Ly megane 275 trophy

Discussion in 'New to the Club? Why not introduce yourself?' started by Christopher carenduff, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Hi, all
    I have just purchased my first megane sport. It's a ly yellow 275 trophy. Picked it up yesterday with my son from Wolverhampton and made the 280 mile trip back home to glasgow. I am not new to the Renault scene as I also own a 172 cup and a 197 albi blue. My first renaultsport was a clio 172 iceberg silver I had for 6 years. I've had the 197 since 2012 and the 172 cup since 2015. The 172 cup is a track car. The megane feels on another level to the 172 cup and 197. Really enjoyed the 4 1/2 hour drive home in the megane yesterday.

Any advice on common faults to look out for from other owners would be appreciated.

Regards chris
    20200929_172720.jpg 20200929_220936.jpg 20200719_074425.jpg 20200627_120406.jpg 20200331_145808.jpg 20200929_220936.jpg

Muxa, NotaDiesel!!! and RsMarley like this.
  2. Hi, nice car mate!! Love the colour!

I own a 275, NAV S&S edition CUP.
    From the mechanical prospestive I had no issues what so ever.
    But I had some minor annoying (funny actually) problems. For example first my right door hadle button (small button that unlock the car if you have key-less card) has stopped working. Couldn't unlock the car from that button, had to pres the card. It didn't bother me that much tbh as I am from SLO and I have LHD car, so that was passanger door. But I fixed it anyway. The moment i fixed that side, the left door lock (driver side) stopped working, so the left door didn't want to lock or unlock... So hat to fix this as this one bothered me much more hehe.
    And for the moment, my rear wiper is not working, the problem is in wiper motor it self. But as I peronally don't use rear wiper at all I'm not really looking in to fixing this any soon.
    But other than that, I didn't had any issues with the car in my 3 year ownership. The car is working perfectlly, fun to drive. Leaving behind a lot of more powerfull cars on the thack an B-roads. You will have a blast with it, I guarantee.

Save driving, enjoy it!!

Christopher carenduff likes this.
  3. between 50-70k miles cambelt and water pump replace
    as matter of course regardless of mileage change thermostat
    check the clutch resonator that sits below the battery if weeping (can see if remove wheel arch liner)

4. Hi @JeffSLO thanks buddy I am really happy with the car it's what I was expecting and much more. I have wanted a meg for a few year now and this one cane along at the right time. The Renault's def do have there funny faults at times!! Having owned Renault's all my driving days you learn to put up with them . Stil undecided what to do with the other 2 clios. I have done alot of work on them and would be safe to see them go. If I can get away with it (wife) i will keep 2 on the road and put the other one in a lock up. Your car looks a well looked after example.

5. Thanks @bobsan what is the actual prob with the thermostat ? Il check the clutch resonator to see if weeping. The cambelt was replaced at end of june with water pump and serviced.

6. Holly shit Christopher! What a family have you there!!:fearscream::fearscream::fearscream: I had a 172 Cup, iceberg gray mine. Lot of fun for little money. Welcome to the Meggypedia and hope you enjoy that machine. I´ll keep an eye on your upgrades, I´m sure they will come soon!:tonguewink:

7. The temperature gauge drops very slightly, should be vertical if not a little bit higher.

Then the fuel consumption goes up

8. Thanks @manugtt
    Was interested for a few year about getting a meg was in my mates 250 cup at croft 2 year ago didnt realise how good it was out the box until I actually got a passenger ride in one that made my mind up. This ly 275 trophy was available at the right time. Really impressed with the car.

9. I changed the thermostat on the clio 197 for this very issue maybe a problem with one or more renaultsport models!!! The gauge in the clio wouldn't go over 1/4 even when sitting in warm weather in traffic.

10. Issue is thermostat stick open and results is large amount is different warnings all trigger by ECU not understanding why water temp not what should be inc air, fuel and emission warnings coming up on dash

11. Welcome.

You did well finding a yellow 275, thin pickings.

Has it got ohlins? If so worth reading up about them.

My car has been ok, had a headlight replaced under warranty as filling with condensation.

12. Thanks @NotaDiesel!!!

Yeah it only got traded in last friday the dealer put the advert on sat morning and I spotted it right away and called them up put a deposit down to go and view the car. The salesman said later that day 8 people had either tried to put a deposit down or enquired about it so I was lucky. Checked it in my friends garage yesterday and its immaculate underneath. Very tidy car and so far has been excellent to drive. It has the cup shocks no ohlins. Does your car have ohlins ? I seen there was a issue with them with corrosion?
    Chris

13. Yes mine has them.

I am less worried about corrosion and more worried about the 4 year/24k service intervals.

Although I plan to take the wheels off and give them a wipe down with ACF50 before winter. I think its only seen a couple of winters.

When I put deposit on mine without seeing the dealer phoned me up a couple of days later and offered me £250 to walk away as had another person offer him above asking price.

Good spec + yellow = desirable car.

14. Are you street parking all those RS's? or was that just for photo's?

15. No just for photos. Have a driveway. That's when I just got home from picking it up .

16. I actually thought that was going to happen with me to be honest as they said the interest on the car in so little time was the list they have seen.!! I wouldn't mind getting a ring in one with ohlins to feel the difference. Your car looks absolutely mint. Is it very pricey to get them serviced at the 4 year interval ?

17. I don't think its to pricey £7-800. Its more the hassle of getting them off sent away. Something to put back on your car. End up with double labour.

I wanted them as ultimate spec gets you closest to the R but with rear seats. Although I am not a that good a driver so I probably would be better with cup set up.

You obviously have flexability (if you can be arsed to lie under car) to have more compliance on road then better performance on track.

I find the ride on mine pretty good so assume its in road set up. If i take the wheels of to clean the shocks I will check the number of clicks.

18. That's a actually not that steep to be fair. I would have liked one with ohlins but this came up at the right time and I thought I better snap it up lol. Can you buy the ohlins from a supplier might do that at some point next year. The cup set up feels really good to be fair so cant complain at all. Can you adjust the throttle sensitivity? I thought I seen that somewhere ? Has your car been mapped or just standard ? Have you done any track days ? I have done quite a few trackdays over the last 4-5 years in the clio 172 cup. I have been to oulton park croft x2 and about knockhill about 14 times as this is our local track. I havent had the 197 on track to compare to the 172 cup.

19. I think ohlins are very expensive £3-4k. Nitron seem to be rated pretty highly at £2k.

I have not done any track days not really my thing, to be fair most of my Mile's are with family I the car. Roads are so busy on south coast that you are just sitting in traffic most of the time. So ohlins wasted on me in all reality.

Mine is std. Tempted to get mapped, but had my r26 mapped and it makes it so torquey that I just used to drive like a diesel using mid range.

I am also still under warranty being last of the cup-s registered Sept 16 with a year's extended warranty outstanding.

20. That's a good deal on the warranty on your cup s. I have only been doing the trackdays for 4-5 year it's good fun, it's a expensive hobby. I have gaz coilovers on the 172 cup but they were nowhere near the price of the ohlins or even the Nitron. I would prob keep the meg standard I think, feels quick enough the way it is. Yeah can be like that on the roads up here too.

21. I am from Scotland originally. Been down here 20 years.

Came from East coast by Dundee. And used to work in Dumbarton for a bit. Used to go home Friday afternoon up the side of Loch Lomond. The Bonny Bonny banks......

22. Oh right very nice, that's a good trip. Very nice views. My friend is away doing the nc500 this week with his wife in his m3. I really want to do that soon, it looks brillaint.