R26 mid or back box chop, or both

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Nunez20, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Looking at improving the sound on my r26, have read up on both mid and back box chops. But which do people think sounds better. I know its a personal thing but its not something I can just do and see which I prefer.

Also looked at getting a decat to jump up the bhp but what do happens around MOT time? seems alot of people have decats

2. Try first mid

3. I'd say back first, if you have a standard exhaust you loose the whoosh on boost with no mid box. I've got a decat and a back box chop and it's plenty loud enough and crackles nicely. And unless you know a 'friendly' MOT tester then it's not going through an MOT in a month of Sunday's I'm afraid!

4. I'll get a video up soon, I've done a before and after with the decat

5. Jumping on the band wagon here, but has anyone got any in car vids of the back box chop? Heard plenty on youtube from the outside!

Sorry for hi-jacking. Thanks

6. There is the group buy which is the back box chop with some new tips but not sure on the price

what should a back box chop cost

7. I'd personally go back box chop - i was driving with a friend who has a miltek system and he was seriously impressed. First time he'd heard it from behind under load, described it as it sounding similar to a jet taking off...

Engine warm, exhaust relatively cold - sonud a little heavier and 'poppier' when warm

[video]https://youtu.be/1lQJfbkqpek[/video]

8. Completely off topic, was yours the car in the fyd review video?

9. That sounds nice do you have any other mods or just the back box chop?

10. That does sound awesome!

Any in car vids??

11. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

My car had a Miltec 2.75" on it when i bought it, there were no box's in it at all only the cat, had noise tested at Oulton park and was 95db static, i removed the cat and it went up to 109db, now i have a full Scorpion 2.5" with only the back box and it is back down to 95db, i have a very nice MOT tester :smiley:

12. It was yes - excuse the remap BS that was mentioned in that.

I mentioned to him about the remap and it producing 228 with the dyno figures and data from the graph being obscure as hell... and it somehow come across as "being remapped to 228" /facepalm.

That AND he took the car down the WORST road around here. A really annoying review - i'm going to ask him to redo it soon..

13. Just a back box chop, nothing else

14. I'll try my best to get some soon :smile:

15. Need to get that done. What did it cost?

16. It wasn't too bad, he didn't mind the car and he's reviewed some pretty sorted cars since! And I guessed it hadn't had a stage one to gain 1bhp! Only thing I'd say is he needs a swear box that also includes the phrase "in my opinion"

17. haha i know what you mean; the car has been mapped by previous owner. It measures up against another mapped megane sport spot on - the dyno graphs are horrendous, so rollers weren't producing valid and reliable figures.

He has done some really good reviews; and the clothing isn't too bad either! https://www.youtube.com/user/Jamiebdub

18. In my personal opinion hahaha... I think the rear box delete sounds terrible with that whistling noise I currently have a mid box delete and a decat and it sounds amazing... just yesterday my friend with a 2012 mustang 5.0 gt with decat said he loves the way my car sounds especially for a 2ltr turbo European car.

19. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

I couldn't drive a meg with a backbone delete it sounds horrible... Mid box delete is the my option, although people with a back box delete will obviously say the opposite.

20. Yeah mine came with it done so I left it and I've just got used to it I guess, it's my car and that's how it sounds, if I'd had the choice I'd probably have done the mid box. I followed a guy who had both boxes taken out and it was silly loud and crackled all the time. I imagine that would get quite tedious!

21. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

In most applications I've always thought mod box going was better sound wise... Personal preference though ain't it.

I remember one of our lot had both boxes removed and it was awful. All the way to lemans and back with it popping and cackling... Mines doing it now with the map I have, need to get it tweaked ASAP

22. Where did you get it mapped? I need my decat mapped in. I've been offered a stage one remote map for £80. The guy had one put on his 265 and it made what they said it would on a dyno but it smokes a bit on boost which says to me it's a bit rich? Is a map on a dyno worth the extra £300?

23. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

Yeh, realistically you want the best you can get with a map. Easy to fcuk a map up so I'd always want to go somewhere established or renowned. RST/CGR/Henk are all safe bets.

24. Just ask yourself is the extra 300 quid better that 700+ quid for a new engine if it all goes tits up, and that's without labour to have it fitted.
    Its a no brainer!

25. Yeah true, are henks maps remote? I was looking at engine dynamics in Essex, they seem to know their stuff!

26. Yes the are mate, you basically run the rs tuning box and it records the live data from your car, you download the data and fire it off to him, he modifies your map sends it back to you and you upload it to your car, job done!
    Yeah only heard good things about them to be fair, never had any personal experiences with them but seem to know their stuff

27. Where do I find this wizardry?

28. Thank you!

29. Henk does a couple of maps, custom which is what Boardy mentions above. Or just a generic stage 1 flash, this is just uploaded, no data logging and sending to henk etc.
    Great bit of kit the rstuner it can do a lot more than just map, it has a lot of features such as turning off the traction control on non cups that returns after 30mph, you can alter the steering wheel weight for the ph1 / non cups which are lighter, access the abs computer etc etc

30. Yeah should have elaborated a little more!
    But it is a great piece of kit

Thanks mate

31. Oh sweet! So I'd need to order the premium one and let him know my mods etc and he can suit it to my car? I've not got anything crazy, just a different filter and forge dv and decat. Can you have it mapped to come on with the tcs button and stuff like that? I've got an R26 by the way so I don't think the steering stuff applies. Shall I just send him and email and get him to recommend something?

32. It's been a while since I've looked, but no not able to have switachable maps on the mk2's.
    You shouldn't need the premium one unless you want to hook a wideband up (May be worth checking yourself as its been a while!).
    You can datalog etc with a laptop hooked up with a basic one.
    The new units always used to come with a free stage 1 generic map, the custom maps were additional purchases, although it may have changed - May be worth emailing him to see if he can do you a deal if your just after a custom map.
    Henk always used to be able to custom map with no wideband although he left a bit more safety margin and recommended you got it Rr/ afr checked afterwards.
    Only bad thing is that he won't remote map in larger injectors - at least he didn't when I last spoke to him.
    Henk was always massive on the cliosport forums and seems pretty active on the ozzy forums as well.
    There used to be a thread over on meganesport comparing henk and Paul's maps IIRC they were within 2-3bhp of each other with henks having a bit more midrange and Pauls a bit more top end.
    Custom maps need you to do WOT runs in 3rd/4th gear? Then you send henk the log he changes a few things sends it back and repeat a few Times till it's done

33. Going back over a year.. people are saying they'd chop the mid box rather than the back box? Surely the back box is more restricted!

34. Thinking about having my mid box removed (R26). I've seen the youtube videos and the cars do sound a bit tractory on tickover. Is that the case or do the videos exaggerate that? What's it like driving normally at medium revs?
    My car seems too quiet so I'd like a little more noise and to also lose the referees whistle!