Misfire - boost overload?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Mr Spoon, Oct 6, 2021.

1. So this has only happened once, but if I harsh accelerate in 1st and then continue to do the same in second, I sometimes get a very slight hesitation. Today I had a misfire.
    The boost drops and then builds shortly afterwards.

When I try to replicate it, it works just normal. So the question I have is, does the car have an overboost prevention mechanism?

I'm tempted to change coilpacks as I can't see they have been done in the 80k miles. However, it is so intermittent that i think im barking up a very wrong tree.

2. Ecu has protecfion for overboost, its pretty harsh from memory.

Try a new set of plugs in if not changed already. Can check to see if coils have any evidence of water ingress whilst changing.

If thats no good need to do some logging to see whats going on with boost, afr etc.

Mr Spoon likes this.
  3. it had new plugs 5k miles ago, but yes they could be faulty.

4. Morning Mr. Spoon, I had exactly the same on my R26, sometimes felt like the car had hit a wall, all boost dropped off, a short lived misfire, then it'd sort itself out. Many £'s later......new plugs, new set of coil packs and new N75 boost solenoid valve and sorted.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Mr Spoon likes this.
  5. thank you for that feedback. I'll get the plugs and the packs changed and see if theres an aftermarket boost solenoid available

Si271 likes this.
  6. Not sure how coilpacks fail normally but I had one go on Wednesday. It started off intermittent with the engine light flickering as the coilpack was playing up but then it went away after 30 seconds. Roughly 15 minutes after, I pulled up and started the car about 4 times - it would initially start fine but after about 10 seconds the car would misfire and was very apparent on the revs coming down (extremely jerky) but no engine light would show unless it was under load.
    Car reader said it was cyclinder 4 so moved the coilpacks over and thankfully the misfire followed it.
    Switched over to some Delphi packs as I was at Snetterton and afterwards the misfiring ceased. Managed to churn out 15 odd laps afterwards.

Mr Spoon and Si271 like this.
  7. I'll keep a watchful eye, theres no engine light when this happens, but it is so rare. I'm almost certain its boost related now you have posted the above.

Jimmy Lam likes this.
  8. could just be that map you have on it.

Brigsy, Nick and Mr Spoon like this.
  9. :smiley: waited for this to come up.

10. No engine light or any prior warning when mine did it. Just full boost, then........nothing. it felt like you'd hit a solid brick wall, literally. Then......it would boost perfectly. No lights, no nothing. Initially thought it was a fuelling issue, with the power it's running and with the 630 injectors I wondered if the fuel pump was maxed out, but....new plugs, coils and N75......seems to have sorted the issue.
    Who knows tho.........its a fucking Renault! [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Mr Spoon likes this.
  11. even my own car running 290lb/ft on a R26 with a RS Tuning map will sometimes completely lose all boost if you hit the limiter by mistake.Its always done it for the 10 plus years its been on the car.
    In that time the car has had everything changed..so it can only be the map causing this for me.When you change down and reapply the power,its all back to normal.Can certainly catch you out when overtaking if you mistime the gear change.

Mr Spoon likes this.
  12. Yes, I've narrowed this down to the limiter. Really pleased you posted

13. I have no problems with either of mine if i hit the limiter. Mapped by Efiparts.

14. good for you :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

15. Get your money out and get a proper map done :wink:

16. maybe yours isn't the "proper" map, after all its 2 vs 1 :wink: :smiley:

17. 3 different cars mapped at EFI for me and all good, RStuning :rage::rage:

Brigsy likes this.
  18. I smash the redline as if it's my old k20- all's a good'en . Also mapped at EFI

Brigsy likes this.