250 Misc mechanical squeak / grinding

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by TeaJay, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Hi Guys

I've noticed a grinding mechanical squeak on my 250 recently and today it has definitely got worse. It seems to be coming from the passenger side somewhere. Car is 4 years old, had new brakes year and a half ago (ish) and had no problems ... until now.

Symptoms appear to be:

* Only seems to do it in a straight line, as soon as I start to turn the steering wheel the noise either goes or changes frequency.
    * Tested the brakes while the squeak is happening and the noise doesn't change pitch at all.
    * Tried handbrake on while going and no change in pitch
    * Seems to only do it on low revs as well or at least does it most often on low revs ( < 2500rpm)
    * Changed through all the gears, jumped on and off clutch, in and out of gear and doesn't seem to affect it

Sounds like something grinding against each other :worried: I've checked as much as I can see and there doesn't seem to be anything obvious, albeit it was dark and raining by the time I got home.

I know it's not much to go on but I know a lot of people on here are very good with there hands and this might jump out at them as something they have heard of or seen before. Any help would be great .. even if its "take it too a mechanic" lol.

I'm getting rid of the car soon for a 275 and really don't fancy having to fork out and arm an a leg on fixing something major :worried:

Thanks in advance guys

Tom

2. Was this the wrong forum for this? :worried:

3. Arr, I did read it mate but couldn't add anything.

Me old man taught me, "if you haven't got owt to say, say nowt" :eek:

Have you whipped the wheel off and had a quick look?

4. Markblack@MRS

Markblack@MRS RSM Trader

this

5. Maybe it t could be the wheel bearing, does the noise vary with speed or is it worse in a right had corner than left hand corner or visa versa?
    As above you'll need to take it off to confirm.

6. Cheers guys. Bit of an update, drove around last night and took it too an empty car park and was swinging it left to right, around 20 mph (which is when it seems to be at its noisiest) with my friend in the passenger seat and his head out the window. We're now 90% certain its coming from the passenger side front wheel and is like a scoring sound or metallic grinding.

Haven't had it off the car yet as the weather has been dreadful and don't have a covered garage. Going to my dads though tomorrow and he has a double garage, so going to take it off then and have a look. Anything specific to look for?

It doesn't seem to vary with speed, noise is a constant, which i thought odd as I would of thought it would get a high pitch the faster I went but just stays steady. Seems to be worse when i had it on full lock than in a straight line after testing but was the same which ever way I had it (maybe a fraction more turning the car to the right, at full lock .. weight would go to the left of the car I guess, where I think the noise is).

Thanks again guys

Tom

7. Nmp

Nmp

It could be the metal brake disc shield catching. I had my wishbone changed and mine started grinding and it was that.