Many thoughts from Sweden

Discussion in 'New to the Club? Why not introduce yourself?' started by Ola Leufvenmark, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Hey!

My name is Ola and I live just north of Stockholm in Sweden, born in 1976 and very interested in everything that make engine noises and smell of exhaust fumes. I have owned my RS225 (2008) since May 2015 and it has so far been the family's second car. It has taken me to and from work, transporting kids to training, going shopping for food, driven on twisty and narrow b-roads and I have been visiting track days two or three times per year. The Megane RS225s that were sold in Sweden in 2008 seem to have both the lux package and the cup chassis but unfortunately not a lsd.

This year, however, it has gone downhill with the car. The front suspension does not feel healthy, it cracks and make all sort of sounds and it behaves strangely during acceleration and braking. I guess the front hubs need to be replaced. The gearbox has bad syncros on the second gear as well, it scratches and sounds bad. I will have finished building my garage during the winter and my idea is then to roll in my Megane and tear it down. The gearbox needs to be renovated just like the suspension. It is no longer the family's second car but our third car and thus my pleasure ride full time. In the future, I will take it out on twisty roads in the countryside on beautiful summer evenings and aim to increase the number of track days to about maybe ten per year. I have different ideas on where I want to go with the car and would like your feedback on these thoughts. Today I have a 3-inch exhaust system with race catalyst, K-tec Racing cold air intake, upgraded brakes with better brake pads, braided brake lines, good brake fluid and a Quaife ATB diff fitted but want to modify further.

Brakes: The calipers will be renovated, but otherwise they will be kept as they are for the time being. It stops well and I have the same feeling in the brakepedal for several laps on the track. Future upgrades might be RS250/265 brakes or floating discs.

Bushings: Original, Powerlex (purple or black), Superpro? What are your experiences? Must go hand in hand with the suspension I choose.

Shock absorbers / springs: Today the car has the original cup parts that have been driven 210,000 kilometers. Whatever I change to will be an improvement. My basic idea is to continue driving with new cup shock absorbers but replace the springs with, for example, Grams. Want to get negative camber in the front and one thought is to combine this with top bearings from Compbrake or Silver Project. Or should I go all the way and install coilovers? Would like to install AST 5200 or Nitron, but I will only be able to fit for example BC Racing in my budget. Other ideas?

Suspension: New front suspension is needed (bushings, support arms, hub assembly, etc.). Are there different anti-roll bars in the front? I can not do much with the rear suspension, but would like to install an anti-roll bar. Are there kits to buy similar to the factory fited on the Megane R26? Negative camber in the rear? Is it possible to solve this, as on for example the Megane generation 3?

Gearbox: Remove and send it away for renovation. Fit some type of shortshift when the gearbox is going back in the car again.

Engine: Mapping maybe, but I think I want to install a larger intercooler first. Have a crazy ticking from the valves I would like to get rid of, but it's mostly a beauty flaw.

Interior: Install a real bucket seat and four-point harness. I'm a bit in vain and think it looks strange to have a bucket seat only for me (the driver) in the car, but it will be much cheaper with just one seat and one harness than with a double set-up. Are there any good solutions for fitting a four-point harness? Would like to have the back seat still in the car for some unclear reason. If the rear seat is removed and a cage is installed, the fitting of a four-point harness will be easier, but the opportunity to drive family or friends will disappear.

Where to buy? K-Tec Racing, Kam Racing, RS Tuning, others? We have no company specializing in Renault Sport in Sweden, and Brexit is coming closer...

Well this became a very long introduction, but I would really like comments and ideas from others that already have tried different things.

Best regards
    Ola

Attached Files: