Misfire under acceleration (R26)

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Smouse, Aug 23, 2014.

1. I was driving on the motorway Thursday night and accelerated out of the 50mph roadworks and got a bit of a misfire. Didn't think much of it.

Then last night it got a whole lot worse. Under most acceleration it really started to misfire/judder.

This morning the idle seems slightly lumpy. (Not too noticeable). No warning lights on the dash as of yet and Ive checked for fault codes but nothing. Cars done about 36,000 miles. Would a wise guess to start be ignition coils?

2. Injectors if the idle sounds poppy. Plugs/coils

3. Cheers mate. I'll try the coils and plugs first and hope for the best then.

4. Plugs should be changed at about 37,5 k miles. It may be a reason.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  5. I think they were changed during the service in December but I could be wrong. I'll pull them out and have a look with you saying that. Cheers mate.

6. I think it'd be the plugs

7. Sounds more like a dead injector coil. One of mine cracked and behaved as you described.

Euro car parts sell genuine renault coils if so.

Dave

8. Guess you mean ignition coil!? ;-)

9. Cheers Dave. That's where I went Saturday.

Picked up some Bosch ignition coils and some sparkies. Going to replace them all today so hopefully be back to normal later.

Renault seem to love ignition coil problems. They went on the Mrs's Clio not so long back. Typically 2 days before she traded it in!

10. Spark plugs and coils seem to have done the trick.

Spark plugs looked average but seen worse. 1 coil in particular looked quite bad on the end so guessing that was the problematic one.

Cheers everyone.