Megane R26 F1: Track day project

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by Louis, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Hi all,

Been here lurking for a while now and thought it would be polite to intrudes my self and the car!

I'm 29 years old, living i Sweden. Half french so thats the reason i bought this baguette racing car!
    This is a track day car only, other wise I drive a mini Cooper.

The car is a Renault Megane RS 2007 the upgraded model R26 F1 edition which has 227 hp and 310 nm, Bermo brakes, Cup chassis, sport exhaust, limited slip differential and so on...

Since original the following is done:
    KW v3 damper
    Forge Intercooler
    Forge dump valve
    Open air filter
    SMF and helix clutch
    Full Miltek race cat system
    330m discs front
    New carbon pads from Pean Sweden
    Federal 595 RS-R 17 "
    Mapped to 270hk / 370nm
    Move back and change the battery to release space for better air filter
    Switching to 4-point harness from the original

Upcoming projects:
    Adjustable camber plates from AST suspension ordered via the K-Tec Racing
    Build a front splitter
    switching to lightweight wheels
    Then it will surely more ...

There is a saying in swedish: "Gul och ful men jävligt kul" - Yellow and ugly, but damn fun

Best Regards from sweden!
    /Louis
    2016-06-24-19-56-01_img_0204.png

2016-06-24-19-59-49_rudskogen_.jpg 2016-06-24-20-00-29_image1.jpg 2016-06-24-20-00-29_image2.jpg
    2016-06-24-20-00-29_image3.jpg

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    f3nr15 and matt e like this.
  2. Got my AST adjustable top mounts from K-Tec now! :hearteyes:

2016-06-24-20-05-26_image.jpg

3. This is form the last track day with the Renault Club in Sweden!
    The Gopro died (bad battery) after 5 laps... need to get a new battery..

4. Gult är inte alltid fult. Awesome car

5. Swedish? Thanks mate :smile:

6. image.jpeg Got my hands on a 4-point harness (not the seat) will be here next week!

7. Btw I'm looking for some new track day wheels, any one have some ideas? I was thinking about 17"X7,5-8 offset around 55, looks like td 1.2 are real nice?

ewant81 likes this.
  8. I have a set of TD 1.2 and they are a good fit with cheaper tyres at 17". Also much lighter than the standard R26 rims

9. Sweet, what spec do you have on your wheels?

10. I think 17"x8 running ET55.

11. Thanks mate, will order this Santa is in town... Hopefully sooner..

12. I doubt you will save on tyres when comparing 17" and 18" as they are more or lees the same price for slicks or trackday oriented tyres. The wheel weight saving can be big tho

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

13. Would you rather recommended 18" instead of 17" for track use, and if so, why? Need all the help/info I can get on this subject!

Will be using R-tyers and not slicks.

Thanks
    /Louis

14. Not true at all. When was the last time you bought semi slick tires and in what size.

I was very, and still am with pilot sport cup 2. They cost me about 140 euro for a 225 45 17. Before I used R888, on the track where I usually go, which is really rough surface, they get very soft, like chewing gum after three laps. First model of michelin cup were great also.

15. 225/40/18 is the same price as the equivalent in 17" for the r888r last time I checked (a week ago) - 240€ a peice aprox.

holsy10 likes this.
  16. Read the post above, its not the same tire, but price difference is significant. Same tire in 18 (cup 2) is around 200+ euro, so I think that counts as a significant difference in price.

MilosB likes this.
  17. For me the price is about 100£ more for a set of 18" then 17". Riding on 17" for track days now and feel like that's a really good size!

MilosB likes this.
  18. The cup are not that mich track oriented tyre as the r888r, further more if you look at the track only slick tyres the price is same. Cup2 are more of a fast road tyres IMO

19. Last time I checked the AD08's that I am running are much cheaper in 235/45/17 than 235/40/18

Might not be for all tyres, but typically the 17" wheel is more common and a good bit cheaper.

Louis likes this.
  20. Have you tried both of them on track?

They are both semi slick tires. In my case, r888 was worst then cup/cup2. It overheated after 3-4 laps. R888r have no idea so I wont write my opinion since I have not tried it myself.

