275 Megane 3 RS Flywheel

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by oldschoolracer, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Guys,
    I would like to know if someone goes with a solid flywheel for a longer time, even on the Nordschleife or as well daily use? As far as I know, the stock flywheel isn´t that sensible, but anyway, if it fails I would think about switching to a solid one, but no aluminium, but rather a lightweight steel one. If somebody has one, did you use the stock friction plate or a spring loaded plate ( supposedly the stock plate isn´t spring-loaded). It´s seems to be attractive to save about 6-8 kg of weight of rotating masses ( and of course on the front end anyway)
    The background of my quest is that basically the two-mass flywheel is tuned to the crankshaft masses and has effects to the torsional vibrations of the crankshaft. It´s hardly to judge if those effects maybe dangerous in case you alter the system or just have minor effects such as droning frequencies from the gearbox etc...or, worst case, cracking the crankshaft.
    There´s no better way as some guys who tested a solid flywheel for a longer time preferable on hard racing events without any issues or as well on long daily use over some years. With the Megane we are all no altar boys and we all know how to put the pedal on the metal…..so Long term daily use should show basic troubles as well. Thanks for your statements !

2. Just about everyone seems to stick with the original dmf I think you'll find.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

3. Ok, I just found an older thread about these subjects. Didn´t find one single recommendation to use a single mass flywheel. Supports my considerations. But I also didn´t find one who uses a SMF along with a spring loaded friction plate. Simply to use a Diesel plate or similar is not a real solution, the springs of the friction plate has to be matched to the whole system ( interia masses etc...) as well. If this would be done properly. The springs of the friction plate are often confused as a spring what works when the clutch engages. Thats not right. The springs works to absorb the torsional vibrations of the crank and powertrain. If the plate is solid, there are stresses on the powertrain what may result in noises and loads on the crankshaft. I´m pretty sure that a SMF could be used in the Megane without any issues. Using a SMF together with the stock solid friction plate is not the way to go. Anyway, the stock DMF shouldn´t be a weak point as it is definitly on other cars I know especially on hard race use.