Megane R26 - Non Runner - Whats it worth to someone?

Discussion in 'Cars For Sale' started by SteveKozy, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Hi All,

Alas some bad news on the car front and as such i'm testing the water as i'm not 100% sure of what to do. My Megane r26 went in for its MOT in February and has been in the garage pretty much since.

The car had a small impact to the side the day of the MOT needing a new door. This was all repaired and not on insurance - so car has a clean title.

I then spent just shy of £3000 on it (inc. door and paint) and has a fresh MOT. Work included. New Front discs/pads/rear discs & bearings and pads. New steering rack/steering rack arms. New swivel bearings. Big maintenance bill but it was necessary to keep the car tip top.

Then getting it back finally last week, it felt a little wheezy, went for a drive and something didn't feel right and sadly its lost compression. Cylinders read 180, 180, 180 and somewhere in region of 70psi.

So the engine needs a rebuild. Having just spent £3k on it, the rebuild options would seriously hamper my ability to live for the next six months as i'm coming out of contract and looking for work.

The spec of the car is as such -
    Chassis approx 76k
    Engine had approx 15k
    RS275 Engine (needs rebuild) -
    RS275 Turbo
    RS275 Front Brembo's
    RS275 Fuel System
    630cc Injectors
    95mm Airtec Intercooler
    BC Racing Coilovers
    Miltek Turbo Back Exhaust
    Micheline PS4 Tyres
    Sabelt 330mm Steering Wheel
    ITG Induction Kit
    Godspeed Front G Hook floating 2 piece discs pf z rated pads
    Godspeed Rear G Hook Discs &bearings and DS2500 pads
    New Swivel Bearings
    New keycard
    New Steering rack/arms
    Pioneer Android Dab Head unit
    18" r26 alloys in anthracite
    Michelin PS4 Rubber (5mm)
    RR'd at 330bhp

Mercury silver - all graphics present.

One scratch about 1.5cm on rear bootlid

The car is really nice and i hate to break it.

I don't know what one of these is worth as it currently is. The work that has gone into it is massive. It runs and drives still though would recommend a trailer to pick it up.

I am hoping some of you guys can give me an indication as to what its worth as is?

There are photos on my intro/build thread here - https://rsmegane.com/threads/my-introduction-meg-f1-r26.20924/

Please feel free to ask any questions you may like here openly or feel free to DM me.

Thanks

2. That is such a shame, can you not wait until you get a new job to fix it? after all the work being done and money spent you would certainly loose out on this, especially if it is a nice example, you will struggle to find another one if you search at a later date.

3. Thanks @tof73 it is a real shame.

Unfortunately. I don't know when another contract for work, will come along and it's my daily driver/only car.

I'd have to spend a couple of grand on a decent runabout and still then need to save to fix this. And I don't really have it to spend right now as it is. Hence my predicament.

I know I'll take a big loss and love the car but tricky right now to see how to see past selling it.

4. Sorry to hear this.

How much does engine rebuild cost?

5. hows that engine gone so quick at that mileage..?..who tuned it?..

6. Well. I will not say it's anything to do with the tune or the tuner. They are massively well known and reputable. I don't see the need to name them. On the basis I hold no ill will to the tuner or the work they've done. It was just bad luck.

You run a modified engine. You run the risk. It's just that I think. The engine ran very well, tuned as it was for over a year, since it went in (previous ownership) . Something just wasn't happy. And if it was running stock fuelling and boost it may have never presented itself. You roll the dice and play right.

I've had much more expensive engines go bang. 9/10 there is very little reason. A micro fracture. Something slightly out of tolerance. It just happens.

I can pay more money to strip it further but at this point I'm seeing if it's got any value as is.

I would really rather like to keep it. But sometimes needs must.

Dann2707 likes this.
  7. you send to Spain
    Godspeed Front G Hook floating 2 piece discs pf z rated pads

8. Hi All, quick update - easier to put here than anywhere else.

I've had a chat with my garage around repairs and i'm now trying to cobble together all the money i have in the world in order to keep and get the car back on the road (at least in the short term). My long term plan i'm undecided upon as yet so i may still part ways. It will have cost me many many thousands over the last few months, especially with this repair. So part of me is still wondering if selling is the right path. Hard to imagine a better drivers car for the money though, i'll be honest.

Anyway that is where i am at at the moment. Thanks for all the comments and messages.

9. Just logged to see if you'd responded to my PM but best way is as above so everyone knows the situation.

All the best with what you decide. I hope you get it sorted :smile: drop me a message if your plans change though :smile:

10. Well just in the way of a final update.

Decided to go all in....i don't want to get rid of the car. I truly love my RS and there is nothing driver wise that comes close for the money for me. So i've gone all in and funded a fully forged top to bottom build.

I've bought a few visual modifications in the way of RS3 Clio aero skirts and a maxton splitter and rear diffuser kit.

Can't wait for it to be done and back and get it on the road again.

Thanks all for the interest. There may come a day when i sell it but when i do you can trust it will be quite a nice little proposition for the next owner and not a headache.

Si271 and Poppaboost like this.
  11. Who are you getting to build the engine Steve? I'm in two minds as to whether I keep my R26 and forge the engine, or sell and replace with an E92 M3 or Golf R.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

12. Hi.

It's being done by Floyd at four ashes in the Midlands. He's excellent and heard nothing but good things before deciding to use them.

In regards to your dilemma. I honestly couldn't think of a better drivers car for the money than the r26. I might be able to offer some opinion for you as regards the e92 M3. I didn't have it long. Took it to the ring and sold it soon afterwards. It was a very capable car and the engine is a peach. Loves to be rev'd. But it was not exciting. Compared to my E46 it just felt numb. And that's because it's very good. But it doesn't feel like an m3 it feels like a 3series if that makes sense. The r26 I much prefer. It's more playful and hard and very sharp. But the M3 lacks that character.

I guess it depends what you want from your driving experience though?