Megane 225/230 and 250/265 engines.

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by andybond, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Hello all.

Working through a few ideas in my head as to what bends rods. Ill get to that in a bit , but for now :

Whats the main differences between the 225/230 engine and the 250/265 engine ? Are rods and pistons the same ? Any major / minor differences with internals ?

I know the 250/265 engine runs a different turbo - how so ? I need detail - not its bigger. Anyone know inducer / exducer / trim sizes ?

Trying to work out a few things here ..

2. Andy all I know is that the rods and pistons are different mate, don't know how though, sorry

3. RSRacing

RSRacing RSM Trader

Megane 225/230 have a turbo with a T14 turbine wheel ....Megane 250/265 is larger T15 .
    Internals are more stong in the new Megane.
    Head cylinder a bit diferent and also the cams....apart from the VVT.

4. I think the 250 has different exhaust valves as well.

5. I have heard the rods and pistons are the same.

6. 250 engine has vvt, different cam profile, lower compression pistons, different conrods, bigger turbo, etc.
    225 use the same conrods as a 1*2...

7. Interesting point on the rods being the same.
    What comp ratio is the 250 running ?

8. I think the comp ratio is 8.5:1.
    Rods are definitely the same as a 1*2 in the mk2's.

9. I think the r26 is 9.5:1 so thats drastically lower.

Interesting.

I have a theory that the reason the rods are bending is due to the way the torque is being delivered in large amounts so low down the rev range. I think this could be due to the small turbo and something to do with the cam. I am unsure on how to overcome this and if the torque was pushed further up the range or in a less steep curve if the rods would survive. My guess is it would , as the Meg 250 engine seems to support this. The main difference being the compression ratio drop though. Are there any fuelling differences such as the movement of the pump from in tank ?

10. Supposedly rods only fail due to high rpm, but as far as I'm concerned thats complete rubbish!
    My engine failed at 3000rpm which is around the max torque area produced from td04, so 325lbft in 2nd gear, no wheel spin, etc so something had to give...
    250 has stronger internals, low compression, a larger turbo and vvt, so all this will have an affect on the torque/power curve and help safeguard the engine.

250 has different injectors and a rising rate fuel pressure regulator, but still not return line.

11. Anyone got any torque / hp charts from a dyno dymanics for a 250/265 ? I have mine from a r26 ..

12. I'm sure josh cook used to use the 250 bottom end on an R26 engine, ran it with 280/280 and said it was pretty much bullet proof Andy

13. Sorry along with 250 pistons

14. I saw thst on FB Steve.

Want more than 280. Have more now. If going to strip the engine might as well go forged. Seeing if I can avoid the forged route.

15. I was sure the later R26's had vvt? Even Paul @ RSTuning was talking to me about it..

16. You not getting confuddled with the 250s? Afaik there were never any vvt r26. There were rumors that some r26r late editions had smf but no one can find the part numbers ...

17. r26's dont have vvt mate, i wish they did as i would have went for it when RST built my engine.

im sure iv seen the french lads are fitting 250 engines to mk2's and having a reliable 320bhp.

18. I can't get my head around transplanting a 250 engine in? Seems expensive to do really compared to forging a r26.

If I can get 320bhp and similar torque on a r26 engine with standard internals safely I'll be chuffed.

19. 320bhp is probably stretching the limits of the standard internals and also a hybrid turbo.

250 conversion does seem expensive, if the std gearbox isnt compatable, also not sure if the euro 4 r26 ecu will do vvt...

20. Megane 250 turbo? 3071?

Change compression ratio if needed, thicker head gasket or 197/200 head.

I recall too that VVT doesn't work on the r26 ecu..

21. Megane 250 or hybrid mate. The 250 has a td04 15T, my R26 has a td04 20T and only makes 315bhp, so i guess the vvt helps make more power.

wasn't sure if the R26 used a sagem3000 ecu or not.

22. What really impresses me is the fact they all make 300plus just off a map and loads of torque.

plus anymore i personally think is too much for fwd, would ruin its handling and torque steer all over the place

23. It doesnt. I drove the mental powered one. Feels as good as my car at putting the power down.

24. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Agree with Andy, Theres a 400+ RS250 up here and from what the owner has told me, it drives like stock but with a LOAD more grunt.

Even the MK2 FRS's that run 440+ BHP and mega torque drive very nicely, Its all down to the mapping IMO

25. Fair play then, in the wet though (that we have 90% of the year) its too much, my 265 struggles in second in the wet have to modulate!

26. My car cant put the power down in 3rd gear if its damp, but pauls old .R had no issues with grip at 371bhp in similar conditions. I guess power delivery and mapping makes a difference.

27. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Really?

My mapped 250 has no traction issues in the wet, I am running 245 wide tyres though

28. My stage one R26 will give me the TC light in first and second in the wet, sometimes third. That's on Michelin PS3s.
    by contrast my old 328i would give me no such hassle, on PS2s. Correct axle receiving the power? There was slightly less power and it didn't have TC either.
    On the skinny budgets I originally aquired the car on it would spin the wheels in the change up to third, which was at nearly 70mph. That was a little scary.

Djauweh likes this.
  29. RSRacing

RSRacing RSM Trader

yes. Is possible fit the 250 engine and work with the oem ecu(sagem 3000)here we have one 230 run with this.
    but i think head ported + hybrid turbo is a better mod.

30. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

So many options its a minefield. This year its Hybrid/250 for me and injectors. Truth be told i'd love to fit a 250 lump but thats just silly money.

Already running a different head gasket so thats a start haha. After running joshs race megane at oulton 308 bhp is plenty.

31. ~Dont want to fit the 250 engine , I want to find out the weak parts of the 230 engine ! :smile:

32. You need to forge the engine then fella, but then you will want more than 320bhp. Im already bored of mine and want more, but dont think its worth spending another £5000 on the car to gain another 130bhp and have to rebuild the gearbox every other week.

you might be better fitting a hybrid turbo for 300/300 and putting the car on a severe diet?

33. You could be right ..

But the bit that is bugging me so badly is what is the weak part ?

If the meg 250 runs the same rods , then it cant be them.

Different pistons , head volume and VVC are all I can come up with.

Can the meg r26 be fitted with a 197/200 head ( they are the same CC apparently ) as the meg 250/265 head and produce more reliable power ?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  34. Steven878 it is not the power that brakes the box it is the torque.And torque for 400-420 (on gtx3071) bhp is in the same region as in your hybrid.

35. Does anyone have any images of the 250 oem rods ?

36. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

The 250 doesn't have the same rods, They are stronger hence they can cope with 380+lbsft!

37. The 197 head does fit on the megane block & it is a direct fit. The only real gain I can see is if you want to be above 500bhp & the standard head will flow that.
    Lee

38. Not querying strength. I had an image of 250 oem rods somewhere but lost it. I want to compare against f7p ones ..