Matt's OG 250

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by Matt, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Can I ask a stupid question how do you reinforce the gearbox mount. I have seen the ktec torque link and engine mounts. But can't say I have seen anything about gearbox mount. Cheers in advance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. I guess it's not actually strengthening the gearbox mount, just replacing the oem bolt which is prone to breaking and way too small. Remove the whole mount and re drill and tap the bottom part of the mount that's threaded. Mine was drilled with a 13mm and tapped to m14.

3. Hello!

Nice car!
    Wonder how you fitted the bucket seats?
    Do have you any picture of how the original seat belt fastener is mounted?

Maybe thinking of re-trim my steeringwheel, how much did you pay for alcantara?
    Can't find any prices on their website.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  4. Hi Matt,

Great car and love your mods.

I have the Corbeau seats on order, they arrive next month. However, I'm struggling to source base mounts for them - how did you install your seats?

I'm actually not far from you - if you don't mind, we could meet and share thoughts one weekend. I see someone else suggested the same above - could be a mini RS gathering one Sunday... :smile:

Thanks
    Rich

Matt likes this.
  5. Still love how this looks. Sorry I didn't reply to your text Matt. Unfortunately, I'm the exact opposite of you, I work in Chelmsford but live elsewhere so am only there during the week! Put a deposit down on a red 265 last week and collecting this weekend so will most likely be booking it in for the mid box chop ASAP as they do sound a bit tame as standard.

Matt likes this.
  6. Thanks mate. And no problem! It's hard to juggle work to be honest. Definitely have to have a meet up when you get yours. And for sure it needs a chop! It's very subtle and nice to get a few pops in sport.

7. Thank you!

The seats have been mounted using the standard sliders and subframes. I've cut out the side mounts to they avoid the standard slider mechanism and bolt flat to the slider. The seats are then bolted directly to them. The seatbelt fastener has then been bolted to the side mount.

I paid £150 from Royal Steering wheels, drop them an email. They offer a fantastic service and I can't recommend Jack enough!

8. Hi Rich,

Appreciate that!
    Just replied to the comment above so hopefully that helps! Looking back now it would probably be ideal to buy the Ktec subframes and bolt the corbeau sliders and side mounts to those. However I couldn't justify the price and am very happy with how mine turned out.

I'm definitely up for that, would be good fun. Me and a few pals take a Sunday blast out every now and then, grab some breakfast and that too!

9. Thanks for the answer!
    Ok will have to see if I can get hold of some spare subframes cheap and try that myself then.

150£ sound pretty good for a re-trim. If the shipping isn't to high, from Sweden, I will do it for sure :smile:

10. There's no modification needed to the standard subframes so no need to get new ones. Just unbolt them from your current seats. All the cutting and modification is done on the bucket seat side mount.

Drop him an email for sure mate!

11. I shipped my wheel over from the Netherlands, well worth it!

12. Aha ok.....looks like I have something to do this weekend now, thanks! :smiley:

Awesome! May I ask what you did pay in shipping?

13. Something like €18 to ship from here, £16 to have it shipped back.

14. Thanks for the comments re seats. Will take a look at k-tec's mounts.

Re meet and run - let me know where and time and I'll be there. We also do a few runs around Essex albeit during spring/summer mostly..

Matt likes this.
  15. Hey bud,
    Just ordered some TD 1.3 in 18x8.5 et45 from Demon tweeks, they rang saying they may have to get them machined or specially made.
    Did you have to go through any of this??
    also, can you fit the Renault centre caps?

Thanks

16. Hi mate,

They called me and said the same when I ordered from them, but they definitely don't. Mine fit with no issues at all. I'm not sure about the centre caps, I hadn't tried fitting but imagine they'll be a bit too small. I prefer the TD ones TBH!

17. Awesome appreciate it pal, and thanks for making me buy those alloys, loved the look of yours that much!!

Matt likes this.
  18. CAE and carbon surround arrived at the weekend
    6c4ac477d8db7a54942959fae002fb0a.jpg
    ae000dc91fc8ab2a214377839a073564.jpg
    2428a29dec9772065c0830b2e8450f50.jpg
    Pretty straightforward and easy to fit if anyone was wondering, managed to do mine on my drive with basic tools in about an hour and half.

Fitted a drivers side harness and a £7 eBay net in the back
    96f11ebd2c5e4ed45a328f04b5d01e2e.jpg
    2d8ebb7adf396a364fe320339d2e5836.jpg

Will be at Snetterton on April 10th if anyone else is there? And 'ring 4th - 8th may.

Need to remove my rear lights and re seal them, advice on how to get them out would be appreciated!

