LSD spec meganes

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by tom dean, Apr 9, 2018.

1. hi there everyone,
    I am currently in the market for a facelift 265 megane, I have previously owned an r26 which made me appreciate the diff immensely.
    In looking for the facelift 265 I can not see any cup spec ones which leads me to wonder how I can identify which cars have the LSD. Or are they all equipped with it after the facelift.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Many thanks, Tom

2. How many times has this been asked.... lol. Looking for red calipers is best bet, until you go and physical see the car. As all cups are red and non cup are silver, but they could have been painted red or swapped for red ones, you could Google this the 100's of times it has been asked

3. Cheers for the reply mate, just had a few conflicting answers on google so fancied a couple more opinions on the matter. Like you state I’ll go for the red calipers , and also try to check the logbook for any cup references. Cheers

4. Look for gearbox code PK4018.

That is the LSD box.

5. Not sure how many people go crawling under cars to check the gearbox code. .. But good luck with that

6. Thanks mate, now is there any other reference to that as opposed to removing battery tray etc to have a look on the forecourt lol

7. Only other thing you can do is ask renault what spec it left the factory but that does not mean some sneaky person has not fitted a normal box, I guess you just need a bit of faith in humanity

8. Or you could drive it like its stolen and see if you can feel the lsd doing its thing

9. Haha I’m sure the salesman will not take kindly to driving in order to hook the diff up lol

10. LSD box kicks up a fuss driving round in circle slowly full steering lock

ting_tong likes this.
  11. After a recent argument with someone on Facebook, they said it's not the lsd that causes that

12. I can completely agree with that, my PK4 018 grumbles but I have zero conformation its the diff doing it

13. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Its the wide front track and geo that causes the skipping, The LSD just magnifies that but they all do it with or without the locker in them. Loads of FWD stuff that runs similar setups do it

Mikeyjp likes this.
  14. Thanks for all the replies on this subject, in the meantime I think the red callipers are the easiest way to identify the cars with LSD and then hard driving should prove the theory!!
    Any points on other things worth noting when viewing the vehicles would be appreciated. Thanks to all

15. the dont have many problems.
    biggest common fault is knocking front suspension, due to knackered suspension joints.
    drive over a few speed bumps to test.

Korky likes this.
  16. If,after all these pointers you are still not sure,get the company to contact Renault and get it confirmed in writing that it is a cup pack or you will get a full refund as not as advertised. Sure you'll be able to tell though easily enough

17. After a lot of viewings etc, I have now purchased a 64 plate 265 with Recaros and a few other bits and bobs with only 18,000 miles on it, enjoying it immensely at the moment apart from the awful cold and wet performance of the michelin cup tyres!!

Mikeyjp likes this.
  18. Its not the tyres most likley no diff in gearbox

19. No luckily it’s not I can feel the diff doing it’s thing, the tyres are just extremely poor

20. Just kidding with ya, if got red calipers its got diff, about those cup tyres, in the dry they will will be best ever but will have to be aware whats under you in cold, just as well summers on way, enjoy

21. That was my first worry but driving in the dry where the tyres are good, the diff canreally be felt and it has a lot smoother hook-up than my old r26 did, not only that but all other specs on the car lean towards the cup spec, red Brembos 235 tyres as opposed to 225 etc etc.

22. Yea awesome dry grip but god what a shock in the wet! Not like the old ps4s I used to run, mine is the same colour as yours in your profile pic. One of my favourites once viewed in the flesh.

23. Ah yes, if youve run the mighty Ps4 then nothing much will compete as all round best tyre money can by, where you located

24. You might notice my car is the compact version, it was due to be crushed for no tax but managed to stop the compactor just in time which left me with slightly shorter model, still drives/ handles ok though

25. that short wheel base must make it twitchy?
    i cant see the red calipers through those wheels bob...looks like you got diddled into buying
    a car without a diff..schoolboy error.

26. Shit....hadn’t noticed that, think I’ve got some red paint left over from anti-Vietnam protest banner I once marched around with, that should clear up the twitchy handeling

27. good move.
    .Although you might be a bit to old now, for such a flash motor ,if you where vietnam protesting..
    If my maths are correct..and i think you will find they are ,thank you very much...you must be in your 90`s.

maybe something like this would be more appropriate..not sure if it has a LSD though.
    anyone know how to check?

VAZ-1.jpg

28. That s trully awasome foto, any idea what is ?

29. It does have a LSD, they were fitted with matt black wing mirrors, the `normal` one had colour coded, & they only offered them in white.

30. It's a Lada Riva.. I used to rally the saloon version back in the day with a welded up diff... was truly interesting on tarmac roads between forest stages.

bobsan likes this.
  31. it is!..this one though has a 400hp nissan turbo lump in it though!
    The lada was a old fiat design that the russian built under license!..so it was a relic even before they started making them.