Megane rs250 won’t start.

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Matthew mee, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Hello all,

put a thread up the other day about the Megane not starting. Thought nothing of it and went about replacing the starter. (One of the worse jobs imaginable) Turns out a new one was already fitted but changed it anyways.
    Car still won’t start.

anyone have any ideas? Or even point me in the right direction. The car is currently in bits on a ramp

2. How was the car running before hand. I take it all the dash is lighting up just won't start when you press the button

3. Unfortunately bought the car like this. Thought it was just the starter. It will bump start no problem and drives fine after that. When I press the button the ignition turns on (lights on dashboard) but nothing after that just a click sound and that’s it. The car does not turn over at all.

4. How old is the battery, could be that. Have you had the battery cover box off and checked everything's connected. Your getting no power to the starter

5. Will replace the battery. Unsure how old it is but could be faulty. Currently have it charging overnight.

will also be looking at the main fuse behind the battery incase it’s blown.

6. Think there is a 400amp fuse fitted in the fuse block, because of the cold the starter will draw more current and if the battery is not 100% charged it will take more current as well, all this adds up to overpower the fuse and blow it

7. That’s actually quite interesting, have a new battery there so going to replace it first thing along with checking the main fuse.

but even if the battery was low would it not even turn over a wee bit? Literally not even a single crank which I found strange.

8. Battery is fine then

9. Could it be one of the pedal switches?

10. Possibly. So today have a mechanic coming with a diagnostic computer to see if it can shed some light on the situation.

I ruled out bad earth so believe it could be the main fuse blown behind the battery or as you say the pedal switch.

11. One of the lads near me had a similar issue on a 265. Turned out it had a ghost immobiliser fitted.

Id be checking the wiring and fuses as above

12. SOLVED!

Okay so got the car started today and would just like to thank everyone for their input. Turns out had to fix a complete mess. The actions taken were as follows:

1. Had to replace a refurbed starter that was put as it didn't work.
    2. Replace a busted fuse in the cabin (10amp) bottom right.
    3. Replace a fuse in the engine compartment 25amp (F19)
    4. Tighten the negative terminal as it was missing a 10mm nut
    5. The main fuse box behind the battery had been taken out cut in half then a poor attempt at soldering was made on the fuse connections (honestly could have done it better blind)
    6. There were 4 connectors on the bottom of fuse box, 1 was broken, 1 wasn't connected and 2 were okay.

The main fuse box is completely trashed so had to loop terminals 1 and 3 together to get it started (this bypassed the shitty solder mess)

In total it wasn't just one problem that caused the starter issue but a number of things combined. If anyone has the same issues have a look at this thread and hopefully it will help others!

Again thanks everyone for your help!

Brigsy and Ian Hughes like this.
  13. Pleased your now up and running, now enjoy your car

14. Shocking what some people do to their cars isn’t it?! Will you try and source a replacement fuse box behind the battery, or live with the mended one?