Megane 3 v's Focus RS MK 3 track battle

Discussion in 'Megane Media' started by git-r, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Hope some of you may enjoy seeing this.

Some useful info for anyone interested:

Focus is a few months old with 4K miles running Michelin Super Sport tyres.

Megane is a 2011 250 RS with 25k miles running the original 5 year old comtinental tyres.

Both drivers are of similar (dis)ability.

2. R26

R26

Really enjoyed that.

git-r likes this.
  3. Grrrr not sure what happened there!

Can't edit...

Focus averaged 4 mpg
    Megane averaged 7 mpg

Both cars had problems with tyres, probably because we stayed out too long but the focus works it's front tyres much harder than the back. The Megane's tyres were very old and well past their best but it seemed slightly easier on them, provided there wasn't too much inside wheelspin coming out of corners.

Temperatures were much higher in the Focus according to the gauges in car. Oil temp of 130 degrees for the focus compared to 105 degrees for the Megane. Unsure of how accurate the Renault reading is though, think the actual temperature maybe a lot higher.

Transmission temps were an issue in the focus, flagging a warning message. This was only an issue after 10+ mins of hard lapping but quickly resolved itself after some cooling laps.

Brakes: Both cars were excellent. Running stock set up on both cars no problems at all other than suspected old fluid in the Renault meaning a very long pedal after cooling laps.

Notes:
    We both agreed the Renault was much more playful on turn in. Oversteer a plenty with trail braking which made it heaps of fun.
    The focus's drift button was a bit annoying. It was more difficult to set the car up with brakes to drift, then when it did start to slide any corrective lock wouldn't hold the slide as it would in a more RWD car making it difficult/impossible to have a smooth slide, the front wheels always pulling the car straight.

The focus was much easier to exit tighter corners so quicker as a result. With both cars on similar tyres the focus would be quicker, but not by much and on a track day after several laps I'm not sure which car would overheat it's tyres first, before yesterday I thought it'd be the Renault but now undecided.

Both cars have virtually identical recaro seats and while they look fantastic neither held us in place, meaning we both felt we were using the steering wheel to stop us from falling out.
    The ford position isn't hight adjustable and you feel too high. The Renault is better in this respect but as a taller driver I would like the steering wheel to have more rake adjustment, moving it closer to my chest.

We both had an absolutely brilliant day and were amazed at just how good modern cars are on track.

I'd never have believed it possible that a factory stock car could be as good, that I had as much fun in my FWD Megane as I did has completely altered my view on cars :smile:

Can't wait until the next one!!

Sorry for such a long report, here's the vid:

4. Lol sorry, don't know why it did that!

Another vid uploading, will post it later :smile:

5. R26

R26

There's an article from a company testing the Focus on track for uprgraded parts that also reported very high oil temps, one of the conclusions was that an oil cooler is an absolute must. They also stated a retro fit cooler for the RDU is in production.

There's also a mount upgrade coming soon to lower the seat, not by much though.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    git-r likes this.
  6. - forgot to mention, the back right tyre wasn't the original but some make I've never heard of.. A good excuse for the monumental 4th gear f up at the end!

7. R26

R26

The Focus's mpg isn't that much better on the road, lol

Meganemike likes this.
  8. Nice save!

9. Good save!

10. Wow focus really disappointing

11. Thanks for sharing, nice save at the end! :sunglasses:

git-r likes this.
  12. Yes great vid. That matched my own observations and discussions with Focus RS owners both at Spa and Bedford.

And also matches that guy's obersvations: http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showthread.php?p=58381#post58381

I have no doubt that Ford will find solutions and will enhance the car though. I just wouldn't want to be an early adopter.

git-r likes this.
  13. R26

R26

Ford won't be sorting the RDU cooler, it's being done in the after market. It only aids the passive cooling anyway.

14. Thanks for the comments!

Yes that was a bit of a close one at the end. As I said the back right tyre wasn't matching the other three and was some weird named thing I've never heard of.. It sounds like a great excuse but unfortunately it wasn't just left handers I was having problems with!

I've only owned the Megane for about a week and hadn't done more than ten miles before the track day.

Was so impressed with it, much better than I thought it'd be - what a car!!!

Same goes for the focus - brilliant car but out the box I think the Renault will prove the less expensive car for track stuff. And not necessarily less fun :smile:

R26 likes this.
  15. R26

R26

Nice thread, it's refreshing to see some less blinkered views on here, and views that are formed from actual experiences.

git-r likes this.
  16. Indeed. Nice to see people tracking their car and THEN giving an open minded experience based opinion without prejudice.

git-r likes this.
  17. Nick - thanks for the link - that's good to know we're not alone in our thoughts. Having experienced the focus it's gone from being a car I really wanted because of the rwd and drift capability and supposed track worthiness, to one I wouldn't own and think the USP's are a bit gimmicky.

