Lower arms subframe mounting hole ovaled off.

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by andrewjeffs, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Been getting a very loud metallic clank under load from my R26 for a while now.
    It had been checked and MOT`d since,but somehow it was missed that both of my newly fitted Wishbones were loose.With the loose bolts under load,the mounting holes in the subframe are now oval shaped,instead of what i assume should be a tight fitting round hole.
    I have no idea how the holes have ovaled over so quick,as i doubt its done 400 miles since a complete suspension and bush overhaul.
    My Renault tech thinks if the nuts are torqued up,the oval hole will not be a problem,but i just cant see the bolt holding true,and surely the geo will be all over the place?

He said its very common for these nuts to come loose,but i was horrified by how much the hole has ovaled off so fast,which makes me think that maybe its done this over time?

Basically what should i do...is it worth welding some washer over the oval to bring it back to a circular
    mounting,or is it a new subframe job?..
    Also what torque for the nuts,as my renault tech says he always over torques these nuts due to them undoing by themselves..

2. Hi Andrew! I can´t see what hole exactly you mean. An image would be fine for this stupid man! Anyway, if it is the I suppose one, I would´t worry to much. You can try to fit an autoblock nut, or my old school trick, one nut over other.

3. 0_0_633662f8a8627b4f3998bcb671f8e5d0_1-jpg.jpg

The wishbone mounting bolt "D",where its attached to the subframe.
    The mounting holes on the subframe are worn into a oval shape.
    I have a pic on my phone,but it wont upload..but its pretty fkn horrendous the wear on the subframe.
    Hole is at least 6-8mm to large now.

manugtt likes this.
  4. Which hole is oval, the front one on the d bush or the rear? The rear hole on the d bush where the nut goes on is oval as original from what i can see, and b is also oval. I assume its all for a little bit of adjustment if necessary.

Pics of my spare subframe

Front hole 20210728_234206.jpg
    Rear hole 20210728_234216.jpg

Im sure its 80 nm for the front bolts and 105nm for the rears, but double check.

5. Ok now! In that case I agree with you, an oval hole can´t be good for the alignement along the time:sleepy: Your idea (to weld good washers) would work, I think. The perfect would be a new subframe, but is a lot of job as you know.
    I have the same problem to upload pics now, by the way!!

6. :sleepy::sleepy::sleepy:

7. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

this is a space subframe ive got for mire, i think they are oval from factory

Attached Files:

andrewjeffs likes this.
  8. Looks normal from seeing the pic and comparing mine and Matt's subframes. The nut has loads of area to cover it, wont have any issues when torqued up. Clio and Kangoo subframes are the same from memory.

andrewjeffs likes this.
  9. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

And the outline where the nut sits looks round, you'd expect it to look oval if it's been moving

Brigsy likes this.
  10. its been moving,as the back of the nut is damaged,and was getting a horrendous clank when loading suspension.Also car was slewing all over the road when you came on and off the power.The mechanic said the nut was very loose on the passenger side..Was going to get a subframe from ash gourmley,but maybe i dont need it now if you guys are saying its oval from the factory..

11. i just phoned the mechanic to ask him how loose it was..he said when he put a bar on the wishbone,the nut and bolt where moving up and down.But if that hole is oval as standard,then hopefully i am ok anyhow.
    Cant understand why the front hole is circular but the back oval?..just seems odd.
    maybe its just to make sure the bolt passes through, if you have a little room for movement ,when passing the bolt through the subframe..

Brigsy and manugtt like this.
  12. I´m confused! It isn´t normal to me, but Matt and Brigsy make me doubt with the pic. I keep on mind and will check it on the next Clio/Espace/Kangoo that arrive to my garage.
    Anyway, and thinking better, wouldn´t have problems once torqued, as Brigsy says.

Brigsy likes this.
  13. It is a little bit bizarre but can only imagine the oval hole is there to help the bolt go through just incase its slightly off with the front subframe mount. Be sound once torqued up. Rear bolts need to be tight too or they will move causing the too to be off.

14. if you look at brigsys kangoo build thread..the kangoos subframe has a oval mounting hole on it..not the same location as R26,but a very clear oval bolt hole..

Brigsy likes this.