Manual Boost control Valve help?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Bewick, Oct 8, 2014.

1. I have done numerous searches on here to see if its been covered previously but cant seem to find anything on them?

Anyway....

My friend has just bought a mk4 golf turbo and the guy who he bought it off said theres a manual boost control valve and boost gauge in the glove box brand new never fitted. Hes asked me to give him a hand fitting them on the weekend so I was looking earlier at setup images of the control valves on google images, they seem very simple to install and apparently help the turbo reach boost quicker?!? Its something I know nothing about at all, but after reading some of the tuning websites that explain the benefits of them I was starting to wonder if my 225 would benefit from one. If so which one is best to get as I've seen some with 3 ports and some with only 2, also how easy are they to dial in and setup correctly so youre actually causing more good than bad? Also I don't know if it'll make any difference but my 225 is currently running a forge atmospheric DV (previous owner fitted it!!!) Any 225 specific help and knowledge would be ideal, I have read several websites with a general overall explanation of these valves and I get a basic understanding but most of them went into very technical detail that went straight over my head!!

Cheers, Dan

2. Hi Dan.

Short answer : You dont need , or want one.

You will gain nothing other than a large bill for an engine that ran lean.

3. Cheers Andy!!! Appreciate the advice to avoid them. These Frenchies are money pits at the best of times !!! So I'll dodge that bullet.