Megane 3RS Brakes

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Joey B, May 3, 2021.

1. Hi Guys,

I have a 2010 Megane 250 cup fitted with OEM brakes. Bought the car with 70k miles and now it's approaching 100k.

I've always enjoyed the car but feel the brakes are its weak point - odd considering the brembo callipers up front. I was driving my Dad's 2017 Skoda Octavia diesel the other day and the brakes on that felt better..........

I was thinking of upgrading to Ferodo pads but suspect this will not address the issue.....something else is wrong....

Anyone else had similar problems? Is it the case the brembo pads do not work well unless up to temperature? Most of my driving is in town so the brakes are rarely getting hot.

IMG_4410.JPG
    Any help or suggestions would be fantastic!

Thanks, Joey

2. If you want really sharp brakes from cold then try Carbon Lorraine CL8's, bit pricey but amazing.
    Or try Ferodo DS Uno's they need a slight bit of heat in them but also work well.

Make sure that your brake fluid is fresh, should be changed every 4-5 years if just a road only car, more often if its tracked.

I did a trackday with standard Brembo pads and they were not as bad as i was told they were going to be.

3. Thank you Ian!

I have asked my garage to inspect the condition of the fluid but potentially they forgot.....

Do both those pads (Carbon Lorraine and Ferodo) require high carbon discs?

4. Yes
    You should always run HC disc's on these, there not that more expensive than cheap shit disc's.
    If you don't know its been changed recently then its going to be worth replacing the fluid anyway, use something like RBF 600 or 660 or such like.

Also worth now and again really using the brakes (hard fast stops etc), especially if you drive around town a lot, the pistons can seize in the callipers, so could possibly only be using 2-3 pistons each side.

BIG E likes this.
  5. Brilliant, this is so helpful! I'll get all those points looked at. Thanks again!

6. Hi @Joey B I felt that when I got my 275. I felt the brakes weren't great. I have a clio 197 and the brakes on thar feel alot sharper. I changed the front pads to standard brembo pads as the pads were about 80% worn. They are a bit better. Going to change the brake fluid soon and see if that makes a difference. I have brembo hc discs on the clio and have standard brembo pads too. I also have carbon lorrain rc5+ pads i thought they were brilliant but took them back off to keep for track.

Joey B likes this.
  7. Well, taking advance of the thread, anybody had tested the PBS pads? They have an atractive price, but how does it works? Comparing with a RC5+?

8. If you are going to track your car then no, used them at Bilster Berg and the ring and they went in the bin, i then fitted my CL8's back in problem solved

Beau and manugtt like this.
  9. That´s enough information for me Ian. I´ll go for CL pads then.
    Thanks master:wink:

10. I never tried any other CL pads than the 8's, they worked really well from cold and good enough with enough heat to change the colour of the callipers :laughing::laughing::laughing:
    Did try the CL8's in my 225 in the early days but they were way to aggressive so i ran Performance Friction Z rated, but they don't work well in a MK3 :openmouth:

11. I think the RC8 can be too much for my use. I had the RC5 in my old 225 and works good in fast road, but maybe in track would need a bit more, so have the 6´s on my mind. Do you use the same compound in the rear train?? I use to read many people who fit one less rear. Maybe to keep the back in his place?
    Thanks for reply!

12. I run Textar in the rear, there cheap and seem to work well

manugtt likes this.
  13. i put the oem brembo in the back of mine that seem to complain less at high speed stops, than the ds2500 i had in there before!

manugtt likes this.
  14. PBS excellent rear pad, hopeless on front

15. I was told that the Textar's are Brembo's how true that is :confused::confused:

16. I have (i think) the cl6 on my 225, they've been great out on track and are fine on the road. They do need some heat, but I had no brake fade until I boiled the fluid.

manugtt likes this.
  17. I have pfc z rated in my 250 and I've done several track days at donington, Silverstone the ring and spa and I've never had any issues, there about dead now but I would replace them with the same. I'm running hc plain brembo discs dunno if that makes any difference but I've never faded them and there plenty good enough for my megane that's currently 316bhp