250 Mk3 boot not latching first time

Discussion in 'Electrical & Interior - Security, ICE, Wiring Loom' started by Ben Jones, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Anyone experienced their boot not latching first time? Mines just started Un-latching itself when trying to close it, see vid. Sometime it closes, other times it closes and then pops open.

2. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Water in the boot switch?

3. How do I check? If it is, is it fixable? Looks like a new mechanism is £40 so not too bad

4. maybe sticky latch, tried wd40 ?

5. Ye gave it a spray tonight, couldn’t find the straw end to get it right into the latch but didn’t seem to help fix it

6. i bought an aftermarket one from ebay for about £8 and it worked great

7. theres different part numbers for the mk2 and the mk3, but they both fit, couldn't see any difference in them

8. With boot open you can replicate the latching action with screwdriver blade maybe give better idea what’s up

9. Does it still lock ? I had a similar issue when I bought my 225 and the dealer sorted it, mine would sometimes close sometimes not, but would never lock. The car took them two days to find the fault and rewire around some "computer" in the passenger compartment - cost me nothing but I'm sure if you had to pay the electrician and fitter to sort things it would be quite a bill

10. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

You can pop it out and will be able to see, Easy and cheap fix is to clean the contacts up if they are corroded then apply some Vaseline over them to stop the water getting to them

11. Seems it was water in the switch. I broke the tiny metal contact trying to dry it out, luckily it’s only £15 off RPD. Hopefully that sorts it