R26 Megane R26 - xenon low illumination problem

Discussion in 'Exterior & Bodywork' started by wenDesignR26, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Hello everyone

Maybe someone can help me to fix that problem - my headlights with xenon are not working as they need to, it's too low illumination, I can't even drive at night without high beams.

I changed the D1S bulbs, and result is the same. It's about 30% weaker illumination than friends R26 :/
    Does anyone know what can be problem for that? Can it be because ballasts, or something else?

Got two comparsion pics, one of my headlight (low illumination, not sharp line), and one of my friends R26 headlights (great illumination, SHARP line of the beam).

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Looks like the auto levelling is not working to me, i don't have the knowledge of how they work though unfortunately. I'm sure someone will be able to help though.

3. But the light would be more powerfull than, that's maybe bigger problem than the alignement, or?

4. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Actually looking at it, it's two different backgrounds, it would be easier to see if they were level on the same wall. Is it the colour temperature or brightness of the light that you are finding the issue?

5. Not the colour temperature, these are 5000K, the problem is that I can't see anything driving at night, it was the same with original 4300K and same with 5000K, nothing changes except the colour. Need to be brighter like friends one.

6. That's the different, the left one is mine, the right one is his. He got original bulbs, nothing changed. Problem is that I got low power on mine, don't know where problem can be!

Attached Files:

7. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Is your friends the same car? The projector headlights on the Megane are known to be pretty poor.

8. Yes, it's R26 too.

9. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Hmm.... odd! By trying a different set of headlights I cant think of anything you can try to get them like your friends.

10. What bulbs did you put in?

11. Very likely you have dirt/dust on the back of the projector lens.
    Mine did, and were like this.
    Basically as the xenon burns hot the glass (ball) projector lens gets hot and this attracts any dust and coats the back of it.

To clean -
    remove headlight from car.
    Take out xenon bulb.
    Use something like a baby wipe to clean through hole on back on lens.

You can also strip light down and clean the whole thing.

Also check if your outer light lens (plastic) is dulling. These can also be pretty easily cleaned up well too. Easiest to use a kit off amazon etc.

12. This may not be the issue that's causing this, but there are small plastic pivoting levers that form part of the suspension setup that control the height for the lights on the R26. It's worth checking that these are working correctly because the ball joints have a habit of coming apart.

Do the lights go through the full level check routine when you start the car with the lights on? They should move through the full range and settle at a point if I remember correctly.

13. Thanks all for suggestions.
    Here is the pic of mine and his R26 side by side. Left is his / Right is mine

I will try to take off the headlights and clean all the stuff that's possible.
    I got the same problem with Philips D1S bulbs that are original with 4300K, and now I got some low-budget 6000K bulbs, and the light is the same, so problem can be only in headlight projectors or balasts.

IMG_4324.JPG

14. IMAG0538.jpg What do your headlights look like during the day? Hopeful not like this.

I have to drive at night using the force. Or like Tommy and by sense of smell.

15. Haha not :smile: I would be happy if this were be the problem! :smiley:

16. Open the headligths and clean very carefully.

17. Your projectors are burned inside and are no longer reflective. You can confirm this by looking at the projector lens. If its milky - thats you problem.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

18. Also thats the consequence of running low budget bulbs, they dont have UV coating and burn off the aluminum reflective coating.
    Basically there are two solutions to this, either by recoating them with vacuum aluminization, or getting new headlights, or you can retrofit diferent projectors.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Xanda73 likes this.
  19. Thank you all for great answers. Waiting for warmer days, to take off the bumper and check the lights right way. Will post with pics back, when I find the right problem, to help someone further. :smile:

MilosB likes this.
  20. Thanks mate,
    I need informaton how to take off the bumper.

21. Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk