265 Misfire?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by ghosty0101, Jun 4, 2018.

1. I was sat in traffic the other day and noticed my car shaking more than usual. It’s now progressed into a slight splutter at idle. It hasn’t affected the power in any way and doesn’t misfire at all through the rev range, so should I be worried? If there’s something I can change then I’ll get it sorted asap because I like to keep my car tip top! I can’t seem to post a video on here but it just sounds like a splutter every second or two which can be heard and felt in the car. TIA

2. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Does sound like it is missfire. Do you have a codereader? May show random missfire if so.

If you are able to listen to the injector pulses as its a free way to rule those out, pissibly spark plug, possibly coil pack. They are the usual culprits :blush:

3. It does sound like a misfire, I had an R26 before so I’m familiar with injectors going! These aren’t as common for that though hence I asked, before I spend £270 on a new set! I might be able to borrow my friends code reader and see if that shows anything. It’s not displaying anything on the dash as of yet though, so would a reader show anything? It’s on 26k and hasn’t had plugs yet so that might be a good idea possibly?

4. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Random misfire may not bring up a light on display, it may have the code logged though. If you can read the codes it should point you in the right direction. And it will be clearable if the problem is resolved.

I would test your injectors before spending money buying new ones, can be done with a screwdriver.
    It would be more likely to be a coil pack or spark plug causing the problem. A basic plug check is free, check the gapping and colouration, even in the case the plugs are fine it could indicate what cylinder has the problem if it is only 1.

5. No code logged, I’ll have to do some old fashioned under the bonnet clue hunting at the weekend!

Big Uno likes this.
  6. Have you checked the fuel trim?

7. Checked the plugs yesterday, everything looked fine so I took her out, filled up and went for a good blast round some B roads and I seems to have stopped! I pulled over a few times to let it idle for a bit and it was fine! I did put some 95 fuel in a few weeks ago when I was running low to get me to a shell garage so it may have been poor fuel but it’s all good now :smile: