Megane 250 Sport and Cup differences

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by James and his 250, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Hi all,

First post :wink:

I am looking for a Megane 250 'sport' spec but with the cup chassis however these are just slightly out of my budget.

This car within budget seems to be a cup, but has been specced with keyless+recaro's+visibility pack... I think anyway... What would it be short of apart from sat nav/rs monitor and dual climate control?
    Does the interior just have less 'bling' as such on cup models?
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...gane?logcode=p

Many thanks in advance

Future owner (hopefully)
    James​

2. No leather with heated seats, no sunroof, lack of armrest with cupholder at the back. Apart of it car is well equipped. It has dual climate control and RS monitor. Nice example, and price is tempting. Go for it.

3. Oooh I didn't think that was an rs monitor just standard dash! Nice! How do you know it has dual climate control? Going from a convertible the sun roof would have been nice but can't be too picky! Thanks Dinn :smile: (why does my phone keep trying to change your name to dinner)

4. The unit above the radio is the climate control.

I didn't see any mention of the RS Monitor though? If it reads Renault Sport (instead of just Renault) on the dash screen then it has the monitor.

5. Doesnt mention is has rs monitor

6. I thought if you don't have tomtom then you get rs monitor instead with cup chassis.

7. no..

rsmonitor OR sat nav are both options.

You cannot have both.

RS monitor is not standard on a cup

8. Had a call today from the dealer recons someone phoned up 'his manager' and sounded very intrested and asked me if I would to like to see it today/leave a deposit on a car I havn't seen.. not sure if it was a sales technique or not. To be fair the prices seems pretty good for the spec so may well be gone before the weekend. Ill check if it has the RS monitor.. I'm guessing probably not then

Thanks for all the replies :wink:

9. The fact that this car has dual zone climate control indicates that it is the Full fat version which should have came with either standard leather seats or leather recaro's as an option. I would be asking the dealer why it has cloth seats as it is clearly not the base model Cup car which came with standard air con.

10. Somebody sold / swapped interior for cheaper.

11. So you can't spec Dual zone climate control on a Cup model car?

Tbh I prefer the cloth recaro's

12. They all come with a key card, difference is you can open the doors without pressing buttons on the card if it is keyless entry, you can also start the car without having to insert the card into the reader. The car also locks itself when you walk away from it.

13. Its 100% cup, climate was option on a cup.

14. christ sake. save a bit more, wait till december and buy mine lol

15. I wasn't bothered with spec, it was yellow, looked good and went like stink lol

16. Oh right they are all push to start then, ok cool

I guess all I really want is a cup car with recaro seats and possibly an RS monitor.... the car is specced well enough as standard, job done. Sorry for my OCD lol

Blue, grey or yellow and recaro seats. Simples

17. Sorry one question... I really want the yellow seat-belts how do I get them and can i paint the black ones yellow?...

Just kidding

18. when I ordered my first 250 cup in 2010 i regretted not getting recaros and rsmonitor. That got sold after 2 years and then i bought my current one with all the extras and enjoyed the all the toys. be sure you know what your getting. Alot of dealers haven't a clue.

19. Do you think you would miss anything else apart from recarcos and rs monitor? I have an MR2 roadster at the moment and I literally have no luxuries in that, hence why I've now realised to stop worrying over the spec and keep it simple
    I've never got in my mr2 and though... Wow what I really need is mirrors that fold automatically, or... Oooooh my bum is cold I need some heated seats

20. for me personally. my 250FF had to have cup chassis, Rs monitor, visibility pack (xenons, drls, folding mirrors) and leather recaros. I would much rather standard seats than cloth recaros. They just don't last long and a retrim would most definitely be needed after 5 years.

The fact mine came with tyre pressure monitor and spare wheel is a bonus and i also preferred the 18inch cup alloys because they are marginally lighter.

Depends what you want tbh. I could live with a 250 cup without the toys but its hard to go back once you've experienced them.

21. If it will be your daily car, search for top of the range model like mine. Don't bother with Cup. I don't think you will feel much difference with that cup version unless you will be fighting about tenth of second during track day. Also Recaros are not very comfy for daily use, they are slightly deeper and take a space for rear bench passengers (you won't fit baby seat if you got child).

22. Depends dude Ive had both, recaros look better, more supportive but I've not found them less comfortable than standard seats despite doing 16k motorway miles this year. Having said that they are more difficult to get in and out without damaging. i could easily fall in them If i wanted to but i'd destroy the bolster in months. After every trip you have to retract all the way back before getting out.

They are a massive selling point too imo.

23. Cup chassis is a must as the LSD makes it so much more fun to drive on twisty B roads, the chassis can be a bit harsh on the 19" wheels but I have no complaints running on the 18" Cup wheels.

A baby seat fits easily behind Recaro's (or it does in mine anyway)!

24. That is absolute rubbish. I have a cup, and the ride is fine for every day use! The cup also has a limited slip diff that makes a big difference to power delivery and being able to apply the power in corners. Which in my view is an essential addition to any fwd car with that kind of power. My car has recaros, and I can easily put a child seat in the back and I am over 6 ft and can easily sit in the back of the car with the drivers seat in the position I have it in. I have also done, 3/4 hour journeys in the car and never felt uncomfortable in the recaros.

25. yep cup chassis is a must

26. Heh. If you attack every corner dropping kids to school, why not.
    I had cup for test drive, and I decided to take sport on 19". I don't feel much difference in every day driving between them so I wasn't mad about having cup chassis. But it depends of personal preferences.

27. True. depends on how much potential you want to extract or experience.

28. Why is it you think that everyone buys an RS to do the school run?

29. I'm confused why anyone has kids, never mind has kids and then buys an RS to take them to school in...

:wink:

30. Lol I'll be doing a few track days, and I walk to work so I think I have a pretty strong case for cup plus recaro's.. a re trim every 5 years wouldn't be bad would it! My seat will already be all the way back to get out as I'm 6ft3

Finally yes 'once you've experienced all the toys' is the key sentence... to anyone else they are really not needed as such, just almost could call them lazy features to make your life easier, the way I see it if the car has them, it has them, if it don't, it don't... if I was speccing one of these from new I can't imagine ticking any option box's apart from colour... even £850 on a pair of seats, but as a used option I can't see any reason not to wait for a car that has them

31. lol

32. I find it confusing that the people that criticise Cup chassis cars the most are the ones that don't actually own them and base their arguments on a 10 minute test drive in one.

I also find it confusing as to why a lot of them go and have their brake calipers painted 'red' so as to create the illusion of having a Cup spec car.

33. Best. Post. Ever... haha

34. no grudge against non cups..

you pay your monies and go for what your happy with. A cup chassis isn't for everyone.

35. It was only example. Personally I bought RS because it is versatile. I can use it every day to commute to work, go for shopping and even for holiday. In my opinion that is the bigger advantage of HH, ordinary daily car, but with good performance. That is why I suggested rather better specification over cup chassis and Recaros.
    If I was considering track days, I would end up probably with something more hardcore.
    At the end of the day, if he wants to attend track days, and believe that cup chassis is necessary, why not give it try.

I am surprised by so hot reactions for my post. I think "cup believers" have been bit to harsh. Quite weird correlation between behaviour and harsh suspension :-)

36. Let me help you with your confusions.

Unfortunately test drive takes about 15 minutes. You can't try car for a week I afraid. During that time you need to observe what you like or dislike.

Red looks better in my opinion. It is not any try to bias people that you have cup version, as 99% of people don't bother about it or just don't know about colour coding sport/cup versions. Just purely better contrast comparing to grey calipers.

I hope your confusions have gone. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.
    Regards.

37. Personally cup chassis is a must, it's what the whole car is about is the handling. Would imagine a 250/265 with no lsd is a bit of a handful on a wet road when pushing on! If you want all the goodies (full leather, air con, cruise, dual climate e.t.c) then get a full fat model with cup chassis like me :wink:

my 265's damping (on cup chassis) are leagues above my old r26, doesn't feel harsh at all yet it is the most stable car especially at high speed.

the recaro's are also the comfiest seats I've ever sat in and you can fit kids and baby seats without any issue. I had me, my girlfriend, her mum and dad and the baby in the seat in the car no problem.

38. I've had my leather Recaros for 4 years and they look fine. There's a tiny bit of wear on the bolster (you need to look very close!) but the rest of the seat still looks brand new.

I'd re-iterate what others have said too. While I'm sure the Sport model is excellent (it's what I test drove before ordering mine), having that LSD pulling you around the corners really makes all the difference if you're doing trackdays. It's not just about how much speed you can carry through a corner, but also the feedback it gives. You can feel the inner wheel loading up before the torque is distributed. It's the defining characteristic of the car for me.

39. I will defiently be getting a cup car, i am a handling freak. I think people are talking about the cloth recaro seats needed re trims rather than the leather ones, and ill be lucky to have leather ones with my budget anyway!

Thanks for everybody's feedback