Loss of throttle response with KTEC induction kit

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by andrewjeffs, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Just had the KTEC kit put on my R26,and it defiantly has lost some low down response.
    My Renaulttech mate noticed it as well.

Anyone else noticed this?

It has a RS Tuning stage 1...I wonder if it needs a map tweak now?dont really want a noise maker that delivers nothing.

Thought in the ktec blurb,they said it gives 12bhp out the box?

2. it will need a map tweak before you see any hp increase. The loss of low down response is typical when fitting a much freer flowing filter.

3. Rs tuning is half way up the country for me.I assume it would have to be tweaked on site,and not uploaded on a remote box

wms_f1 likes this.
  4. It would still make more power if it allowing more/cold air flow into the engine. Cold air is more dense so combust better. If its the filter thats at the back of the engine there will be no air flow. I fitted a itg to my dads meganes 225. before it was 260 and once fitted on pauls dyno it made 273 bhp without a map

Micky1991 and ewant81 like this.
  5. I am perhaps a bit cynical with these, perhaps it's better to say that to take full advantage it would work better mapped in. Bear in mind that a freer flowing filter will improve top end power, maybe not so much at the lower end.

6. This^

These type of air filter always improve top end but you'll lose torque and low end power. Also you'll get more heat soak than an OEM filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zappo_RS likes this.
  7. Don't forget the air has to go through an intercooler before actually reaching the engine..

8. This is what I thought..so really marginally increased air temp, shouldn't make any difference

9. Ktec wont answer my emails about tweaking my map..great customer service

10. Lol, are you asking for a free remap? Can't see them turning down good money.

11. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Not got a phone?

12. I had the K-TEC induction on my R26 with a re-map at K-TEC by Andy Cutler and the car made 285bhp and 290 ft/lbs (dialed back from over 300 for saftey) on their Dyno. I also had installed an AIRTEC intercooler and the car was rock solid with no problems and extensive track use.
    Suggest you get on the phone and talk to Sean who will sort you out.

TEV250 likes this.
  13. umm no..i just asked what I needed to do..i don't think ktec do anything for free..have you seen the pricelist!
    More than happy to pay.

14. you see..its lucky we have these forums for people with real technical knowledge...Now where do I get one of these `phone` things from??

15. Did get a email today from sean.
    he said the ecu is now locked to RS Tuning,so they cant tweak the existing map.

However,he did say the adaptives in the ECU need to be reset, that should be the limit of the requirements. This can be done apparently using Renault Clip.

16. Wouldn't disconnecting the battery for 20 mins reset the adaptives??

17. my Renault tech mate is looking at it..i will ask him this..cheers

18. After fitting the ktec intake to my 275R I gained top end power at the expense of throttle response.
    I got the throttle response back on mine after I completely removed the sound symposer pipe. Obviously a remap is the final solution but the sound pipe mod helped mine an awful lot. This only applies to MK3 Meganes of course. Oh & I tried disconnecting the battery overnight when I first installed the intake hoping the ECU may re-learn & adjust but it did nothing.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  19. Can you explain further the removal of the symposer pipe ? Is this a mod we can do with the oem box ? Why will it give back throttle response? power gains?

20. I don't want to hijack the op's thread. But you simply remove the noise generator from the bulkhead to the engine (you need to remove the battery box to access it). I removed it as the increased noise produced after installing the Ktec intake was unbearable & the improved throttle response was a bonus (NOT power gains). I'm not sure you'd need/want to remove it from a standard car as there is no noise or throttle response issues with the car in standard trim from my experience.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    ToritoRS likes this.
  21. The what?

22. my Renault tech thinks it does need the adaptives reset.
    he said it would adapt in time,but it would take ages.

Havnt had time yet to take it in to get him to do it yet,but I hope it does help.
    I will probally take it off if I don't get back the sharp throttle response..even though it does sound nice and fruity now.

23. This is a sound generator pipe, it exists simply to take noise from the intake system & to pipe it into the cabin. Most manufacturers do it now with similar systems to this or with fake sounds through the speakers.

IMG_3265 - Copy.JPG

Frimley111R likes this.
  24. The things you learn! I'll have a look on my 265.

25. Just some comments before everyone starts removing this 'nosie generator'. Removing this pipe has 0 effect whatsoever. Don't get me wrong, but the 'increased throttle response' you experience is nothing more than a placebo effect.

The 'noise generator' is a closed enclosure with only a pipe connected to the intake manifold (and the pipe you point out connecting the noise generator to the cabin). The enclosure has a membrane which resonates due to the air resonating within your intake manifold (pistons go up and down, creating a back/forth-kinda-ish movement of the air within the intake manifold, hence this effect is amplified by the 'nose generator's membrane'). The noise generator does not let air through through the second pipe connecting the noise generator to the cabin; this would actually lead to boost pressure loss if that were the case..

So, as it is a completely closed off system, there is simply no gain to be had from removing it (either removing the noise generator entirely and blanking off the pipe, or only removing the second pipe connecting the noise generator to the cabin).

So, either your noise generator was faulty and leaking, or, as I said, you experience simply a placebo effect.

