MK3 Axle-stand positions?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Space Cadet, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Is there a guide, or any photos anywhere showing where once jacked up (using the 4 marked jacking points) where to place axle-stands?

Thanks

rmwaller and Nigelo like this.
  2. This is what I found (and did on my car):

zh4492e.jpg

xoxhRQu.jpg

3. Thanks Martin, that's perfect, much appreciated!

Out of interest where did you find that?

rmwaller likes this.
  4. rmwaller likes this.
  5. Thanks Martin

I think this deserves being included in the Guide section!

rmwaller likes this.
  6. There are little triangles on the side of the car which highlight where the jacking points are....

7. Thank you for this! One question, it does say you need to lift the entire car on one side. Does that means you need two jacks at the same time to lift 1 & 3 at the same time or can I just lift on point 1 only with jack and lower the car on point 2 with axle stand? Thanks

8. 1 corner at a time i should think

9. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

You can easily lift the whole side of the Megane just using one point. I do it all the time.

Can even lift the whole rear from one side
    37ca1847ebded2dbecf66960d5a90ae1.jpg

10. Great!! I have not tried yet, but my DS1.11 just arrived so I’ll try this weekend. Hopefully in time for the last trackday in Anneau Du Rhin! :smile: thanks

11. Sorry to bring an old thread back and sorry for my newbie questions. I’m going to take off my wheels one at a time tomorrow to clean the arch and wheel, and have a good check of the disc and pads.

From these pics it looks like the trolley jack would be placed on the plastic trim just under the car, and then the axle stand would go on the jacking point.

Won’t this damage the plastic trim? And how do I know I’ve got the trolley jack positioned just right? Is it obvious there’s something solid behind the plastic trim? And are there no pipes or wires to snag/damage behind there?

Any actual photos of the exact trolley jack position would be helpful. I’m just worried I’ll damage something or the car will slip on the jack etc etc.

Thanks

12. Wondered the same thing myself

13. Lift from the jacking points, use the other marked points for axle stands - that's what a Renault mechanic told me.

However, the areas where the axle stands would then fit, could in theory damage the paint work and the rear ones might even slip - so I did this: Lift the whole side of the car up using the front jacking point. Place the axle stand under the longitudinal member behind the subframe at the front, and at the rear, place the stand right behind the rear jacking point (behind as in looking at it from the car's side). This prevents lateral movement of the rear stands. This way I found I had a secure placement for each axle stand and the bodywork on each location is strong enough to take the load. And you don't have to worry so much about paint work, because the places where the stands sit will be hidden from any onlooker, and should you damage the surface, they're very easy to touch up because of not being visible other than from under the car.

I used two pieces of 5mm thich rubber mat between each axle stand and the bodywork and that seemed to be enough for surface protection. And while I am talking about a mk2 Megane, most modern Renaults have a very similar structure down there, so the same methods should work fine on a mk3. In fact the Renault tech showed me his technique using a Talisman as an example, and I was surprised to see the underbody had almost the same layout as the mk2 Megane...

14. Thanks I assume as mentioned above the forward area immediately forward of the jacking point under the plastic cover is where you mean to place the axle stands. I agre I am not comfortable putting an axle stand on the jacking point would prefer a flat area.

15. No, I mean the longitudinal "beams" more to the center of the underbody. They start at where the front subframe ends and continue rearwards for a foot or so. Too bad I don't have a picture anywhere... But those beams, or members, or whatever you call them are just the right shape so your axle stand has something to cling onto so they won't slip. And with some insulation, the surface will be just fine. * looked for photos but still no luck, sorry :/

arch likes this.
  16. Actually just found a picture, it's a mk3 and this pic was posted by a forum member earlier IIRC. This method works a treat. The rear jack stays well in place when supported by the rear jacking point (place it so that it just touches the jacking point so you're sure it's a strengthened piece of steel down there). So, use the rear jacking point as a kind of a "guide" so that the axle stand can't move towards the outer sill area as the jacking point is stopping it.

Front axle stand to this position:
    225-axle-stand-placementa8e5a90313c9062d.md.jpg

arch likes this.
  17. Thanks really appreciate it

TurboJ likes this.