The owner of this car thinks it's brilliant though and I do respect his opinion. It's an excellent car but imho not that great on track.

I also wanted to thank you for your comments on piston heads in the 275 thread. Your comments helped to make my mind up in getting the Megane :smile:

R26 likes this.
  18. R26

R26

Completely agree, I'm yet to comment on its track ability.

19. That was a really cool read, thanks!

20. No worries. It's indeed a great road car the Focus. But at 1,600kg it will never be in its element on track.

I am at Bedford tomorrow actually but for work. I should be back on 24/09 with Javelin though if you fancy it ?

21. R26

R26

Quite right it is, and with the benefit of 5 doors. If I could have lived with 3 doors I might have been in the lookout for something else.

22. Will take a look and see if I can make that - thanks for the heads up :smile:

23. I take it your Megane is a non cup pack car?

24. What's a non cup pack? Mine is a cup version if that's what you're asking?

25. R26

R26

The 250 on its own didn't have the cup chassis (non cup), however it could be added as an option (cup packed), basically it came better equipped and was more expensive. The 250 cup was cheaper but was less well equipped, it did however come with the chassis, LSD and suspension improvements as standard.

git-r likes this.
  26. Renaultsport sold the 250 and the 250 CUP as separate models.

The CUP had a better chassis but worse interior. The CUP was cheaper though.

The chassis improvements of the CUP could be optioned back on the normal 250 (called Full Fat on internet forums).

It's a marketing tool that they have used for a while and still are doing, with the Megane and the Clio.

git-r likes this.
  27. Ah so maybe mine is a full fat cup :smile:

Or maybe a cup with options?

Or maybe just astandard 250?! :wink:

28. R26

R26

It can be whatever you want it to be! ;-)

git-r likes this.
  29. If it's got the CUP badge on the B pillar, then it's just regular CUP :openmouth:

git-r likes this.
  30. Does it have red calipers? It's just how you mention about spinning the inside wheel when cornering when a cup fitted with the diff shouldn't do this.

git-r likes this.
  31. Here's the other vid:

It's a bit crap really as its one of my first outings and just trying to get a feel for it. Particularly after having just had no brake pedal!

Got held up a bit - fast forward to 7 mins.. He lets me past then flows me.. I then let him past... Then got a long brake pedal again.

Shows there's not much difference in the straight line performance on track.

R26 likes this.
  32. Yes it has the red callipers, you're right the diff should stop the wheel spin but only to a point depending on how locking it is. I'm not really sure how they work but am not surprised it's possible to spin the inside wheel with a standard (or cup) front diff... You can drive a rwd car with a LSD and do the same.

33. Yeah it all depends on how hard your pushing into a corner I suppose, I've yet to get out on track but will be doing so once my car is sorted and I get some decent tyres. I ordered a focus rs and am going to cancel my order now I have the Megane as for me it offers so much more for a third of the price of the focus.

git-r likes this.
  34. Smart move.

35. Good vid. On the same tyres you would have nailed him.

git-r likes this.
  36. Thanks :smile:

I think so too, made this point over and over to the driver lol... I think he knows it too!!

R26 likes this.
  37. Yep. All over him already in the bends, barely anything on the straight - probably due to its lardy ass!

git-r likes this.
  38. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I wouldn't discount them that much. I had a couple of laps being chased by one at the Ring granted it was on PS Cups and being driven by a VLN driver but the Megane wasn't that much quicker, straight line pace was noticeable as was corner exit out the faster stuff but overall I was quite impressed by how it went.

git-r likes this.
  39. Correct, the git was also using a bit more kerb to his advantage.

Plus, you wouldn't want to be too close behind the Ford for too long as you are likely to end up with bits of its RDU through your windscreen.

git-r likes this.
  40. Lol!

Now that would be a first!

In a sprint type race my money would go on the focus.

"The git" lol - Sam :smile:

We might make Bedford that Nickfrog mentioned. The focus will have fresh MPSS and I'll be on fresh contiforcecontacts (continental's track day tyre in case you didn't know).

I'll set Harry's lap timer to record some g's and see where I'm going wrong.

These tyres should sustain 1.1g at least so we'll soon see where I'm not going fast enough... ! It won't change how I drive lol but at least I'll know where I'm going wrong!

We'll also see if the standard pads are up to it.. Going to buy another set, any recommendations where to get these at the best price?

Fingers crossed.

Will be interesting to see a rematch, our driving isn't consistent enough for it to be scientific but because we both make mistakes it probably has some meaning.