YFZ450SE, Bowen, DOOOOK and 2 others like this.
  19. That shifter is awesome

Matt likes this.
  20. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Rear lights are easy, IIRC its one torx screw then theres a grey plastic rod that unscrews from the back of the unit

Matt likes this.
  21. Thanks man I'll have another look. I did try but they didn't want to budge, or felt like there were clips that were going to break. Undone the torx and removed the plastic and then the 2 plastic rods inside

22. Car looks fanatic, I am extremely tempted with a CAE and was going to ask how tricky they re to fit. Do you need to remove the whole centre console or just the sides that pop off? Did you buy it from Ktec? I am loathed to spend the extra £100 on a black one but it does look great :smile:

23. Thanks mate. I would definitely recommend one. They are expensive and if I'm honest over priced for what they are, but I've always been so disappointed in the gear change and it really let the driving experience down when in the car for me. You do have to take the whole centre console out but it's very easy, only 4 torx bolts and 2 push bolt things and it's out. I did get mine from Ktec but I won't recommend ordering through them. I won't go into why on here as many people rate ktec but if I was to get one again I'd go direct through CAE. For me it had to be black, I wouldn't of been happy if it was silver!

24. That's great thank you mate. I hear you on the gear change, it feels a bit clunky and lose as standard right? MY Clio 200 was awesome, but the Megane just doesn't feel as good.

I did consider ordering through CAE directly, I wonder if it would be a hassle owing to the fact they're based abroad?

25. Yeah mine was very loose, sometimes struggled getting it in 1st and 4th, my selector must have been well worn.

Ordering through Ktec is just a middleman though, you order with them and they will order through CAE so I'd definitely go straight to them if I were to order again.

26. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Ktec were actually coming in cheaper than direct, CAE won't do any discount unless your buying 10 units. I got mine from GT Performance in France as they were the only ones with stock for upto 6 weeks last year as they were having manufacturing issues or similar

27. This is what I thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28. Do you have to remove the gearknob or can you just remove the plastic console and unbolt and remove the whole assembly without tearing it all to pieces? Cheers

29. Exactly as you said, centre console out and unbolt the whole selector.

Lewis likes this.
  30. Nice one dude cheers. Need to get one on order then! I just cannot decide on colour combo it's killing me [emoji14]

31. Hi Matt. Lovely car! Never thought grey on grey would go but it looks the part!

Do you need to remove the engine mount to fit the powerflex insert?

32. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

As has been said before, you physically can't fit the insert with the mount in situ.

33. Thanks Jack! Yeah the whole mount needs to be removed. Very straightforward and easy though.

34. Cheers chaps

35. So I got my Performance Friction Z front pads and new discs fitted, along with some Hel braided lines and Typ200 fluid. The rear lines are a right PITA to fit, I should have taken the advice of most and left the rears standard. But she stops spot on now!

Random picture from work;

a67990c3ed414f32442e71ee0b56d50c.jpg

Done my first track day on Monday at Snetterton. Car was faultless and performed very very well. 2 hour drive there, abuse all day and a 2 hour drive back, can't complain at all about these cars! Got the bug now and will be booking more for sure.

The front in the morning was a bit sketchy up front under braking, a bit unpredictable and pulling one way. This wasn't noticeable in the afternoon so I'm hoping it was just the discs and pads needing to be bedded in properly. I will get the alignment checked and wheels balanced again just to check.

859ddea8b9d5e6f47e852946aac51145.jpg
    7b8df25a3505543123f4206c21bb37ab.jpg
    b72e5324375d23805d07dee70544e016.jpg
    22fe42a67157ba11e872e687996e0127.jpg

Going to try some RSR's out when I go to Nurburg in May, Nankangs were melting a lot at the rear but still performed very well.

jack250 likes this.
  36. Service and check over before ring..
    I'm still using the recommended elf oil but each time I change it it seems to be very black. It's changed every 5k so I'm thinking of changing to nanotech or Fuchs, anyone have other suggestions?

cd1d8883254b5e574b4e21213ba69a22.jpg
    684c7c4be5a676eef1d3ca1a01894954.jpg
    14d2fc2081ce49a73ed64de4cace563e.jpg

Debated a lot with selling the car and had a fair bit of interest, however the car I was after sold before mine. Went on a trip to the ring and I am so glad I kept it. Got a few plans for when I return next year but am definitely going to get it out on track a lot more
    289af0548de7a47c80c89e5867959e8b.jpg
    f38ff13665a12eed4698d0f4fddb0ca2.jpg
    91104b0491cbfea17275b2d81f1f7876.jpg
    039c9f497ea7cd86c44b9b76ba9ba383.jpg

Unfortunately only managed to get 4 laps in due to the weather. 2 of those were VLN laps which were amazing, will for sure be going out on the gp track when I return.

Been having issues with the seats flexing under a lot of pressure, this is to be expected as they are cheap budgets and have served me well up until now, but they'll be getting upgraded if anyone knows of some nice standard size buckets for sale?

37. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I run mine on Fuchs or Nanodrive depending on what deals Opie have on

Matt likes this.
  38. What Fuchs do you go for?

39. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Titan XTR or whatever is called these days, used to be called Silkolene pro s or similar

Matt likes this.
  40. I ordered some Titan race Pro yesterday :smiley:

Matt likes this.