Megane R26 tow bar help

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by dannydub, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Right, I know i'll probably get a bit of stick at the fact I want to fit a tow bar to my Megane but it's either that or sell it and I really don't want to.

I've bought a tow bar for the car and went to fit it last night. Got it all bolted in last night but because I have a KTec 3" system the exhaust doesn't fit past the tow bar bracket which is welded to the new crash bar.

Has anyone ever come across this and made modifications to get round it?

I know it's a long shot but thought I'd try my luck

Thanks in advance

2. I think I can safely say nobody else has tried it lol .. Have you got any pics ?

Maybe need a custom back box

3. Does the towbar fit with a stock RS backbox?
    I was bidding on an RS compatible towbar a while back but lost it.
    If yours fits on stock and you get rid can I call first dibs? :wink:

I want a towbar too, it's not weird to want your car to be practical as well ad fun, saves running 2 cars. :smile:

4. I have one on my 225! its great towing my sailing dinghy and when people start laughing as think think its a 1.4 just drop a cog and take off!!

but.... it has to be bought from Renault as they give you a load of other stuff to make it fit! its a 'brink' towbar but they went bust or something and they will only sell the 225 one through renault I'll find the part number if you're interested

5. I want one as well; I have a tow ball mounted bike carrier for my DH Mountain Bike, I'd much rather take the Megane on the country roads than the Sportage.

It'd have to be a detachable one though :wink:

What's the price of the Renault one?

Paul

6. *goes to find the part number* bbs

7. Yeah the one I was bidding on was Brink. Came with everything. I lost it as I forgot to watch the auction. It went fo £56

8. 7711237113 in 2010 it was 290+vat + wiring loom + fitting

9. I bet that's not cheap

10. I rang Renault a couple of weeks ago and they have discontinued the tow bar.

All I need it for is to tow my jet ski less than a mile down to the shore.

The bar I bought came with a large swan neck which is held on with 2 bolts. So when I wasn't using it I can just unbolt it. About £200 cheaper than a proper detachable one.

Think we're going to try and modify the bracket the swan neck bolts too. The nose end of the jet ski weighs about 75kg max. We're going to cut the bracket then weld in strengthening plates to make sure it doesn't bend. I'm guessing if I had a stock exhaust it would fit but I can't bring myself to take the KTec system off the car.

Fingers cross I can sort this, if I do i'll put some pictures up

11. Before I hack the tow bar apart does anyone else any info which will help me out?

Cheers

12. Won't there be legal issues around altering a towbar e.g. if it were to break whilst driving and the trailer came off and squashed somebody you would be liable, rather than if it were standard and it had corroded and broken, your insurance might pay out? I imagine you'd have to check what your insurer says, they may say they won't insure you if you use a modified towbar... always best to be safe. :smile: