Megane 250 oil temp low? RS monitor

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by CompRSM, May 16, 2024.

1. I have had my Megane 250 for a few weeks now.

Since playing with the RS monitor I have noticed that my oil temp seems lower than expected.

A lot of the time it will sit in the low 70s, sometimes even dropping back to the '>70c' reading. When driving harder I have maybe touched 82c a couple of times.

Does the way it will sometimes drop back below 70c suggest thermostat being stuck open and needing replacing? I understood the thermostat (mine doesnt have a low temp thermostat) opened was supposed to open at 83, so I wouldn't expect the oil to be falling much below this temp?

Thanks!

2. Where is your water thermostat sitting on the dial? Remember oil temp is only calculated

3. I will double check and confirm when I next drive but maybe 1/3 of the way up. Certainly not halfway

4. for the 250 the gauge should stay at 3/8, (just below the middle), anything lower means the thermostat is broken.
    265 and 275 stay at 4/8

CompRSM likes this.
  5. The gauge is at 2/8 most of the time and only occasionally gets to 3/8 - today when sat idling in traffic it read 85 oil temp and hit the 3/8 mark just. That is the first time i have seen it hit 85c temp in 800 miles of driving it.

So thank you, thermostat booked in.

eduardbooster likes this.