Mark's 225 Track Car

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by Mark., Aug 8, 2013.

1. Yeah Im going to see how they go without rivets/screws first.

The cars off the road now anyway as I got a trailer so Im too fussed about aesthetics

2. [​IMG]

3. I've screwed mine just for added protection. Don't wish them to pop out at silly speeds.

4. Got the windows fitted yesterday, you'd never tell they're plastic till you push them and they bend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Did you rivet them in?

im tempted to buy a set...

6. there is no rivets or screws in those

7. No I didnt rivet them in.

The fitter used some 2 pac stuff to fix them on and told me it'll hold no bother. He said they'd usually sand a plastic window a touch before putting the adhesive on but he didnt do it because of the painted border.

Will see how it goes, cant complain for the price, fit and and finsh !

8. Ummm.. Who fitted them? Look bang on and id like a set

9. I really want a set!!

ill see how you get on and possibly be in touch to get the same guy to fit them to mine...

10. The glazing company that does all our vans and cars.

The fitter obviously had it down to a tee with the right tools etc so didn't take him long.

The Knockhill weather will soon put them to the test !

11. Gray

Gray RSM Moderator

I do like the look of those rear windows... Might order a set myself.

12. Well some progress soon for the Megane...

Thanks to being a little eager with the kerbs at knockhill (the sausage ones not the normal painted ones) I managed to break the OS drive shaft explode at the centre join, sheered the driveshaft mount in two and broke the OS KW V3 spring :mad::blush:

Cheers to DMN1989 for the push back onto the trailer :wink:

So after chatting to KW I've ordered some stiffer springs for the front which are the same length as the initial set they come with and ill see how they are then order up some springs for the rear with helpers etc. to change the set-up and they'll be stiffer too.

Cant wait but I'm fussing over the length I need at the rear as it sits a bit high for my liking. Also seems Ive no rear adjuster so ill need to buy one of them too.

13. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

The sausages are brutal at KH if you hit them wrong, I almost rolled the RS250 at the chicane last time i was out lol!

Probably the reason why all 4 of my swivel joints are fucked tbh

14. Tell me about it, it was at Butchers too so I had the added fun of the track dipping away beneath me.

15. No problem Mark.

Glad you managed to get new uprated springs sorted :wink:

16. Nice progress thread mark, don't know why I haven't noticed this before :confused:

your is coming along nicely love all the work carried out must be a laugh to drive on track now, hopefully get to see this in the flesh at some point, I go up knockhill a bit with the boys over on CS, my mate has a track 172 and its a buzz on track :smiley:

17. Thanks Keenan, its not to shabby.
    Its still on road bias tyres AD08s but once they're done it should be even better with proper tyres on it.

If I'm about at Knockhill come over and ill take you round in it for a few laps.

Where in town are you from, have you had the 225 long ?

18. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

Lovely work mark. I'm torn in the windows. I'd want them fitting to the same quality as yours.

19. I'm from barmulloch just outside springburn, are you from Glasgow?

I've had mine around 2 1/2 years now, cost me a small fortune in that time lol just the age of it really more wear and tear parts than anything

20. They're decent for the price, just get a window company to fit them.
    That's what I done.

I'm from Airdrie, I was only asking as there was a blue 225 in my mates garage in baillieston for a while there.
    I take it that it wasn't yours.

21. Windows look bang on. did they fix the issue with the surrounds coming off?

22. Thanks Chris, I don't think it's an issue to be honest for me the rivets are more for peace of mind.

I don't think mine will come off anyway, I've done a couple of track sessions with them fitted and Knockhill weathers normally terrible and you can reach a semi decent speed.

23. Looking brilliant mark, how many miles has she done now

24. I've ordered up some Powerfelx Black Series rear beam bushes and front anti roll bar bushes. Hopefully they get some more developed soon

Thanks Steve, I'm not sure about the mileage I think it's sitting around 70k

25. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

I was chatting to powerflex at Autosport yesterday and I'm going to go for the purple beam bushes, just the chap mentioned the black series ones are HARD. I'm going to put black ones on the front ARB though and again back to purple for lower gearbox mount (which has an add on if you want to stiffen it for track). As you said they have a lot in dev too so it can only a good thing.

26. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Black series are fine on an out and out track car, Which Marks is.

For a car that is used on road and track i wouldn't even think of putting blacks on it. Harsh as fuck.

27. Im leaving the mounts for now as Ive not long replaced them all.
    It'll be good to see what comes out next, they've got loads for the Clio's so hopefully the Megane ends up with a fair amount.

Yeah they should be a nice addition to the new springs for the V3's

28. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

I'm after the springs for the V3s too btw mark let me know what they set you back as I've never been happy with the rear rates on mine either.

29. 450lbs will be bang on same as my new ASTs come with.

30. Ive been recommended their 60-200 spring for the front (60n/mm = 343 lds/inch)​
    They've recommend I change the rear spring set-up from just a spring to a main spring, intermediate ring and a helper spring (the same as their Clubsport kits)

60-170 main spring
    (60n/mm = 343 lds/inch)​
    Intermediate Ring
    10-60-80 helper spring

Give me a shout if you want their contact details and the specific part numbers.

KW's are totally different to the AST's Steve.

The KW engineer told me their damper technology is very different from AST as they use a Twin Tube Technology and their valving does a lot of the work too so theres no need to go for much stiffer springs.

Any reason why you've gone for those spring rates all round, when I had the AST's on my 197 Cup I had:

80n/mm on the front (457 lds/inch)
    110n/mm on the rear (629 lds/inch)

31. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

Interesting point mark, the second I spun at copse with them freshly fitted I wanted to get rid of the rear setup, when they arrive let me know and we'll discuss my options (if you don't mind)..

32. Yeah thats cool, its good to get some different views on it.

The fronts are here now and I was going to get the rears next month but Im going to order the rears earlier.

33. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

You uprated the front springs too or have I read that wrong? With the black series ARB bushes and some nismo developed front arms a mate at nissan is working on the front should be mega once I'm all done (but compliant for the road too). I'll let you know how my front arm stuff development goes.

34. Fronts are updated too, might as well as I was replacing one anyway.

It'll be good to see what your mate comes up with for the front.

Hope me they're not going to be a one off piece ! :wink:

35. That's what the recommend and they perform fantastic on the other guys, when on full soft their sorter than standard with better damping on the road, turn them up an track and you've got a race car

36. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

They'll be limited but I'll make sure the right people are looked after. He's chassis dev at Nismo UK so it's part of work for him as they have RenaultSport things in all the time. Front springs are an interesting one. I've always found the fronts decent but again be great to see what you think!

37. You don't hang about mate! Its going to be like a new car on track this year :smile:

Iv ordered the purple ones for my car. Better get the air chisel sharpened...

38. Should be good !!!

39. New front springs arrived on Saturday morning from KW for my V3's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

40. Very excited that I came across these thread. I am also trying to change my springs from standard KW V3 springs. Unlike you my problem are front springs, they are too soft for track/day use. Are you changing front springs also? What combination?

From what I have read you are going with a main + helper spring for the rear (60-170/10-60-80 helper spring)
    Front is 60-200?

Do you know what the standard spring spec, front and rear?

Thank you

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015