Michael's RS225 F1 - Converting to RS265 & R26 LSD

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by Michael Ritchie-Robinson, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Hi All,

New here and hoping to learn but also offload alot of information on my Megane F1 225. I have had it since 2013 and know how much I learnt from forums in the first place and how much that info can benefit new buyers etc. or just people looking to do similar builds.

Over the next few weeks and months I will be sharing all of the information and progress on converting my Megane F1 225 to a RS265 motor and R26 LSD box, along with a heap of other changes which I will elaborate on in further updates.

Currently the car has 165k kms on it, I have had it since 99k kms and I have done track events from about 2014.
    The current motor runs well but I have sump pressure that is quite significant over 1bar from what I believe to be a tired ring landing after running lean at 1.4bar. I reloaded the stock map and the car has been running like this for 3 years now.

After not being able to get myself to sell the car I decided I wanted to rather refresh it for the next 5 years and really make it more formidable on track.

Here is what the car looks like at the mo and Ill post some of the current work done.

45467626_10213113680825985_8002563703641735168_n.jpg

Agreen, aaa and Ryan Butler like this.
  2. So this is what the engine looks like at the moment:

20210728_112300.jpg

The current state of the car is the following:

• 15t turbo from a MK3, running stock software file at the moment.
    • 63mm downpipe and exhaust.
    • 50mm custom boost pipes,
    • Large aftermarket intercooler.
    • Power flex handling pack fitted.
    • Custom big brake kit fitted running CL RC5+ pads, rears are Ferodo DS.2500 racing.
    • Brake lines have been replaced with braided lines.
    Many parts on the car have been replaced or rufurbished over time really making it quite fresh underneath such as:

• Steering rack and drive shafts have been refurbished,
    • Powerflex handling pack had replaced most of the stock bushes etc.
    • All rack ends and tie rod ends have been replaced as well as all links.
    • Front Shocks and shock top mounts have also been replaced.
    For track I then use a set of 17" Clio speedline rims with RE11's.

Some more photos for reference:

20140925_113848_zpsf3cbdbbd.jpg

Thanks for reading. More to follow.

manugtt likes this.
  3. Here is a list of all of the parts that I have brought in to make this build happen. some was imported from Engine Dynamics and some from K-tec Racing.

• NGK Performance Iridium Spark Plug Set
    • Megane RS Auxiliary Belt and Tensioner Kit
    • CRANKSHAFT REAR MAIN OIL SEAL
    • Megane 225 / 230 Lightweight Billet Steel Flywheel and Clutch Packages OEM Organic Disc
    • MEGANE CLUTCH COVER BOLTS
    • MEGANE FLYWHEEL BOLTS
    • REPLACEMENT LOWER ENGINE MOUNT (STABILISER)
    • Thermostat

• BC Racing Megane 2RS BR Series Type RA Coilover Kit - 8/7
    • Forge Megane 2 RS Intercooler Hard Pipe Kit -Black
    • Forge Megane 2 RS Straight Pipe - Black
    • ITG Megane 2 RS Induction Kit - Black
    • Forge Megane 2 RS Air Hose Kit - Blue
    • Heko Megane 2 & Megane 2RS 3 & 5 Door Wind Deflectors
    • EBC M2RS Phase 2/C3RS Yellowstuff Rear Brake Pads (backup)
    • Silicone Coolant Hoses for Renault Megane 225 and 230 with clamp kit

Then here are the items for the build sourced locally:

• Meg 265 Motor (50k kms) with ARP rod bolts and new cambelt fitted (new).
    • R26 Gearbox
    • Siemens Deka 630cc Injectors
    • Driveshaft seals
    • Service items - oils etc.
    • Dot5.1 brake fluid & LSD gearbox oil.
    • Brake caliper paint.
    There are alot of other items I will be getting to as well from an attention to detail perspective but I didnt want to bore you with that.

Ill post some pics of the parts.

4. The RS265 Motor and a R26 Gearbox the day I collected them.

20210308_175554.jpg

The ARP bolts fitted. A common upgrade here in South Africa when boosting the Mk3's.

IMG-20210308-WA0005.jpg

The Engine supplier has done this conversion before so he was kind enough to change the oil breather cover for me to a version closer to what the Mk2 has already.

IMG-20210304-WA0012.jpg

The same for the upper timing belt cover and mounting to accommodate the MK3 VVT. I will just need to fabricate the 3rd mounting bolt on the RS265 motor for stability.

IMG-20210304-WA0006.jpg

The new timing belt fitted.

IMG-20210304-WA0007.jpg

The Coolant sensor & the knock sensor has already been swapped on this motor to that of the MK2 by the engine supplier to save time. I will decide while I am busy if I want to rather mine or not.

manugtt likes this.
  5. Here are some of the import items that will be fitted during the build:

630cc Injectors.

