225 Loss of power at random rev ranges.

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Adam, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Megane 225 F1

Everything spot on so far, changed the spark plugs a couple of weeks ago, oil and filter change too. All been fine.

Power delivery has been spot on until today. I put some fuel(momentum) in at Tesco and set off fine, got to some NSL roads and noticed the revs seem limited. Say in 2nd, it wouldn't get above 5k and seemed to hover around with power. Moving up gears keeping at lowish revs it would get up to speed no problem.

It seems to be hit and miss, it would do it in 1st gear once but another time i could max it out. Same for 2nd gear, then i would get to third and it would hesitate and stick at around 3k and feel rough ish.

It has a forge dump valve on, this looks and sounds fine when releasing pressure as it always has done. It's not stuck, its open when the engine is on and closes when i turn it off.

All the pipes seem to be on properly as they always have been. No engine management light on, not sure if a code would happen with no lights appearing but i'm going to find the code reader out and see if anything has popped up.

There seems to be an extra humming when sat inside the car coming from the engine bay, only slightly like an extra deep fan sound in the distance and the exhausts seem to not be settled like its idling a little rough but doesn't seem it from inside the car.

No smoke, no extra sounds. I'm confused!

Anyone have any idea on things i could check?

Thanks.

Adam.

2. Was it up to temp ?

3. Yes, up to temp, nothing higher or lower, this was the same after a run on the motorway too so everything was warm.

4. Change the thermostat, that's the problem, same on mine, the stat has a plastic base that crumbles over time and let water past so effectively allows the engine to circulate its water all the time, the temp gauge only has to be a tad lower and the revs will restrict, tried alsorts on mine before finding this, engine pulls hard again and it's better on fuel

5. You think it could be that? I just feel it could be worse with it being intermittent 'ish

So i've been out for a little bit in it. Had another good look around the engine bay and everything seems to look well, coolant level well, gets up to temperature well.

Drive about one: Didn't limit on power until around 3rd gear for a couple of seconds at around 4k'ish then was fine in 4th.

Drive about two: delivered all power correctly through the gears i could get to as if nothing was a problem!

Drive about three: turned the engine off before this one, sat for 10 minutes or so, started up and went and did the same lap i had been doing. Boom, around 2300rpm in each gear i was limited on power. Was slow to get up to speed.

Drive back home: Was up an hill, set off fine then decided it didn't want to go above 1200rpm in each gear, i couldn't actually really get anywhere was it was a steep incline. Pulled onto a side street, turned the engine off, back on again and it stalled as it dropped revs when starting up. Tried again, started up fine and let me drive it fine (steadily, didn't really give it anything about 2k as i just wanted to get home)

Really really confused.

Here are a couple of pictures from the OBD2 reader. I don't actually think it will mean much but thought i would post it up anyway. No fault codes are listed at all. This was done just before the first run.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Two days later, i've not really gone to any high revs. I did however wait until my fuel was low and put some Nitro from Shell. It seemed to happen after i put £20 in a nearly empty tank of Momentum. Could be nothing to do with it, but maybe it did. We'll see soon enough if its still there. I think it is as i still have an extra low quiet hum from the front when inside the car.