbon bonnet :smile:

3. Would be interested too

4. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

There's already a couple available for the MK3

odinson likes this.
  5. Link?

6. good to know but insane prices!

7. Prices as a guideline would be under £1k so far below the 2490 euros as above.

Nigelo likes this.
  8. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

The ones I've seen were for 5-600, ill link them when I get home

9. As Jamie said there's some at around £600. If it's got weight purpose the difference is minimal

10. Links would be great cheers! interested to see whats around as 'google' wasn't my friend in this instance

11. Seen that T&biskits but it's still 1300 euros + delivery which makes it £1,202.96 landed to your door.

I want something thats under £1,000 and if any fitment issues, lacquer fading if people opt for a gloss finish they have a UK based point of contact to go to where the bonnets would be delivered in person by the company to make sure no damage in transit this is what the likes of F1 Carbon have been doing with the GT-R bonnets they've produced.

12. I have a spare bonnet you can use Andy if they want to layer one etc

13. Price? will be looking at getting a spare bonnet

14. A sexy, vented, carbon bonnet for under £1000 would be very appealing.

15. I think my Blue would pretty nice with a carbon bonnet! not sure if i would get brave enough to do it though

16. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Mk3s look shite with bare carbon bonnet due to the shape of them, I'd be getting it painted

odinson likes this.
  17. Aside from looks, and possible (marginal?) weight savings, are there any other benefits?

18. Very minimal as I stated above the meg bonnet is already pretty light

19. indeed, i think maybe a tailgate would be a huge saving!

20. I'm going to have a rang of parts made, happy to have a carbon boot made.

Moulds cost around £200 and then mine to keep for good to have future parts created from the moulds, pricing is comfortably less than 1/2 the price you'll see anywhere else but then i'm not running a business with overheads and huge mark ups.

Skimmed parts are cheap as chips, I can have what would look like a Carbon bonnet done, lacquered and well finished for under £300 as a price example.

Nigelo likes this.
  21. Sent you a PM Jamie, do you know where you can still source a Mk3 carbon bonnet?

22. The better option if you want to save weight is keep the existing bonnet, remove the hyd bonnet prop, sound deadening, central bonnet catch and plastic release lever, bonnet height adjusting supports and then cut out and remove all the central bonnet inner skin and fit 2 lightweight aero catches. Keep the rearward and side inner bonnet skin for the hinges and windscreen washer jet mountings.

Lighter than a Carbon bonnet, more heat durable, body coloured and cheaper.

Of course if you just like the thought of having a Carbon (or more likely plastic) bonnet, ignore all of the above.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    Mircea likes this.
  23. I've found a French company that offer a full autoclaved carbon bonnet with carbon skeleton (or a cheaper FRP skeleton). It's partly me wanting aesthetics (why not...I can afford it but don't want to get ripped off!) but also weight saving. As you've said, aero catches and removing all the related bits and bobs will all help shed weight.

I'm a sucker for carbon sadly, I did mail the Dutch company that offered carbon everything as a serious buyer but they never replied.

24. Did didn't go anywhere, did it?
    I have been looking at carbon hoods myself and have a mate that might be able to make OEM copies in full-carbon. Want to make sure there are not existing viable options (<€1000) before I put him to work..

25. You can get full carbon (autoclaved and wet lay options) bonnets for the Mk3, Gontier Racing in France and also Kirfel in Adenau do them but they're over £1600 without shipping.

26. My buddy can do a wet-lay version for €800 - €900. Will get one made for myself and post some picture, there might be some more interest from others.

27. Seems there is no interest, I will leave it than with just one for me :-)