250 Low coolant level and VVT temperature

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by hooverphonique, Aug 11, 2016.

1. So, about two months ago, I was using the Torque app with Renault adv addon to show what is called the "VVT temperature", which is supposed to be oil temperature (disclaimer: since this is third party software, it may of course be faulty).
    I was driving on the motorway, and noticed that in 6th gear over 3000rpm, the VVTtemperature seemed to be steadily rising, and immediately falling again when backing slightly off the throttle (with coolant temp sitting rock steady at 86C all the time).
    When it reached 110C, I stopped my stint to avoid cooking the oil (during normal driving it looks to be correct, sitting somewhere between 80C-90C (which is also the range in which the coolant temp sits)). Has anyone of you experienced the same scenario?

About 3 weeks ago, I noticed that the coolant level was extremely low, and over several occasions, it has now had around 2L topped up, and is now sitting at the min level and appears to stay there, so could have been air in the system from when it was serviced at Renault in February (if that is the case, whoever did it, did an awful job). So, the coolant temp has looked normal while driving with low coolant, but depending on where it is picked up, does not necessarily say much about the cooling performance.

Could the funky VVT temp behavior have something to do with this? (I should say that I don't have any VVT temp readings over 3000rpm motorway driving from before the service/low coolant level, so don't know how it behaved earlier).

Sorry for the long post.

Cheers..

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016