Megane 265 full fat cup

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by D7DPJ, Jul 7, 2021.

1. The hardest part is the door handle bit, really difficult to get off. The rest is easy, once all bolts are down just give it a good tug from the bottom. Then when all the bottom is release ypu pull the door card up and off as its hooked onto the window.

manugtt likes this.
  2. The hardest part is the door handle bit, really difficult to get off. The rest is easy, once all bolts are down just give it a good tug from the bottom. Then when all the bottom is release ypu pull the door card up and off as its hooked onto the window.

Track day was great, a few new mods arriving soon and then another track day end of September.

3. Post day, cant wait to try these out on track :grinning:

27.jpg

Nils and manugtt like this.
  4. more arrivals :smile: Miltek 3" downpipe which isnt very old. Previous only is fitting a lovely ceramic coated de-cat so this was up for grabs. I have new gaskets and also some copper self locking nuts.

28.jpg

5. I really like the photos of your work - it’s helpful for others. I just replaced my OEM cat for a Sports cat. It was a job which took all day but nothing seized or broke which is a miracle! Helped having a pit under the car for sure. This video gave me the confidence to do it - good viewing the night before the job

D7DPJ likes this.
  6. Great video, this one I'm going to leave to my friend at BiB performance. However I don't think he will be taking this approve. Cut, cut and cut :tearsofjoy:

BillyA likes this.
  7. FYI - I got £400 for my old OEM cat on eBay! Paid for the Sports Cat (but not for the remap booked in September…).

8. Wow really. Erm might have a word with my friend. Work put Labour costs verses selling the cat.

9. Hi - Did you leave your spacers on for the track day? Just wondered if all went ok with them fitted...………? Cheers

10. Hey, erm no I actually found that the spacers I bought didn't fit properly. The bit that goes over the hub part wasn't long enough. Only by 1-2mm but they didn't sit flush. I thought the steering was feeling weird so when I had my suspension refresh we checked them out and realised they didn't quite fit.

So ran with no spacers and tbh I think I'll continue this way. The handling of the car is epic, I'd hate to have potentially ruined it.

If you were getting spacers then stick to the decent brands. But £200 for 4 spacers is just crazy.

11. Ah ok. Yeah I have some Ktec ones but never been sure about running them on track. Doubt I will tbh as I don't see many folk run spacers on track hence the question. Cheers

12. I was going to run with and then try without but i do hear that many who have tracked with spacers end up switching it out. Apparently 20mm spacers can mess up the scrub radius but only really noticeable on track. So spacers for looks on the road and take them off for track is an acceptable way to go.

My only issue is that i went for the longer stud conversion to accommodate 20mm spacers so they stick out a tiny bit... however does look a bit "race car" so im happy.

Poppaboost likes this.
  13. Yeah I read the same so left them off
    The good thing about forums that you can find stuff out before having any issues etc.

14. This arrived today... as you can tell by the picture I had the engine bay open ready to fit. After 20 mins of pondering, fettling I've decided my fingers are far to fat for this. I may ask a friend to fit when he's doing my decat :tearsofjoy: 20210825_162946.jpg

15. More toys, this is to be fitted on friday..... camber here we come :smile: 29.jpg

ShaneBe and manugtt like this.
  16. Camber baby

All fitted with -2 camber and on max caster. Had to borrow a friend's 17's as the camber tool wouldn't fit 19's. There off a friends integra dc5 and they fit alright... might have to keep them :tearsofjoy:.

IMG-20210903-WA0000.jpg IMG-20210903-WA0004.jpg IMG-20210903-WA0005.jpg IMG-20210903-WA0007.jpg 20210904_102657.jpg 20210904_133506.jpg 20210904_133524.jpg

manugtt likes this.
  17. Hahaha! Just write in your other thread! I thought you don´t fit the plates yet:grinning::grinning::grinning:

D7DPJ likes this.
  18. Yup all fitted. Just this weird knock etc.

19. Had the alignment checked today, first to see how we go on setting the car up our selves with some primitive tools... tbh we didnt do to bad.

30.jpg

Before adjustment shows that we were out on toe on the left side but as said not to bad. However interestingly i was expecting camber to be -2 all round...weird

33.jpg

However they corrected toe to the settings i wanted which ive been assure a +0.05 on each side is nice, especially on track. Bizarrely though the camber on the Left is now showing -2 wooohoooo, but be because it was out a bit that the camber wasnt being read properly. But thats great the only disappointment is the right camber, looks like i need to do some more tweaking before track day at the end of the month.

32.jpg

Either way, it now tracks nice and straight and only a slight tweak needed. I also have the all important rear settings so i can sort out some shims :smile:

20. oh dear, embarrassing moment coming up. So as above I went to have my alignment checked knowing it would be out a bit which it was. So i asked them to give me 0.05 toe out, they did the work and i rushed back home for a meeting.

I then post all my pictures on here and happy days.

I send my mechanic friend the details and I get a message later on saying "i thought you wanted toe out" I replied "I do", his reply "numptys have given you toe in, positive toe is in, negative toe is out"

WHAT A TOTAL IDIOT I AM :tearsofjoy:

So I email the garage asking the question which I receive a fairly quick response to say its set to + toe out..... im confused......

However 10 mins later I get a phone call from the garage to say forget the email, pop back tomorrow and we can sort it....... haha i think someones been googling....

So today I go back, we have a giggle about it and hey presto were now back in business :smile: well apart from the camber on one the right needing a tweek, which ofcourse will mess the toe up.... geeeezz geometry hurts my head. :tearsofjoy:

35.jpg

34.jpg

Lopes3d and iyrix like this.
  21. Not a huge update but a mini project ive worked on.

So lacking some footage from my last track day and Cadwell coming up I wanted a Go Pro setup. I was really struggling to find a suitable mount and one that wouldnt break the bank so I decided to make one.

A week later my ebay purchases arrive:

36.jpg

A few holes later and and grinding the sharp bits off:

37.jpg

A little test fit :smile: :

38.jpg

A lick of paint and to put the end caps on left this little beauty :tongueout:, cant wait to get some footage.

39.jpg 40.jpg

22. When are you at cadwell, I’m there on the 9th October?

D7DPJ likes this.
  23. Next week, 23rd Sept.

I can't wait, been a passenger 3 times now and finally get to drive it

24. Ive driven there 4 times now, it is an awesome track for a modified Megane, full report afterwards please!

D7DPJ and manugtt like this.
  25. Track day number 2 complete, the car was so much better with the camber mods and some more suited tyres.

Cadwell was epic, such a brilliant track and a much more chilled out atmosphere than brands.

So how did we do, timings my best lap was a 1.50. Not blistering by any stretch but a decent time for a fairly standard car. The tyres have made a world of difference however they were tricky to get the pressures right. Starting with 28psi all around ended up with around 37 rear and 40ish fronts. Way too hot so after many tweaks finished with 34/35 rear and about 32ish fronts. Tpms going mad all day telling me I had a puncture. Only issue with this is it doesn't let you flick through the trip when it says puncture. Will be having this removed by stage x ASAP, it's a pain in the bum and for £40 it's a bargain to remove.

Tyres have faired ok, I think they have 3-4 track days max for the fronts. Power wise wasn't an issue, enough for most cars and brakes were great, zero fade.

What could we improve...everything :tearsofjoy:. Handling wise im getting close to what's achievable on cup shocks. In hindsight with what I've spent I probably should have gone for bc racing coilovers. Not to say I'm not happy, it's fantastic but having the adjustability to be a bit lower and stiffer would be great.

Seats are defo an issue, on track they are terrible at keeping me in place. I was battered the next day, I think my body had clung on for dear life. Future mods are defo changing front seats, harness bar and harnesses. Club sport spec is what I'm after... until the wife agrees that this car is never going to be used as a family car and I can go more extreme :laughing:.

Go pro head rest mount worked a treat, such a good setup and using racechrono made life so much easier.

My mates I went with have some very capable cars. Annoying being the slow one of the bunch but they are all very impressed. Trying to hang with a supercharged vx220, stripped and track focused Honda integra and a track weapon of an m3 with maybe £50k of upgrades:fearscream: is a tall order :tearsofjoy:.

Anyway some pics and a video of my best lap.

Prepared and ready to go the night before:

IMG_20210922_214405_957.jpg

IMG_20210922_214405_986.jpg

Finding our little spot and taking over :grinning::

20210923_131435.jpg

My 1.50 lap:

Stock265cup and Poppaboost like this.
  26. Lots of pro pics :blush::

IMG_20210926_085003_015.jpg
    IMG_20210926_085003_072.jpg
    IMG_20210926_085003_092.jpg
    IMG_20210926_085003_116.jpg
    IMG_20210926_085003_015.jpg IMG_20210926_085003_072.jpg IMG_20210926_085003_092.jpg IMG_20210926_085003_136.jpg
    IMG_20210926_085003_149.jpg
    IMG_20210926_085003_177.jpg
    IMG_20210926_085003_207.jpg

2021-09-26_08-34-06.jpg

And finally being held up by a friend...:wink:

2021-09-26_08-37-08.jpg

Attached Files:

27. Is your Megane one of those Monaco edition ones? Asking because of the colour combinations.

28. No i don't think so. Its a 265 full fat with cup bits which I think comes with all the red graphics. Then previous owner wrapped the roof black

29. So what confuses me is why you let that BMW overtake you

30. Haha it might be something to do with it being about 500bhp, most parts are carbon fibre and it is a full track weapon. However I did try my best. He was up my rear for the whole lap hence this being my quickest :tearsofjoy:

His quickest lap of the day was about 1:38 I think.

Mr Spoon likes this.
  31. well considering the hp difference, not too far behind

32. Small update, fitted some ikon boost pipes and also finally managed to fit the ktr blanking plate. Took me about an hour overall and the biggest advise I can give is to take the scuttle panel off. Its mega easy and gives you so much room.

20211008_152026.jpg

20211008_152009.jpg

Poppaboost likes this.
  33. Wagner baby :smiley:

20211014_181300.jpg

Poppaboost and Mr Spoon like this.
  34. has it made a good difference in induction noise this blanking plate with panel filter?

35. So the panel filter and removing the foam inside the panel box made it louder. The blanking plate hasn't made it louder as such but it changes the sound from the dump valve type noise to a flutter. It would be much louder if I had an induction kit.

36. I concur with the foam removal. That said, the engine mounts in mine make the engine noise louder so i no longer hear much no foam benefit

37. Small update. So a weird knock I have had for some time seems to be one of the new cup shocks fitted. Will be speaking to renault to replace the shock. Annoying that I'm going to have to pay to remove and fit again grrr.

A couple of new modifications. Swapped my standard leather steering wheel with an alcantara one. Needed a bit of a clean mind but looks and smells amazing now. A nice feel actually and will help on track.

Also a small update to the rear, getting rid of the chrome badge.

New steering wheel:

20211113_111858.jpg

And after a good clean:

20211114_142923.jpg

New rear badge:

20211114_144226.jpg

Screenshot_20211114-163041_Gallery.jpg

manugtt likes this.
  38. Also MOT time on Saturday. Passed with flying colours. Not a single advisory which I was hoping for. Came close to emissions but was OK.

20211113_123832.jpg

39. I've purchased a second set of wheels. I believe they are the 18" kezas and are in need of a refurb. They are 18 x 8.25 and will be spot on for my track wheels. Not light or very motorsport inspired but refurbed red and with some sticky tyres they will be great.

20211129_120955.jpg