R26 Loose hose in engine bay

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by james.moseley.37, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Any idea what this should be connected to?! It drops down into the wing area out of sight and seems to be connected at that end. Found it tucked down alongside the battery. It's probably 6mm external diameter.

b952562f86abb5ee51ea16e268423ee1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

caymanr26 likes this.
  2. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

It's a vent pipe that fits to the standard battery.

Mikey4410 likes this.
  3. Thanks for that! That's a proper safety precaution that Renault took... Never seen another car with anything other than a vent pipe on the battery itself. I'm guessing most people pull it out and sling it?

4. Yeah rip that piece of shite out.

5. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

yes that's that's the best thing to do.
    It's not just Renault, my Merc has the same on both batteries, replacement batteries don't have the facility to use them so they were binned.

6. Think you’ll find it’s not battery vent but the battery holder drain pipe that should be hanging bellow the battery tray and drains any fluid away safely. Whoever’s removed the battery has failed to locate it correctly and left it bent upwards from underneath the tray. Also means the tray is sitting lopsided squashing the pipe, shoddy work

7. Interesting theory given that the battery tray doesn’t have any point to drain water away from...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. remove your battery, follow the item you're concerned about and let us know where it leads to

9. It runs down into the void behind the front bumper and isn't connected to anything at the other end. I'm confident it isn't supposed to be a fluid drain as the bore is so small that it would block all too easily; possibly even wouldn't allow water to flow down it.

10. Here’s foto of bottom battery bay, here you can see the channel that collects any liquid, mid channel you can see the drain hole your item should be connected to and would drain any liquid away safely to below the engine/gearbox.

Attached Files:

11. Must be a different car, my engine bay looks nothing like that!

12. Same drain pipe though with identical push fit end

13. Interesting, just watched an unrelated video on YouTube where that same pipe on a Clio is attached to the battery vent...

14. Oh well done, you’ve solved the issue, must have had new sealed battery with no drain hole so pipe is redundant

15. Also just found an original photo in someone else’s thread of a new megane and that pipe does indeed go to the battery as previously suggested by others. Never seen it on a car before - and certainly not a more modern one where sealed batteries are more common place!