265 Megane 265/250 - Sound pipe?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by MarkRSi, Oct 30, 2014.

Tags:
  1. AFAIK the Megane 250/265 has a sound/noise pipe under the bonnet, correct?

If so, I don't think the one on mine (265) is working properly...

I tend to run the car with the seats down, sad I know but love the woosh noise under full throttle :smiley: Seats up though, and the car is virtually silent under full throttle.

There's been odd times I've been at full throttle, seats up etc. and there's been a proper bark from the front of the car, like someone has removed the air filter.

Is there anything that should trigger it? Doesn't seem to make a difference if I'm in Sport/Normal, throttle mapping...

2. The way it works is there is a hole in the bulk head that a feed from the it box gone through. I don't think it's the best engineering feat from Renault.

3. somehow it seems to be affected by the filter.. after I fitted a BMC panel filter in the std box, the whooshing sound when you put your foot down, has virtually gone away.. on the other hand, the dump noise when you take the foot off, has become more apparent (not very audible without windows down, though)..

4. Took the soundbox off to fit the forge dump valve and to be honest can't tell any difference. Not like the RCZ soundbox which really grunts inside the cabin when you give it the beans

5. Snap I removed my sound pipe to make way for the forge valve and I can't tell the difference either.

6. The forge instructions actually tell you to remove it.........I was working my way through them expecting the next step to be 'replace the noise box' , but it never came :-)

7. Well i can hear the airbox grunting, and recirc valve dumping in mine.

8. I removed mine and then refitted it after a few months, either setup made no difference to be honest. stop being a fanny and get an induction kit that'll give all the bark you want.

9. Could it be electronically controlled? I noticed the pipe has some sort of fat bit/section (diaphragm/valve?), to those who have removed it are there any wires connected to this? And where does it lead to? (too many pipes under the bonnet!)

Yeah I know fit a induction fit/BOV/whatever but it's still under warranty and can't be arsed etc. etc.

10. No wires. It's just a section of chambers I believe that push air around and make the noise. There must be some sort of diaphragm in there too as its a boost hose going to it.

11. Hmmm, might be controlled by that boost hose then (I'll try have a closer look tomorrow in daylight) Would removing the pipe allow more noise to enter the cabin? (and where does it lead to past the bulkhead/firewall?)

Seems like the RCZ guys are having problems with their sounds pipes/wotsits as well haha http://peugeotrczforum.co.uk/sound-box-t2879.html

12. From what I could see it just goes to the bulkhead not past it. No holes. I blanked my hole off today but noticed no difference while it was still open with nothing attached.

13. Yep what Birchy said

14. Looking at these instructions here...

http://www.forgemotorsport.com/media/FMDVRMA(1).pdf

If I've read that correctly (and going by looking under my bonnet), I assume it's just the pipe going underneath it, then another pipe leading to the bulkhead? No 3rd/other pipes supposed to connect it it?

Out of curiousity has anyone fitted one of those Forge BOVs to a 265 yet?

15. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414935353.765204.jpg
    If this helps, this is the complete and removed sound pipe. Bottom of the picture goes to the boost hose. Top goes to bulkhead. Two bolts secure to engine. No other pipes.

As for 265, they will be identical fitting to this I think