Megane rs 250 cup high mileage worth stage 2 upgrade?

Discussion in 'New to the Club? Why not introduce yourself?' started by Smithy86, Jun 9, 2022.

1. Hi guys recently bought my rs 250 cup has the following centre res deleted k@N induction kit and stage 1 running roughly 290 bhp. The car has 95.000 miles is it worth taking it to 320bhp with the high mileage any answers would be greatly appreciated thanks .

2. High milage on a car is not necessarily a problem if its been well looked after, regular oil changes etc., and adding a further 30bhp will not necessarily affect that.

3. Thanks for the reply mate would you say 320 bhp is the sweet spot for these cars just using it for the road at the minute but would like to try a track day ? .

4. You should have few problems, running 320bhp. I run 360bhp in the R26, and its very reliable, regular upkeep is the key, keep on top of any problems. Track days are a good way to help improve your driving skills, try to go with like minded people, take your time, it is not a race, go enjoy, take your car home at the end of the day. My next track days are at SPA in July.

5. It’s more the torque than the headline bhp figure and how well it is mapped that will make the difference. Who did the map on it??

I bought mine with a generic Celtic flash map on. Was running 295 and 330lb, when I took it to be remapped. Had it done properly by Chris at efi and it’s now got 2 maps, 275/290 and 310/349. The high boost isn’t dramatically more than the generic map but it’s so much different to drive. It actually feels faster on the low boost map than the generic map.

The generic Celtic map on the raw figures looked ok but the ecu was pulling timing throughout the entire Rev range and wasn’t great.

usual caveats at 95k there’s going to be wear on everything so you might not make the 320 your looking at.

6. Your going to need an intercooler upgrade aswell if that’s all the mods you’ve got at mo.

7. And an upgraded recirc valve or blanking plate

8. Thanks Not sure what map is on at the minute as it was done a few previous owners apparently I’m in Doncaster so was thinking of taking it rs tuning as it’s only in Leeds. I forgot to mention it has a blanking plate already I’m thinking ketch sports cat or possibly decat and rs pirates intercooler or Wagner plus new mapping that’s as far as I would like to take At the minute.

9. RS uprated intercooler similar price to wagner.

10. Go for the smaller Airtec, my 265 is running one of them at 400hp with no problems

I have the smaller one on my R26 as well

11. My 265 had 114k miles on it and i did 30+ trackdays in my ownership before i forged it, when striped it was like new inside

12. That’s good with the mileage hopefully I can get another 20k mileage out of the engine fingers crossed. I seen the airtech good price as well.

13. I have the smaller air tech. I’m in wakey so not far from you. I had my r26 mapped by rs tuning but For personal service I’d go to efi even though it’s a bit further. Not a knock on rs but personal preference. Also wouldn’t bother with the sport cat for cost to bhp gain. Been that route aswell. You’ll maybe get 10bhp.

14. Had a Wagner cooler before and quality was v good bt if you can get an air tech cheaper you’ll be fine

15. That’s good to know mate I keep hearing off people that the standard cat is very restricted . Il go for the air tech and remap see how that goes.

16. Don’t get me wrong the standard cat isn’t good but bang for buck your not gaining much for circa 500 quid on a sport cat. If you can pick one up cheap fine. Alhough i hope I get there first

17. :grinning::grinning: