Megane 225 FF - Massive project, my 6th Renault "Sport" model

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by NickDMC, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Well, this is the 2nd FF 225 I've owned, only this one needs a LOT of work doing...

I've had 5 other Renault's over the years going back to my 2nd car:

Clio 16v PH1 in Silver
    [​IMG]

Followed by a 200bhp 5 GT Turbo
    [​IMG]

Dimma PH2 Clio 16v
    [​IMG]

Some years later, a nice clean FF 225
    [​IMG]

Even more year later I picked up a fun runabout in the shape of a 182 - Spent a bit on it and got it tidy but wanted something with more power

(Pic from the new owner of the car)
    [​IMG]

Now on to my 6th Renault, this time another Megane 225 FF (2004) with just 49k miles and 3 owners.

Like any new car I like to give it a quick wash, you know this is when most of the damage starts to show up but not bad on the outside at least
    [​IMG]

The car has a lot of potential but after discussing things with the seller it turned out the car needed far more work than was originally expected (Purchased with the intention of doing the Belts and Brakes in the coming months but that list very quickly turned into the following....

Steering felt incredibly stiff and there was a distinct vibration coming through the car, even more so at low revs so we got it up on the ramp and that's where the fun started!

Two seized hubs, I hadn't heard of this big problem but quickly found a resolution which was to buy two new bearings and thanks to my mechanic friend he managed to strip it all down and fit the new bearings.

Next up was the brakes, to say they were close to needing replacement was an understatement, one emergency stop and they'd have probably broken up so this was addressed by buying brand new Pagid discs and pads all around, along with new pad pins from Ebay as the originals are a nightmare. Calipers are also all being stripped and painted in the coming weeks

[​IMG]

We also found a slight oil leak that appears to be coming from the sump so plan is to strip all this off, clean up and reseal but with the other jobs on the list we may do the rear mail seal.

The vibration and a slight squeal noise pointed out the issue with the standard DMF - These I'm told are quite common so a new Single mass flywheel has turned up from RS Tuning along with an R26.R clutch and new slave cylinder.

Cambelt, Aux belt and water pump also arrived as these are going to be done at the same time.

Broken exhaust mount so have got a new one to go on.

New oil, filter and spark plugs (all genuine parts and ELF oil).

New engine mounts to also help remove some of the movement.

Over all it's been a nightmare buy and I've never ever purchased a car with so many issues but the plan is to get it as good as physically possible with what feels like no expense spared as we're literally doing every job that we can find that needs doing properly using genuine or uprated parts.

We also discovered some cracked and badly welded / repaired wheels so a new set of Bola CSR 18's in matt bronze have turned up and we fitted a brand new set of Bridgestone Adrenalin's too.http://cdn4.wheelbasealloys.com/product-images/CSR-MBr-F_19364_600.jpg

These will go on once all jobs are done and I can get the alignment done at the same time.

H&R Springs also on the way which will make a massive difference, and I'd like to put an R26.R spoiler on the rear too as it really needs something!

I think that's about it for now, will update the thread once all the work starts later in the week but please wish me luck, the car has nearly ruined me already!

Attached Files:

2. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

Hi and welcome Nick
    great starting post and i do like the replacement wheels.

3. Wow - good luck indeed.

It's not for me, buying a car with this many faults, but fair play to you.

Welcome to RSMegane Nick - nice introduction - thanks for taking the time :smile:

4. Here it is currently all stripped apart:
    [​IMG]

Flywheel was completely shot so glad we are doing that now
    [​IMG]

Rear main oil seal was also leaking so that's being changed too
    [​IMG]

So the list keeps growing, also ordered all new droplinks as the bushes were worn and stiff in places so this should tighten everything up nicely!

5. A couple of other pics of the parts that have arrived:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2L of this stuff for the Gearbox [​IMG]

6. We've refurbed the calipers and done them in black, with some metallic silver dusted on, then new decals and properly lacquered so this is a big improvement:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Interesting thread pal. I like the brake calipers the way you have done them.
    Are you from the Wirral? The pic of the 182 is outside Taurus Motors not far from me in Pensby.

8. Yeah I noticed that too. I'm in Moreton . What colour is your 225?

9. Its the standard Trophy colour Nimbus grey. What colours yours? Do you park it outside the old motorworld sometimes?

10. Daz

Daz

Good start!

11. Nice. Really looking forward to seeing it with wheels on.

12. Thanks! No that pic was from the new owner, it was the only one I could find quickly :-)

I'm down in Newbury, Berks

13. Thanks, hoping they'll look good - Just getting it back together today so should start to see some progress later!

14. No, mines black. Five door . I've seen a red five door parked in the shell on borough road

15. The new owner must be Imprezaworks who was a member on here. I think he works in taurus motors

16. yeah see that one all the time. I see a black one on Spital Rd a fair bit by the three stags going back towards the motorway. Mines always parked on Woodhchurch Road outside shops opposite sainsburies

17. Calipers are very nice mate. I am looking for a change, black with yellow letters.
    How much for getting them done?

18. We did them in house but it's not a hard job, if you can get them down to us we could do all 4 for around £100 for you

19. Got the clutch and everything on last week:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. I will consider this option mate

21. Wheels arrived so I fitted the new tyres (benefits of having a tyre machine and balancer), also coated them with CarPro DLUX to add proper protection against pitting and brake dust
    [​IMG]

22. This is after the car was taken off the ramp, showing the difference in height with the new H&R springs fitted in the 2nd pic

[​IMG]

23. And here it is with the wheels fitted and suspension now settled!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The car is running like new, everything now feels like it should and I'm starting to believe this is the car I thought I would be owning - not the neglected poorly thing it was a few weeks back!

Sorry for repeating but the list of jobs complete is now:

R26.R Clutch
    RS Tuning Flywheel
    New slave cylinder
    Castrol fully synth gearbox oil
    Cambelt
    Aux Belt
    Water pump
    Sump removed, new gasket
    New Elf fully synth oil and Renault filter
    New Spark plugs
    New rear main oil seal while the gearbox was off
    New lower and upright drop links
    New hub swivel bearings
    New CV boots
    Refurbed Calipers
    New Discs and pads front
    New Discs and pads rear
    H&R 25mm lowering springs
    All new engine mounts and gearbox mount
    Airbox mod with new panel filter
    New exhaust mounts
    New offside rear caliper
    18x8" Bola CSR Alloys in Matt bronze
    Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin tyres

Next to do
    HID Headlights (ready to fit)
    LED interior bulbs throughout (ready to fit)
    R26.R Spoiler
    Thorough deep cleaning and correcting stages when I get time
    Tints for the rear windows
    Remap
    Exhaust
    Injectors
    Intercooler

Anything else I should add?

24. Pics to upload shortly but now we've done a few more jobs:

Facelift rear light conversion
    HID 6K Headlights, (Terminator kit)
    LED interior bulbs all round
    LED Sidelights
    LED Rear number plate lights
    Passenger door handle now fixed as previous owner had made a mess of that once we got the door card off, simple fix to route the wire the right way and all sorted.

Still thinking of the next few bits to do but it's really coming together now.

martin1977 likes this.
  25. Looks spot on mate

26. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

Can you do some pictures without the van in the background for the RSM FB page mate

27. Sorry for the delay, will get some pics done soon!! The car has had a few more jobs done, new abs wheel speed sensor to fix a fault it developed. Air con regas so back to ice cold. Also had a remap with a quantum map and it goes really well now - just about 260bhp I'd estimate but it has transformed it

28. This car is looking so good now, like a new one !

29. Pics of it all cleaned up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sair225 likes this.
  30. wheels look a little bit off ? what ET they have? thank you and very good you bring to life that Meggy