21. Not me personally but a friend who drives rally actually, and they were tested on grobnik which has the most agressive tarmac of all tracks there are and is famous for owerheating and cheving up the tyres.

22. haha, ok...

23. Haha, guys if you want do talk about "how good/bad" the r888r or the cup2 is please take that in a different thread! :smile:

MilosB likes this.
  24. Now I see where are you from :smiley: . Its strange to hear from you that the cups behave better as most of them preffer the r888,
    Here is a pall (Mocibob with his r26r replica against Rajmond on the track.) The r26 was on r888 tyres.

sorry for offtopic. :smiley:

25. As long there is race videos, its all good :hearteyes:

26. image.jpeg
    I need to fit a new front lip since the old one broke on a track day, and was thinking about fitting a rehno front lip from eBay.

Any other suggestions or pictures of a rehno fitted on a 225/r26 would be great!

27. Haha, wrong forum info again, wrong driver etc.

Louis, if i was you try with something affordable, like federal 595 rsr in 17, see how they fit your driving style and tracks you are driving on. Talk to people on the track with similar fwd car/car setup as yours, power output. Track days are supposed to be fun, not something that will burn a hole in your wallet (they will eventually, but try to postpone that as much as you can).

MilosB likes this.
  28. Louis, i really like the look of cupra R spliter on the megane:
    [​IMG]

the rhino looks so cheep to me :worried:

29. Hi mate,

Haha don't worry about me, I've used Federal 595 rs-r for almost 2 years now! My question from the beginning was never about tiers but about the best wheel size for track day use, so ether 17" or 18" because I was planning to buy new TD 1.2 later on! But thanks for the info :smile:

Cheers!

30. Oh my, oh my! That's what I need - big thanks for that mate!

MilosB likes this.
  31. Sorry, going into off topic got me confused. Car is ment to be driven on 18, but I dont think that driving on 17 makes a big difference. 17 cheaper tires, you can buy more tires and have more fun.

sorry once again for off topic

32. You could always try skoda Fabia splitter at around 13 quid and it doesn't catch like the original

33. image.jpeg image.jpeg

Got my harness brackets today, and starting to remove the back seat to loose some weight and make place for the 4-p harness. Think I will get a half-cage in the future and also new bucket seats and 6-p harness, but this will do for now!

Before I go all crazy on the car I will invest in my self and become a better driver by attending to as many track days I can!

Hopefully "brexit" will keep pulling down the GBP so I can buy all the things cheaper since Sweden don't have much when it comes to Renualt tuning!

/Louis

34. image.jpeg Finally I got my harness so I can install it this weekend, will update with more photos! Track day in 2 weeks, hopefully I get to install and adjust the camber plates as well until then!

35. image.jpeg
    The mailman also brought me some stuff from eBay:
    GoPro skeleton frame 2£ inc shipping
    GoPro external mic 1£ inc shipping
    GoPro Battery eliminator 25£ inc shipping

This allows me to record with better sound in the car and also never have to worry about battery life or destroying the original battery!

Just-that-ek likes this.
  36. Update:

took my ass down to the garage today to install my new 4-p harness:
    IMG_0271.JPG IMG_0273.JPG

After that i took the air filer out for a cleaning, don't think that has been done since jesus was around..

IMG_0262.JPG

And the most important, since i always forget this the 1st laps on each track day!

IMG_0274.JPG

TomSladen and Danith like this.
  37. When I was cleaning the air filet I thought about geting more air to the box and I have no clue how to get more air there! Do any one of you have any ideas or pics of how you done it? (and yes, i have thought about moving the battery to the back and prob i will but thats a winter project!)
    IMG_0266.JPG

Attached Files:

38. image.jpeg Time for a new track day at Gelleråsen in Sweden. A short but but technical track, and I would love to get some inputs on the driving!

Thx

Fastest lap this day, 90% full attac since the tiers was almost done.

39. Loving that sticker :grinning:

40. I really need it since I always forget to turn it of :grinning: