Megane F1 driver in Ireland

Discussion in 'New to the Club? Why not introduce yourself?' started by Dave Smith, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Hi guys,

Picked up my first non Japanese car a few weeks ago. Its a white 2008 UK imported Megane F1, no3268 i believe. Wasnt convinced on it but too it as a part exchange on my 2001 impreza and instantly fell in love with it.
    The drive is intoxicating, the chassis is so well balanced and its the first car ive ever owned that i havent immediately wanted to put more power in (for the moment anyway)

It has a few small issues. Drivers side driveshaft has play, and makes a ticking sound when turning under power so as soon as i fond the right part number ill be changing that out.

Secondly there is a lot of vibrations at certain revs, it almost resonates and isnt comfortable. At cold idle it will shake the teeth from your head. Ive had a look at the top engine mount and had it out, its a Febi one and looks new, i think my next bet is the gearbox mount but im not convinced its the mounts. At lo idle its as smooth as butter, but at very low speed its bad, driving around a carpark at low speeds its very prominent.

Other than that its a lovely car and im really enjoying it.

2. welcome along, also check the top left engine mount behind the engine.

3. Where abouts in Ireland are you. Just purchased a 225 F1 myself.. Based in Wexford

4. Possibly the dmf on its way out if it hasn't been converted to smf.

Mine did this, when idling it would shake the whole car loads. When driving it would be fine.

I drove on it for a few months and it was fine, couldn't afford to do it straight away.

I replaced all the mounts prior to the dmf but that's what it turned out to be.

5. Yep, sound like split dmf, replace with whole package while in there, up side is can still drive for quit while till starts sounding like bag spanner’s

6. So i replaced all engine mounts bar the easy one on the farside near the firewall, that was already replaced. And its night and day different, feels like the engines not running having been so used to the thing vibrating itself to bits!!

So we replaced the aux belt whilst we were in there and drivers driveshaft.

Unfortunately the car is still making the clicking noise whilst turning under power after the shaft was replaced so back to the drawing board.

Even more unfortunately is the car going into limp mode sporadically, it has the dreaded "check ignition" warning ESP light and limp mode. I have a replacement N75 valve on the way so im hoping its that.

1 out of 3 issues fixed.

7. In Dublin myself, did you buy the yellow one that was up for sale?

8. I had the 'check ignition' light an limp mode and it was caused by the loss of the three bolts that fix the exhaust to the turbo just behind the heat shield. Worth checking that first cos it's a very cheap fix and if you've had a lot of vibrations ....

9. Cheers for that. I'll check it out.

I did notice there was a bit if play in the "harmonic balancer" (I was told it was that) but it was the lowest pulley on the aux belt.

Could have been some source. But I think they're quite vibration sensitive engines, lots of people seem to suffer from it

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk

10. No bought then r25 225 F1 off CoPart, very light damage all fixed up now delighted with it.. Really clean and well looked after thank god was very lucky..

11. Ah cool, always tempted by them cars. Are they all insurance write offs? or can you get non declared ones?

12. Mine was a Cat D with very light front passenger damage, now you don’t have a clue what kind of state the car will be in but I was very lucky that it was really well looked after I’m delighted with it..

Engine is perfect with 80k miles and turbo has zero play in it, hardly a mark on any other panel and a load of recent new bits like shocks, engine mounts etc.. so what I saved on that I blew on mods

13. Thats a great result so. Let me know where you get your performance bits.

14. I got my exhaust & BOV off a Megane Owners Facebook page and was well worth it as there the most expensive parts.. The rest I picked up I got all the info off those Facebook pages as I knew very little about 225’s before owning this one..

The main reason I got the car was to
    mod it hopefully hit 300bhp and use it as a daily and track toy.. It will never be sold so I’ll always be trying to improve handling & performance but keep the OEM look

Did you import the car yourself??

15. Sounds class. I actually part exchanged mine for my 2001 STi impreza, was bored of the car and it was becoming a money pit. I originally just got it to flip but i love it, so class to drive. Gonna daily it and try leave standard for as long as possible.....

16. Yea I had a JCW Mini for about 10 years and had just done about everything I could do to it and wanted a daily with a little more power and more options to mod.. Few mates have Meg powered Clios and I loved the engine but prefer the look of the 225

Yea I have a C63 that I took off the road for the winter to pay for the mods but I can safely say I have blown the budget .

Might bump into you at a track day would like to see the difference between R25 & R26