Mid box delete

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by harpo, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Only just got my 250 and new to all this tweaking and performance stuff so excuse my ignorance, but, what exactly is a 'mid box delete' .? Is it simply cutting out the middle exhaust box? And if so what affect does this have?

2. Yep Box gets chopped out and replaced with a length of exhaust tubing....
    Better sound, not sure it will perform better without a map though.

3. I have removed my mid box and its (imop) a lot better in sports/extream mode it pops and gangs like a good un !!!

4. heheee I fancy that!

5. Is it straight pipe or does it need bending?

How much have people paid for it?

6. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Straight pipe, the silenced that gets removed is huge.

I paid 50 quid

7. How about getting rid of the rear silencer as well!

8. Too loud doing both !

9. Ok cool ill give the place that took the centre silencer out of the Clio a call. Does it make enough of a difference to be worthwhile?

10. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Yes, sounds much better, pops and bangs like a good un!

11. Ok great, and I'm guessing there's no side effects like the flat spot on the clio 197's?

12. Just ordered one in Slovakia. Unfortunately willbe there earliest mid of October. Price was 93e

13. Cant you get it removed locally? Surely and exhaust shop/garage stock the replacement piping?
    Or am I missing something ?

14. Getting mine done next weekend in basingstoke, £50...

15. Effect is better performance

16. Well? Is it done ? Whats it like??

17. Next weekend mate!

18. Awesome ! Do you know whether thats before or after a map or does it make no difference ?

19. I dont think it make a big diference, for that u need to decat or a dp

20. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

That was before my map.

its a bit louder and sounds like it boosts "harder" if you know what i mean?

21. Just asked the local chainstore tyre/exhaust garage if they'd do mine and he said 'no sorry mate we dont do that'
    Me 'why not?'
    Greasy oik 'we just dont'

Point of interest.....is the std 250 rs meg exhaust stainless or mild steel ?

22. Thanks for that mate. I didnt know they were there :-)

23. Booked on for tomorrow :-)

24. Just had it done.....whey hey! Awesome rumbly sound, not too loud ( i was worried it was going to be) and with sport mode pressed i get the nice pops on the over run happy chappy

25. Hi, when you say mid section chop ate we literally talking cut out to never be used again? Ice my rs250 booked in long life tmrw but was thinking ahead that if I sell it in years to come can I return it to standard easily enough. Can't wait to have some more noise as the standard is rather quiet but don't want to add a huge bill putting it back together to stock one day. Any replies would be appreciated gents. Thanks Craig

26. Tbf mate, for how much its costs it aint worth putting it back to standard to sell.

27. I left mine deleted on my Clio 197 when I sold it.

28. Thanks for the replies. Got the work done today at Long life branch in Basingstoke and it sounds great, rumbles pops and bangs and is actually not to loud higher up the revs so best of both worlds.

29. How much did he charge you? Waiting for a free weekend to pop and see them in Basingstoke. He's a good guy - just done a custom exhaust for my mates HPE powered Anglia! Sounds the nuts!!

30. Matt did the work for me a nice guy. Mid box chop was £70 that included the VAT. Didnt take that long about 45mins. Sounds great, he said for another £70 could remove the rear box but it would be very aggressive sounding. I'm happy with mine as is, a happy middle ground really that the Mrs won't moan about..well too much

31. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Midbox delete with a Decat sounds the actual bollocks, Sounds amazing!

32. Couldn't be arsed with decays and recats been there with a Subaru turbo swapping them over come MOT time. I bet it will sound great though as with just this chop the car actually sounds like it runs. Before mates would say it doesn't sound particularly powerful, would take it for a spin and be very impressed but all said the exhaust at stock is quite dull. Best £70 ive spent and leaves some cash for other ideas

33. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

You need a better mot tester then LOL.

I loved the sound of just the mid box chop but with a decat it is something else, Sounds a lot deeper and growls, You do loose the jet engine type noise though

34. I actually love the jet type noise from my 265!! Sounds the nuts

35. What setup are you running?

36. Pipercross panel filter, apart from that she's standard.