225 Lockdown... going to do the service myself

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Stephen Portlock, Jan 6, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Hey guys,

Hope you’re all well!

As we’re in lockdown I think I’m going to do an oil service myself, done plenty in the past!

Questions though...

What oil would you recommend?
    What spark plugs? Do they need regapping? Torque level on plugs?

All of this on a MKII 225 Cup

Thanks,

Steve.

2. NGK bkreix7 gapped to 0.6mm

Stephen Portlock likes this.
  3. Stephen Portlock likes this.
  4. Just serviced mine. Got the filter, sump washer, oil, pollen filter etc from KamRacing this time but used RPD last year. Oil I used was the Renault Castrol stuff. Got 6 Ltrs as I let a bit of new oil run out before I put the sump plug back in.
    CASTROL GTX RN710 5W40

5. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

Shell helix ultra 5w40
    NGK PFR7Z-TG (25Nm)
    renault filter or purflux (same as renault)

Conoboy and Stephen Portlock like this.
  6. yep..same as me..Always used to use the OEM ELF Renault 5w40..but now have gone over to Helix.

7. The oil filter is tricky to reach,and even harder to stop the fkn oil from dripping all over the chassis.
    For the filter,i find a good set of long reach filter pliers are great for the job.
    I have also seen that people these days,fashion a tunnel out of card etc,to guide the oil down into the drain pan.
    also replace the drain plug washer,and make sure you have the correct square lug key to remove the plug in the first place..
    Normally its a 5L can of oil,and you will also need a 1L top up bottle,as 5L isnt quite enough.

8. thanks for the replies chaps. Much appreciated!

It does look a little tight to get too but got some long reach filter pliers luckily.
    Would that much oil come out of the filter hole?
    I was going to ask about the square lug... is it 8mm?
    Going to get 6 litres so I’ve got a bit left over and make sure I have a new washer.
    Ever used the Gold Plug Magnetic Sump Plug?
    Any advantages to using the Shell helix ultra 5w40?

9. matt e

I've got the goldplugs in my sump and the gearbox. They catch a lot of gunk. AP10 is the model you need.

Shell is all I've ever used since I had my engine rebuilt. It's always quite cheap off eBay or euros/CP4L.

A little bit of oils comes out, but not too much

10. I’ve been editing a video of the oil service I did on mine recently and it might be helpful for you. I’ll try and get it posted over the next couple of days. [emoji1303]

11. awesome, thanks mate. I’ll get them ordered.
    That’s a good enough recommendation for me. Well priced that oil.

12. yeah that would be great. Let me know when you’ve finished it pal.

13. matt e

14. Thanks mate

15. Here you go, mate. I hope it helps.

Stephen Portlock and Poppaboost like this.
  16. Another good watch Leigh.

Leigh likes this.
  17. see what i mean about the spillage down the front of the block and sump...nearly running down his sleeve when taking the filter out...:grimacing:

Stephen Portlock and Leigh like this.
  18. Thanks mate.

19. Yep, it’s a bit of a pain if you’re not careful. I let the filter drain for quite a while too.
    I also don’t really like to let it just run down the block either but you don’t really have much choice. I cut a fair amount of cleaning out of the video.
    I like the idea of fashioning some sort of funnel so I might have a go at that next time. [emoji1303]

20. Having a sandwich plate also helps, steps the filter away from the engine another 40+mm, also gives a bit better access to the filter to undo it

21. like i said...i have seen people use card like a drape,to steer the oil into the pan..crap design.

22. Tried foil last time but didn’t work great. Thought of using cling film as well. :grinning:. For the coil connectors, mine were just brittle plastic and broke but the wires and terminals were fine so just pushed these into the new plastic housings so no crimping/soldering needed. Only took a couple of mines to change over.

23. awesome video, thanks for posting!

24. guaranteed I get covered in oil

25. Never knew these were a thing mate! I’ll have a google

26. I know what the next question is :laughing::laughing::laughing:

m20x1.5

27. ...

28. So, finally got round to doing the service!

Got covered in oil when taking the filter out

When removing the coil packs, two were knackered and one fell apart! Searched everywhere and managed to find some not too far away. They’re HAAS ones, it’s all I could get, I’m sure they’ll be fine!
    ITG panel filter and replaced the boost hose.

Took her for a good drive and after a number miles, throw her around castle Coombe B roads, she come back to life!

F1EEA85D-5E13-4DE3-A7A3-77A43BE598FC.jpeg CA963A33-F002-4481-B798-604E479CF9DB.jpeg F17CA016-1DC2-4C4A-84D4-1EB152E4A50B.jpeg 0C0A5C07-793F-4EB1-AF75-CE9DD6C3AD50.jpeg

matt e likes this.