20210430_085910.jpg

R26R uprated Clutch and solid flywheel.

20210728_112950.jpg

20210728_113044.jpg

Something im really looking forward to on track is the BC Racing Coilovers!

20210728_113417.jpg

20210728_113436.jpg

20210728_113447.jpg

A nice refresh of the boost system with the Forge 50mm Boost pipe kit.

20210728_113733.jpg

Wanted this in Black but unfortunately stock was low and had to settle for blue, Forge Air hose kit.

20210728_113838.jpg

This being a 14yr old car I know how these hoses can break when they move and so decided rather replace the entire coolant pipe system for longevity.

20210728_113935.jpg

An ITG cold air intake system as I didn't want to relocate the battery and atleaest with this I get the custom plate to move the battery over and run the induction into the wheel arch. My battery holder is in any case currently broken.
    The kit also allows for the ECU to bolt onto.

20210728_114117.jpg

A Heko wind deflector kit which I have wanted for AGES!. Great for on track to slightly open windows to hear the car and tyres without all the wind noise.

20210720_114424.jpg

6. I decided to fit some goodies in the mean time as the existing pipes were failing so fitted the boost silicone pipes so long as I do still use the car as I am prepare it to rip it apart.

20210713_201731.jpg

20210713_201749.jpg

& then to make some space in my garage I also fitted the Wind deflectors lol, it really goes well with the MK'2s

20210720_120738.jpg

20210720_122139.jpg

Lastly just to add the caliper paint, I found this product works so much better than the spray cans and will go a long way to making the calipers pop again

20210728_112750.jpg

7. Lastly just to add for today is abit of my game plan on this build based on research and leveraging other peoples experience:

• Empty Aircon system,
    • Strip the front of the car off including boost system etc.
    • dismantle enough suspension to disconnect drive shafts.
    • Get engine and box out.
    • Check upper timing belt cover will work,
    • Make 3rd mounting point on the RS265 motor,
    • Major service new motor, Install new crankshaft seal,
    • Swap the thermostat outlet from the 225 to 265 motor and replace the thermostat,
    • Fit custom fabricate 10mm plate to fit the 225 throttle body onto the 265 manifold,
    • Fit custom vacuum plate and block off regulator on the 265 inlet manifold,
    • Check and swap the knock sensor and coolant sensor on the 265 motor with the 225 parts,
    • Swap the boost sensor on the inlet manifold from the 225 to the 265.
    • Swap over the 15t turbo and downpipe,
    • Fit the R26R flywheel with new flywheel bolts,
    • Fit the R26R clutch with new clutch cover bolts,
    • Install and prefill slave cylinder,
    • Swap drive shaft mount over,
    • Swap Pencil coils over,
    • Install new injectors,
    • Install new drive shaft seals.
    • Refit engine and gearbox,
    • Fit new imported parts like coolant pipes and boost system etc.
    • Get existing vacuum hoses to fit into new positions.
    • Reroute fuel line accordingly.
    • Fit new coilovers front, maybe rear closer to the end.
    • Re-assemble the car,
    • Fill with coolants etc.
    • Get aircon re-filled.
    As said there is a bunch of other attention to detail type stuff I want to get to but thats the plan for now. Let me know if I am missing something obvious.
    It obviously sounds easier said than done but I know guys have done this and gotten it right.

I wanted to do this properly and I also wanted to keep it very simple as I want a nice and realiable but strong and fast track car. Hence the standard upgrade parts, no bigger turbo and using the stock ECU without VVT for now.

When the build is stable for a while I might then investigate taking things like VVT programming and bigger turbos seriously but for now I will be happy with this as I know it will be fast on track and be very reliable.

8. Sorry just the one obvious thing to add is that the car will obviously need a retune. I am keeping my options open at this point in time but I have some ideas on who I am going to use and that can successfully code the 630cc injectors here in RSA.

Boost will be around 1.4bar and ill be happy to make 200 kw on the wheels and around 400+ nm. That will be plenty and very usable power on this frame.

9. Lot of homework to do I can see!!:tonguewink:

10. Might be worth fitting the 250 fuel pump and 550kpa regulator in tank and using stock 250 injectors with rising rate fuel system. The stock 250 injectors can be coded into the sagem s3000 no problem.

11. Thats an interesting suggestion, I have never thought about that.

Unfortunately I dont have 250 injectors so this option would actually cost me more than what i already have. and I am not looking to make more power to the point where my current fueling will be an issue.
    However this will certainly be worth keeping in mind if I wanted to upgrade the turbo one day and need to start fueling more.

Do you know of any links where someone has done this and documented it?

12. @Michael Ritchie-Robinson hey bud. Apologies as I know this is an old thread but enjoyed reading it now fully :smile: Also an RS owner in SA. These cars are so scarce here nowadays

Any update on your ride? Where about in SA bud?