265 LSD Gearbox Oil

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Nitro94, Jan 18, 2021.

1. I’m planning on changing my gearbox oil as I’ve owned the car a few months and from the service history it hasn’t been done since it left the factory and is now on 60k miles. Just after the correct oil. I have a 2012 265 Cup, I know the oil is meant to be 75W-80 but I can’t find information on many of the oils if there safe to use in an LSD gearbox.
    From what I understand LSD oil has friction modifiers in and it’s possible to buy normal gearbox oil and add these to it (please correct me if I’m wrong.
    Could someone please explain how I can tell if a oil is safe to use in an LSD box. Oil recommendations would also be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Elf Tranself NFP 75W-80 Transmission Fluid it’s OE fluid and by all accounts the best for the gearbox.

It’s what I used on my RS250 think you need 2.1 litres from memory .. but I’d check that :smile:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillyA and Conoboy like this.
  3. ^^^this^^^

4. Thanks for the replies.
    Will buy some of the elf nsp 75w80. I assume the filler hole is on the side of the gearbox (altho I haven’t checked). Does the elf oil come with a tube to make filling the gearbox easier? If not what do you guys suggest is the best method to get the oil into the gearbox. Cheers.

5. It is on the side of the gearbox easy to spot once you have the under tray off and stood under there, if using a ramp obviously.

They didn’t have a nozzle, I bought a big syringe off Amazon and filled it using that with some clear hose connected. You just top up till it starts to flow out the hole.

If you want to fully drain I’d get a new drain plug and washer as well was only a few £ and you will need a 8mm square drain plug socket if I remember correctly to undo it.

YouTube vid good overview when I looked about before doing my car :wink:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lopes3d likes this.
  6. What other oils are recommended for the transmission?
    Cant find any Elf NFP in the area I live.

7. You don’t need friction modifiers for the standard 265 differential

If the standard oil Spec says GL4 then stick to it, our experience suggests that some GL5 oils are not as kind to brass components as others

Looks like Reno’ are now selling NFX75 for these boxes

8. Reviving this thread on Gearbox oil. As Paul stated, looks like ELF now sell Tranself NFX 75W to replace the NFP 75W previously sold. I'll go with that. Cheers all.