Martin1977 's 'CUP' Adventure

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by martin1977, Apr 30, 2016.

1. It's minimal cost of course (less than £100), but something I always do when it's a new car.
    Now considering changing the gearbox oil. Car has just notched 80k miles... Plus it's the last fluid needing changed. Wait till you see, I'll do the gear oil then sell it [emoji30][emoji379]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Some glorious weather and empty roads mean that there are a LOT of flies to be cleaned off tomorrow

[​IMG]

Trophyboy likes this.
  3. Decided to take the Megane to work today..... would appear that winter has arrived in Aberdeenshire

[​IMG]

L-1011 likes this.
  4. No car work this weekend...
    pumpkin time with the kids [emoji1419]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rTEM and Xanda73 like this.
  5. Like this?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

L-1011 and martin1977 like this.
  6. That's the one!!!! Superb effort there [emoji1419]

L-1011 likes this.
  7. Pumpkins are ridiculously good!

RS 175 Lux

martin1977 likes this.
  8. With a spare weekend on my hands, mrs working until late and only the internet for company... to help preserve my eyesight, I thought I'd tackle some of the minor maintenance issues that have been piling up... This update is therefore a mix of both 'wear and tear' and 'preferential' engineering.

FIRST JOB- New rear shock absorbers.
    Been noticing the old ones are providing a less than reassuring 'thud' going over any rough ground... a quick call to RENAULT PARTS DIRECT and Paul had sorted me with 2(of) new rear cup struts.
    An overnight soaking of WD40 made this easy...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All replaced and ready for the bin...

[​IMG]

SECOND JOB- Radio Reception
    I don't listen to the radio (at all), it's Spotify all the way via the apple carplay app... that is until that one day you forget your phone.. Radio reception was TERRIBLE.
    RPD again to the rescue with a new amplified antennae base.

[​IMG]

Old and new
    [​IMG]

With the possible reason for failure..?

[​IMG]

This job is a real, REAL PITA... limited access and the fear of creasing the roof liner... along with the wiring clipped into place... takes time to do properly.
    For anyone tackling this job it's a 22mm nut that holds the aerial in position. Also note that there's a channel within the nut that holds the cable in place, hence only one way it can be re-assembled.
    I also taped the new base to the roof to aid getting the nut started on its thread..

[​IMG]

THIRD JOB - Installing new number plate lights... existing LEDs would only last around 2-3months....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomorrow, gearbox work and HID replacement .

L-1011, Xanda73 and rTEM like this.
  9. Today first up is an HID bulbs' replacement
    Both OEM HID bulbs still work... I just wasn't overly impressed with the light outputted from them. I'm still undecided on the (Moot) point over the degradation / ageing affect of HIDs with time.. I reasoned that the 9yrs old existing items, I've had my monies worth and they've served their purpose.
    A couple of OSRAM XENARC 5K D1S bulbs from HIDS-DIRECT to replace..
    Bumper off...
    [​IMG]

New bulbs in...

[​IMG]

Feedback is that they appear to be a LOT brighter and the Visibility on country roads is improved.
    Without a LUX meter, I have no scientific basis for this claim so you'll just have to take my word on it.

I also replaced a failed LED sidelight at the same time.

Next up- Short Shift Install
    Had this lying around for ages... today's the day for fitting (Andrew Jeffs / boardy do a great guide on this replacement), while I had direct (and easy) access to the gearbox, I did a quick gear oil fluid change to freshen things up...
    [​IMG]

It's a 10mm Allen key to remove the gear oil drain plug.

OPIE OILS obliged with some Fuchs Titan Sintofluid 75W-80.
    A quick funnel from a diluting drinks bottle and the new fluid was much easier to pour in rather than via the 'recommended' fill point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The throw with the short shifter is a HUGE improvement over standard. Can 100% recommend this to anyone with a 225

As the car stands today, all engine / brake / gearbox fluids have been replaced in the last 1K miles, belts have been changed in the last 2K miles and everything back to 100% working order

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  10. Fitted the Xenarcs to mine too. Seem brighter but the throw out onto the road is still poor on mine, especially when raining. Maybe it's an alignment issue.

I fitted these without removing the bumper. I'm not averse to taking it off but I couldn't be arsed when I changed the bulbs in the dark. If you pull the arch lining back you can get to them easy enough with a bit of skin scraping [emoji12]

RS 175 Lux

martin1977 likes this.
  11. Picked up a set of second hand 17" Clio 197 wheels to fit the winter boots on. Cooper Weathermaster Snow. Awesome in the white stuff... with the gauge at -5 degrees C yesterday.. ready just in time!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  12. Do they clear the calipers?

RS 175 Lux

13. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

should do, they're 197 wheels which use the same set up

L-1011 and martin1977 like this.
  14. Perfect fit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    nickfrog and L-1011 like this.
  15. Car now up for sale ... sad times.

16. Whattt?

17. L-1011 likes this.
  18. I'm guessing your in the business of oil or boats?

I'm only in Glasgow myself.
    This is a great car. Shame you need funds and don't want to swap for a 175

RS 175 Lux

martin1977 likes this.
  19. Oh no! What is next? Good luck with the sale.

martin1977 likes this.
  20. Haha, The business is indeed 'oil'!! I miss those $100/barrel days... next car which is lying in my driveway is a (rough) Grande Vitara... [emoji20]

21. The new house will be worth it I am sure.

martin1977 and L-1011 like this.