Mégane 265 MOT fail on DRLs

Discussion in 'New to the Club? Why not introduce yourself?' started by Ben Clarke, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Hi,
    Can somebody advise, I have a Mégane 265 (2012) and it's just gone for it's MOT however it failed as the two left/right front side lights weren't working. Upon further inspection the two side lights (which are inside headlight unit) aren't connected but there is a new bulb in both! There's no wires going to them. I then got told by Renault that the 2010/11 models did have side lights working but the 2012 model they decided to not have them connected and instead use the DRLs as the side lights and of course I had one of these not working hence the fail, but I thought the DRLs weren't part of an MOT?! Can anybody clear this up please. Ben

2. Charlie Howard

Charlie Howard RSM Club Member

Do you not have DRL in the blade?

3. Yes I do, but one has been out for a while (trying to find part without going through Renault) so I assumed the DRLs weren't part of the MOT as it's an EU directive and not a UK thing

4. Charlie Howard

We're still part of the EU for now lol. I believe if they're fitted from factory they're required to work. But yes all Megane 3 headlights have the location for a DRL but as you have the blade they won't be used.

5. Still doesn't make sense, why leave side lights and bulbs in the headlight not connected, and assume everybody knows why? Then assume everybody knows this is because the DRLs are now considered the side lights?

6. Charlie Howard

I assume because it would be a waste of time to remove unused bulbs in every RS when they are built.

7. French work ethic! Alot to be desired!!

8. Charlie Howard

Pretty much every car manufacturer does it this way as it saves time

9. Well the DRL are your side lights as of course must work, there’s an option in menu ‘auto lights’ to activate

As said the headlight bulbs aren’t used

10. 266053123R
    266008864R

11. Charlie Howard

You don't happen to know the part number for the 265 blade do you?

12. We're going off-topic, sorry haven't got that part number.

13. Yes I do