Furthermore, having your car mapped to a new intake is simply ridiculous. Please enlighten me how one should remap a car where only the intake filter (as its simply nothing more) is changed. By all, completely removing any filter on the intake piping should increase throttle response (i.e. there are less barriers for the air to overcome to reach the turbo compressor wheel), and surely not decrease throttle response.

Don't get me wrong, but I have the feeling that you are all experiencing the effect of 'lag in throttle response' due to you finally hearing the turbo spooling up, hence amplifying the perceived effect that your turbo is spooling up slower. Nothing of this is the case. Your turbo is still functioning exactly the same, and it is certainly not spooling any slower than would be the case with the more restrictive stock intake box.

James Myers and -Jamie- like this.
  26. [emoji122]

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

TEV250 and TymenJ like this.
  27. I noticed the loss of response immediately ,the Renault tech that fitted it,and knows my car well noticed it immediately.
    So we both must be imagining things then.

So its not reasonable to assume , that if more air is entering the engine due to a less restrictive intake,
    The ecu will need time,or its parameters reset to adapt.

28. @tymen...Firstly if your addressing me, I advised nobody to remove anything, I simply reported on my experience (try reading my post).
    Secondly as stated twice already I simply removed the noise generator because of the annoying increased noise created once the new intake was fitted & the improvement in throttle response which was lost fitting the new intake was a side benefit.
    I noticed the same loss of throttle response after fitting a similar intake to my RS200 (this improved once the car was remapped).
    To state changing from a closed airbox panel filter to an open pod type filter will have no effect is simply naïve.
    If your speaking from experience & didn't suffer the loss in response others have when fitting such an intake then that's nice for you, but if your simply speculating... well then opinions are like bums...everybody has one.
    As for a placebo effect...no offence but your wrong.
    I'll opt out of this conversation here as the op's thread has been hijacked enough already (my apologies if I inadvertently helped contribute to this).

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  29. Again, it is simply impossible that throttle response increased due to removing the second pipe from the noise generator to your cabin. Nothing passes through that tube, nothing. So don't call me naive, but that pipe is nothing more than a conducer of vibrating sound waves in a closed system. Anyone telling you otherwise, even 'Renault Techs', don't know the workings of this noise generator.

Also, keeping at the OP's question, the ECU is a very sophisticated unit on the Mk3 RS (as opposed to the Mk2 RS, where one could easily induce overboosting by manual mechanical changes to the intake/wastegate actuator etc, I have tested this extensively). With the MK3 RS, one cannot tamper whatsoever with the fixed parameters that are in the ECU's mapping. You couldn't even induce overboost when one fixed the friggin wastegate to max boost; the throttle valve will simply shut completely (Mk2 RS did not do this).

As the MK3 RS has very sophisticated feedback loops in place to have a _very_ steady air input (i.e. boost pressure), no matter what changes you make to the intake, the car will behave exactly the same.

I have tested this extensively with my Mk3 RS and datalogged all the engine parameters. Changing from the standard airbox to the open air filter did not alter anything. No changes in boost, no changes in engine timing, injector duty cycles, throttle position, wastegate pwm, air/fuel signal.

So please, don't call me naive. People who are willing to spent 300+ pounds on a remap after fitting a tiny new filter (because some masses on forums tell them so), they are naive.

TEV250 and James Myers like this.
  30. targa RS said nothing about` Renault techs` Tymen
    ,I DID,as he stated..Probably best you read his post through, before commenting.

I hope your comment isn't a pop at my `reanault tech` friend.
    The guy is a highly experienced Renault main dealer mechanic/technician,with 20 years experience..not a apprentice grease monkey.

Just to clarify,its a mk2 R26 I have.

KTEC themselves said a remap is not in order.
    KTEC state the system will make increased power,and others have stated the itg system makes power on the dyno..is this all nonsense then?..

I have been around the meganesport scene from the start,and have to say,was very sceptical about induction kits etc, making any additional power..Just thought I would give it a go, just to see for myself.

Soon find out if the adaptives reset sorts out the throttle hesitation,if it doesn't...expect to see it in the`for sale` section!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    Micky1991 likes this.
  31. Just to clarify..after a few weeks of driving,as I don't use the car much..the throttle response has vastly improved,as well as a bit more shove at the top of the rev range.
    The ecu took time by itself to adapt the paramenters,but it got there in the end.

Actually a very worthwhile addition to the car,and I was as sceptical as anybody else this would just be a noise maker.
    Shame its so pricey for what you actually get for your money,but I am happy enough..looks neat in the engine bay.

I was actually supriised by the noise it makes..it doesn't roar like some inductions do..it really just sounds like amplified turbo spin up,and after 4k the noise disappears.

32. All the cars with turbo's that I've had always give you that sound instead of the normal induction roar. I had an Evo 9 with a GT30 turbo and 4" air intake, when that came on boost it sounded like you could Hoover up small children from the side of the road :tearsofjoy:

33. ha ha..it is a addictive noise though..sounds a bit naff coming from a 40+ year old,but there you go.

34. Nothing wrong with that, i'm 36 and I cant get enough of the V8 roar from my C63